Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Lansdowne Road Stadium starts to take shape

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I do like the look of it but would rather a slightly higher capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

1huge1 wrote: »
    I do like the look of it but would rather a slightly higher capacity.

I think the capacity is dictated by the location. I think the IRFU & FAI would've liked closer to 80,000, but it just isn't possible. I heard it's the same design (more or less) as the Ashburton Grove - does anyone know if this is true?

I'm going away for the year in a few years. I'm looking forward to seeing the stadium when I get back.

Edit: what's the ownership status? Does the IRFU own the ground, but the new stadium is jointly financed with the FAI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I think it looks pretty cool. I like the shape, although, does it seem a bit odd,that behind one of the goals the stand is way way smaller than the one opposite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Terrible looking stadium if the conceptual drawings are anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I think it looks pretty cool. I like the shape, although, does it seem a bit odd,that behind one of the goals the stand is way way smaller than the one opposite?

That's the north end of the ground - there's not a lot of space to build a stand there which is why it's considerably smaller than the south end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

If it looks anything like this and has a capacity of at least 50,000 then I would I would definitely give it thumbs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

As long as FAI can stump up the cash.

The IRFU should never have got into bed with those idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

50K is about the right size.

Thw way both teams are going there would be empty seats if the capacity was much higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

zAbbo wrote: »
    As long as FAI can stump up the cash.

The IRFU should never have got into bed with those idiots.

qft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

hmmm... i became slightly confused when i saw the photos of the demolition in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Tom65 wrote: »
    I think the capacity is dictated by the location. I think the IRFU & FAI would've liked closer to 80,000, but it just isn't possible. I heard it's the same design (more or less) as the Ashburton Grove - does anyone know if this is true?

Quite a few of the engineers working on it are the same ones that worked on Ashburton Grove. Mind you the design would be down to the Architects not the Engineers.

See the conceptuals and i like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Croke Park got it all wrong with the uncovered end.
    That stadium will always look unfinished and out of balance.

These guys are now doing something equally blind by putting a tiny stand behind the goal.

It looks wrong and stupid.

Pal wrote: »

These guys are now doing something equally blind by putting a tiny stand behind the goal.

It like that due to resident complaints, something about blocking sunlight.

We probably would have had the stadium built at this stage if it wasn't for the complaints and the redesign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Stadium looks like a giant swimming pool in the concept art pics. Wtf is with the tiny stand? It looks smaller than the one at craven cottage. Is it going to be a stand or a mound of dirt?

I went by it on the DART the other day, starting to look like a stadium anyway, before that, with the deep foundations, you wouldn't have known what they were building!

I agree though, should be at least 65000-70000. Its all about keeping it in Dublin 4 unfortunately. If that wasnt a factor then they could have build a much larger and probably better stadium just outside the city.

Stadium looks like a giant swimming pool in the concept art pics. Wtf is with the tiny stand? It looks smaller than the one at craven cottage. Is it going to be a stand or a mound of dirt?

Agree. It makes no sense. they should have designed something else.
    This stadium is in danger of being just wrong.

Some of these arguments are silly "should be at least 65000-70000" and "should have designed something else. This stadium is in danger of being just wrong", no it shouldn't be 60-70,000 - the running costs for a stadium that size which would be full for a handful of games a year doesn't justify the expense.

It doesn't make sense to have two large staidums in such a small city (yes I'm counting the possibility of using 80,000 croke park)

The GAA might be able to fill 80,000 seats most of the summer, and guarantee huge income, but the IRFU/FAI cannot. - even with the possibility of Leinster using LR for big games!

The building costs have also risen by about 100m on what was budgeted, the FAI may also find it difficult to foot their half of the bill, whatever you think about the IRFU, the blazers in no. 10 Landsdowne road are excellent beancounters.

The residents complaints about the height of the stand was upheld, so thats why it's curved with a reduced height behind the goals.

It's a new modern stadium, and I'll be happy with that and the improved facilities (20,000 people leaving through more than 2 gates...)

The plans have been available for a long time now, no need to bring up the same arguments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Building Hill 16 to the same size as the other 3 sides was not economically viable for the GAA at the time CP was re-vamped, what with the railway line etc behind it and the engineering challenges it would present.

I am quite sure that when it does become a possibility it will be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Pigman II wrote: »
    How so? I think it looks good - all nice and 'ergonomic' looking!

Building Hill 16 to the same size as the other 3 sides was not economically viable for the GAA at the time CP was re-vamped, what with the railway line etc behind it and the engineering challenges it would present.

I am quite sure that when it does become a possibility it will be done.

Building a tunnel for the railway is hardly an engineering challenge. More like common sense. They cheapskated it and there's no will now to change anything.

