Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX Warranty/ Ipod Headphones

Options
  • 22-07-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭

Right two seperate problems here and im not very hopeful of either being solved.

Bought my XBOX in Smyths toy shop this year and then recently got the ring of death. I knew I didnt have the receipt so I would just have to go Microsoft Directly, thats fine. However when I was registering the XBOX online I saw that my warranty ran out last november, several months before I bought the XBOX!!

So I talked to Microsoft and they said that Smyths should have it on record when I bought my XBOX and to contact them and get them to give me a proof of purchase and Mircrosoft would update my warranty. Smyths would do nothing since I didn't have the receipt.

On another note, I'm nearly sure they are breaking the law because they also told me that if I had the receipt and came back with the broken XBOX they would do nothing as I have to take it up with Microsoft. Do Smyths by law not have to fix it once its under warranty.

The other problem is my Ipod headphones; they are fecked and its really annoying because I love them and I have it registered online so it is under warranty. Do you think there is any chance of Apple repairing them or sending me out a new pair.

Im really just being hopefull here!!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Apple will send you out new headphones.

Did you give your name/address/phone when you bought your xbox in Smyths?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Raoul

Are you sure they will send me out new headphones?? I would be unbelievably happy if they did.

No they didn't take my address or anything but microsoft said they should have the serial number.

I used to sell Apple products. When someone had faulty headphones (in warranty, I think it may only be 6 months on headphones but the website / helpline will confirm) I would register them on the Apple website, go to the faulty section or whatever and follow prompts. They would (sometimes) ask for credit card details to confirm the faulty headphones would be returned. Otherwise you could try and ring them if you like.

Smyths may or may not have taken the serial number. Did you pay cash or credit card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Raoul wrote: »
    On another note, I'm nearly sure they are breaking the law because they also told me that if I had the receipt and came back with the broken XBOX they would do nothing as I have to take it up with Microsoft. Do Smyths by law not have to fix it once its under warranty.

Two reasons they might say that.
    1. They're being lazy.
    2. They're being honest. It might actually be quicker and easier for you to deal direct with MS on this issue, as it's a well known one and MS will act quickly on it. If you deal with Smyths, you'd be waiting for them to return the Xbox, and then waiting on them to contact you when MS replaced it. This could add extra time and effort that could be avoided.

They are bound by law to deal with your return though, they can't simply shrug it off onto MS.

Without proof of purchase, receipt or credit card statement, you have no comeback. There's no detail about the serial number of my Xbox on my Smyths receipt, so they probably don't have yours recorded either. The barcode number from the box is on the receipt, but that's not the same as the serial on the back of the console, so I assume this is the same for all Elite boxes. As such, Smyths will have no record of the sale, and won't be able to chase it up, unless you paid be card.

Thats what I thought, thanks jor_el anyway. The thing about them not giving repairing your xbox, I knew that they wouldn't without the receipt but I'm just saying for other people that had the receipt, should Smyths not be responsible by law?

Thanks random. I tried going on the website and yes you need a credit card to do it online, which I dont have so I will ring tomorrow. The warranty doesn't run out until February 08. There is no reason why they should have stopped working. The thing I fear is that I am going to send them away and then they will say that it was my fault and then charge me for delivery.

• Advertisement

Thats what I thought, thanks jor_el anyway. The thing about them not giving repairing your xbox, I knew that they wouldn't without the receipt but I'm just saying for other people that had the receipt, should Smyths not be responsible by law?

Thanks random. I tried going on the website and yes you need a credit card to do it online, which I dont have so I will ring tomorrow. The warranty doesn't run out until February 08. There is no reason why they should have stopped working. The thing I fear is that I am going to send them away and then they will say that it was my fault and then charge me for delivery.
    Yes, Smyths are obliged to deal with your problems by law if you have the receipt.

With the headphones in the long run you're probably better off just buying a new pair imo.. but up to yourself!

I will see what they say anyway! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Right two seperate problems here and im not very hopeful of either being solved.

Bought my XBOX in Smyths toy shop this year and then recently got the ring of death. I knew I didnt have the receipt so I would just have to go Microsoft Directly, thats fine. However when I was registering the XBOX online I saw that my warranty ran out last november, several months before I bought the XBOX!!

So I talked to Microsoft and they said that Smyths should have it on record when I bought my XBOX and to contact them and get them to give me a proof of purchase and Mircrosoft would update my warranty. Smyths would do nothing since I didn't have the receipt.

The other problem is my Ipod headphones; they are fecked and its really annoying because I love them and I have it registered online so it is under warranty. Do you think there is any chance of Apple repairing them or sending me out a new pair.

Im really just being hopefull here!!
    Thanks!

Deal with MS direct smyths won't give you a replacment once its a few months old they'll just ship it off for you but to be honest your better off dealing with it yourself less waiting time and its picked up and delivered straight to your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

the distributers will have details of which serial numbers have gone to different shops etc and theoretically should be able to trace back where any x-box was sold from the serial number.

Would Microsoft not be the distributors??

Good thinking anyway.

And on the IPOD headphones, eh I wont be bothering with that. Won one in the deep river rock competition. WOO!

• Advertisement
Advertisement