Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallows in house

Options
  • 22-07-2008 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

Am currently building a house, for which the windows are due to be installed in early September.

Unfortunately a swallow has built her nest in the guest bedroom (!) and is currently rearing some chicks in it.

Does anyone know when they will leave the nest & when it will be safe to put in a window?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I was watching the RSPCA programme on animal planet and something similar happened. They had to stop building until the birds flew the nest, that was england though so the law probably isn't the same here.

Forgot to add by September they will have flown the nest so nothing to worry about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's 2 threads, one in DIY and one in Nature and Birdwatching. Basically it's illegal to knock them own and they take from 22 to 56 days depending on the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Zingy

That's ok so - have no problem with the swallows as long as they are outside the house. They can hang out in the eaves next year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

What a clever bird - choosing the guest bedroom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

We used to have them in our old porch but now since we built on they have come back and nest in the eaves. Felt so guilty when we had to take down old sheds as well. But they are nesting on two sides of the neighbours and they have already reared one lot of chicks, the first nest they built fell down, it must of been too dry but they re built it and are on their second lot which must be almost ready to fledge.

If the window has to go in you could then leave the window open putting a sticker or something on any part of the window that can't be opened. Prob best to leave it for now if you can. Mind you when they are due back next year keep the windows closed just in case lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Swallows leave the nest between 17 and 24 days after hatching so they'll be long gone by September.

(Swallows nest inside buildings. If there are birds in the eaves next year, they will probably be House Martins.)

I never knew that. Feel guilty now - they'll be pretty annoyed when they come back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

This might be a ridiculously sentimental thing to say, but your new house is obviously very welcoming if a swallow sees fit to raise her babies there. I would imagine it's going to be a very happy house.

(que people telling me to stop humanising animals etc) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Helena, Stop humanising animals!:D:D

Swallows usually frequent creeking, draughty old barns, so stop casting aspersions on the OPs nice new home. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:D

• Advertisement

It is timber frame so does actually resemble a creaky old barn at the mo! The five swallows have now flown the nest - four of them are flying above it each day but one of them was killed by a cat before it got out of the house. Four out of five isn't too bad i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

This might be a ridiculously sentimental thing to say, but your new house is obviously very welcoming if a swallow sees fit to raise her babies there. I would imagine it's going to be a very happy house.

(que people telling me to stop humanising animals etc) ;)

It is actually considered very good luck to have swallows/house martins in your house!

We have house-martins in our gable-end this year for the first time, I've been having great fun watching them.

Advertisement