• Advertisement

Some of these arguments are silly "should be at least 65000-70000" and "should have designed something else. This stadium is in danger of being just wrong"

The thing looks stupid to me.
    Nothing silly in that.
    What do you see ?

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

I'm looking forward to the stadium being completed and to be honest, I'll give my real opinion on what I think of the stadium after I have been there because until then, I don't know how I would give a proper verdict on it yet.

60025.jpg

You decide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

that picture isn't representative at all.

I see no United, Liverpool or Celtic tops...

Steve Staunton would put the ball out into the street !

Tauren wrote: »
    that picture isn't representative at all.

I see no United, Liverpool or Celtic tops...

Plus the crowd appear to be cheering? :confused:

The thing looks stupid to me.
    Nothing silly in that.
    What do you see ?

What do you propose then?

You can have a large 70,000 stadium which will never be built and would cost a fortune, or this revised 50k with the curves to appease the residents.

Some people begrudge things for the sake of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Plus the crowd appear to be cheering? :confused:

Someone has probably just cracked in a last minute equaliser against Cyprus.

• Advertisement

I actually like the small stand at one end. it's quirky and a relatively unique phenomenon for a 50,000 seater stadium.

What do you propose then?

You can have a large 70,000 stadium which will never be built and would cost a fortune, or this revised 50k with the curves to appease the residents.

Some people begrudge things for the sake of it

Never mind. This is going nowhere.

I actually like the small stand at one end. it's quirky and a relatively unique phenomenon for a 50,000 seater stadium.

Fair dues. Granted its quirky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It does have 3 or 4 tiers on 3 sides and is a nice design but you really have to see these things when they are finished to come to a conclusion. I would not say its like Croke Park because the design has the small side integrated with the actual stadium. Croke Park has an unfinished look that Lansdowne wont have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The small stand looks a bit stupid imo. Will be interested to see what the facilities are like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It's a giant potty!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Looks alright IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think it looks too bad. It's unique looking and by the time it's finished I think people will warm to it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I don't think it looks too bad. It's unique looking and by the time it's finished I think people will warm to it.
    Of course they will, this is Ireland. They will flock in their thousands to see something shiny and new...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i dont think it looks nice at all, although it is different!
    whens completion date?

do you think the big games will still be in croker?
    I mean 6 nations against England, it wouldnt make sense for the IRFU to turn away 30k people even if the rent of the stadium would offset any gain from increased capacity?

The additional 30,000 would generate over 2m in ticket sales alone. I'm not sure what the rental is, but I read somewhere that the FAI pocketed about 2m in profit per game in CP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Forget Landsdowne, there's only one important stadium being built at the moment.

The residents complaints about the height of the stand was upheld, so thats why it's curved with a reduced height behind the goals.

dig a hole and sink the stadium below street level if height was the problem.

the little stand looks like the cheap option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I like the look of the stadium. Went past it yesterday, seems to be coming along nicely indeed!

Regards CP, Hill 16 is protected AFAIK, plus the residents were deadset against having a full size stand there as it would block out so much light. Plus the railway is too close at the moment, the bottom tier would be raised too much.

Forget Landsdowne, there's only one important stadium being built at the moment.

While you're right about that.
    You got the wrong stadium!

attachment.php?attachmentid=7604&stc=1&d=1213650729

;) :P

While you're right about that.
    You got the wrong stadium!

attachment.php?attachmentid=7604&stc=1&d=1213650729

;) :P

Cool! I've always felt Ireland needed a stadium for Monster Truck derbies.

Cool! I've always felt Ireland needed a stadium for Monster Truck derbies.

Well monster truck is a good way of describing Paul O'Connell and the rest of the pack I suppose!

Sorry.
    Irelands succesfull teams just feel the need to lay new turf during the off season.
    The new pitch will be all nicely settled by the time they carry out the European Cup at the start of next sesaon!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

When this stadium should be finished and is it only purpose to be host of irish national team or some club?Besides Croke park is there any other similar nice stadium in Ireland or another project like this?

When this stadium should be finished and is it only purpose to be host of irish national team or some club?Besides Croke park is there any other similar nice stadium in Ireland or another project like this?

Croke Park: home of the GAA
    Lansdowne Road: home of the international Rubgy and Soccer teams.

these are the only real stadiums of the country that will be up to international level, another worth mentioning would be Thomond park, home of the Muster Rubgy team. It's currently being redeveloped to around 26000 capacity.

limerick_thomond1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

So it seems Ireland investing and trying to improve bad infrastructure,nice to see that,any info when this stadium you folks talking about is planned to be done?

So it seems Ireland investing and trying to improve bad infrastructure,nice to see that,any info when this stadium you folks talking about is planned to be done?

early 2010. but then again this is Ireland, nothing ever gets completed in time here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement