Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build...opinions please.

Options
  • 22-07-2008 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi,
    After deciding against a Dell XPS 630 after some opinions here and some very bad reviews I'm thinking of getting one built.

A friend of a friend has sent me the following spec.

Opinions please........

Q6600
    (no point buying better really as so easy to overclock. over 3ghz your bottleneck will be ram/disks etc)

Arctic cooling freezer pro 7
    (great cpu cooler. no thermal compound required)

Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R.
    (great board. there is no faster motherboard that you'd notice. lock mem to speed of your ram and change bus to 333 for 3ghz Q6600. easy peasy. solid as a rock. takes DDR2 or DDR3. DDR3 will not give you a speed gain though)

Corsair 1066 dominator RAM or 800 XMS2. 2GB or 4GB.

MOBI 3000 or 7500 64GB SSD.
    (The fastest solid state disk bar a hyperdrive which is out of budget. use this as system disk. MOBI 3000 is much cheaper and gives 95% of the performance)

Any old SATAII 7200RPM disk as data drive.
    (they are all the same speed. Velociraptor is a teeny bit quicker but not much)

Coolermaster IGREEN PSU 600W+
    (very efficient. will reduce your electric costs. Big PSUs dont cost more money to run, and dells come with crap PSUs)

Any old DVD drive
    (liteon are traditionally best)

Any NVIDIA 8800GT+ card or 9800GX2.
    Forget crossfire. Forget SLI.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

All looks good to me.

Advertisement