Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any point trying ripwave?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I've gotten the impression it's crap.
    But I live about 100m from a mast
    (Though about 20 of those meters are made up of thick concrete building.)
    And the semi-mobility of it and absence of requirement for a wired connection would be handy for me.
    is the latency crap like with 3g connections?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

pwd wrote: »
    Compared to a 4Mbps DSL connection, yes. But compared to dial up it is grand.

20 Metres of concrete?? Where do you live, in the middle of Mountjoy? The concrete could be a problem. Is it really 20 metres of concrete?
    And the semi-mobility of it and absence of requirement for a wired connection would be handy for me.

Its not as portable as you think. You still need to plug it in. You can get batteries for them, but they tend to cost as much as the yoke itself. As for the latency, well wireless does have issues with latency. This is true for all wireless connections. If you want it for anything that needs very low ping times, then I would avoid it. But if you want it for Web browsing, Email, it is fine. You can use skype over it, but I wouldn't use anything else at the same time. But it is great for torrents(of legal content obviously) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

pwd wrote: »
    Even if you live 2m from the BTS, your connection will be sub-par.

It's handy for basic web browsing. Forget having a seamless VoIP conversation and any half decent gaming experience. The jitter is incredible, and cannot maintain a constant stream of data.

The latency is as bad as a bad 3G connection.

I gave up on mine 2 months into the 6 month contract not two months ago. The network is congested and you will not get near 1Mb down if you opt for Ripwave Plus. In-fact, most hours of the day, I was getting less than 512Kb. On average I was getting 100-300Kb. My friends who had the service either had it as bad as me, or worse. I've never met or come across as satisfied customer.

Steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

it depends on where you are (how many people are using it in your area) and what you are useing it for a friend of mine has it and is very happy.

but he only uses it for web browsing and some downloading.

u must live near the clarion hotel if you are only 100m away from the mast

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I've still got it, 1meg connection...aint all bad, never cuts out and its not far off being like a 1m dsl connection

will still be dumping it when the contract runs out for NTL tho :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

well it has no dl cap, if you get less than 150k per sec bring it back to shop within 5/7 days with box .cdrom,receipt ,get a refund.ITS los ,line of sight ,if theres a building between you and aerial ,you,ll get a bad signal,or you may put it in windowsill, 1st floor ,connect pc using 20ft ethernet cable,just plug a cable into the rj45 socket of ripwave unit.
    but a usb 3 modem is like 20euro per month, 10gig dl limit,thats download/upload data limit.it has to be on a window ,or facing glass door,window,the signal does not pass thru concrete.i got 5bars ,250k per sec ,gave it back after 1 year.ten bars is the max signal strength.
    for some casual users ,its ok ,its no use for online gaming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement