Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Lansdowne Road Stadium starts to take shape

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

This is Croke Park Delija, its the fifth largest stadium in Europe (according to wiki)

croke_park.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Yeah,i know Croke park,was watching some videos from match Ireland-Serbia so i saw its nice,i just dont like northern or southern part,not sure which is it,it would be fantastic if it would be same as the rest of stadium,but still stadium is good,is it renewed long ago?

early 2010. but then again this is Ireland, nothing ever gets completed in time here.

Well year more or less,its gonna be all ok.... if they dont say at some stage its gonna be finished till 2020.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I think it looks great!

With the roof as low as it seems in those photos, with any luck it'll help create a great atmosphere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's a giant potty!!!
    Forget the Rose Bowl, we got the Potty Bowl!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Yeah,i know Croke park,was watching some videos from match Ireland-Serbia so i saw its nice,i just dont like northern or southern part,not sure which is it,it would be fantastic if it would be same as the rest of stadium,but still stadium is good,is it renewed long ago?

croker was rebuilt in 4 different phases (one of the reasons the design looks a bit odd imo). first started in 95? the last finished in 03-04 i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

I like the design of the new stadium. Unlike some people, I'd rather the layout was slightly asymmetric to give the place a bit of character. While it's nice to see an impressive, circular ground like the Stade de France or Emirates, there's something a little sterile and faceless about them.

As already mentioned, the lower stand is being built like that as a condition of the planning. In the case of Hill 16, there were a number of factors in retaining the terrace. It was decided to be too difficult given the limited room behind to engineer a stand just like the others, the railway is not a factor as much as people think. If you know the area, you'd know that there is also a railway running beneath the Canal End/Davin Stand, so it's a moot point to say that the railway was the only problem. Other than that, the well documented historical significance and also the pitch were considered. Leaving the Hill 16 end of the ground open like that ensures that the pitch receives more natural elements like rain, wind and sun to develop the turf. If you've ever seen Croker in sunlight, every part of the grass gets sun, which is almost impossible in stadiums with a full 360 degree stand. Full circle stadiums are almost like closed roof stadiums at this point regarding the elements, which are a pain in the ass I think, but that's another debate.

The capacity is just right, as zAbbo said, it wouldn't be economical to build a stadium any bigger that will only be used ~10 times a year. I'm sure as the years pass on, Croke Park will be used for for the ocassional bigger event like 6N Ireland-England, or high profile soccer qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

juvenal wrote: »
    I like the design of the new stadium. Unlike some people, I'd rather the layout was slightly asymmetric to give the place a bit of character. While it's nice to see an impressive, circular ground like the Stade de France or Emirates, there's something a little sterile and faceless about them.

Looking at the photos of LR, it is not a patch on The Emirates which is a very impressive stadium with excellent facilities.

Re the pitch again speaking for The Emirates its second to none.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Looking at the photos of LR, it is not a patch on The Emirates which is a very impressive stadium with excellent facilities.

Re the pitch again speaking for The Emirates its second to none.

I disagree. i prefer the designs for Lansdowne. Emirates is a nice stadium but not exceptional. the Lansdowne design though has some pretty unique characteristics which i like.

facilities is a different story of course, i'm sure a Premiership team catering for a large corporate following is always going to win this hands down.

and on the smaller stand at the end bit, i think in 10 years time people wont be discussing it. I think it has the potential for more intimacy than anywhere else in the design and i think it may become akin to our own little 'kop' in a few years... just like the Hill is the best place to be in croker ;)

• Advertisement

I disagree. i prefer the designs for Lansdowne. Emirates is a nice stadium but not exceptional. the Lansdowne design though has some pretty unique characteristics which i like.

Just don't think Lansdowne has any wow factor about it, certainly won't win any awards but that is just my opinion.

Another plus for The Emirates are the seats,they have to be the most comfortable I have sat in comapred to the other grounds I have been in the UK and France.

and on the smaller stand at the end bit, i think in 10 years time people wont be discussing it. I think it has the potential for more intimacy than anywhere else in the design and i think it may become akin to our own little 'kop' in a few years... just like the Hill is the best place to be in croker ;)
    For the away fans maybe

I'm not denying the pitch in the Emirates is great, I've heard from one of the lads who regularly travels it's a fantastic development all round. Although, that's a stadium that sees at least twenty-five capacity events a year, so it has the resources to support the financial cost.

On a side note, it takes an attendance of 30,000 for Croke Park to break even on event day. (Operating costs v gate, sponsorship etc. receipts)

I'm not denying the pitch in the Emirates is great, I've heard from one of the lads who regularly travels it's a fantastic development all round. Although, that's a stadium that sees at least twenty-five capacity events a year, so it has the resources to support the financial cost.

True and not to mention the various events that are held on non match days and of course we recently held the summit between Gordon Brown and Sarkozy.

I'm not saying its a bad design,the exterior looks very impressive and if they can get the facilities right it will make for a great match day,the thing that puts me off is the small stand,same with croke park, all that said it is on a completely different level to the old LD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

these are the only real stadiums of the country that will be up to international level, another worth mentioning would be Thomond park, home of the Muster Rubgy team. It's currently being redeveloped to around 26000 capacity.

limerick_thomond1.jpg

There are at least 10 GAA stadiums with higher capacity than Thomond Park (and two of them are in Limerick!)

True and not to mention the various events that are held on non match days and of course we recently held the summit between Gordon Brown and Sarkozy.

Yeah I saw that, quite impressive, and described it very symbolic given Arsenal "as a shining example of Anglo-French co-operation" :D
    I'm not saying its a bad design,the exterior looks very impressive and if they can get the facilities right it will make for a great match day,the thing that puts me off is the small stand,same with croke park, all that said it is on a completely different level to the old LD.

Personally I wouldn't change anything about Hill 16 or Croke Park. Maybe I'm nostalgic (like Fenway Park!), but I would rather have it the way it is that perfectly level all the way around. It will be interesting to see actually how high the smaller stand will be in LR when it's completed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

zAbbo wrote: »
    There are at least 10 GAA stadiums with higher capacity than Thomond Park (and two of them are in Limerick!)

Yeah but most of them are dumps that wouldn't qualify to host a major sporting event by the standards of 50 years ago, let alone by todays.

Yeah, but c'mon, they're not the home of the 'liginds'! ;)

Personally I wouldn't change anything about Hill 16 or Croke Park. Maybe I'm nostalgic (like Fenway Park!), but I would rather have it the way it is that perfectly level all the way around. It will be interesting to see actually how high the smaller stand will be in LR when it's completed.

Good to be nostalgic :) maybe I'm been slightly harsh on the new LR, as you said will be very interesting to see how high the small stand is.

It is really important that they get the facilities right though as it will be a very good money earner, when I go to the Emirates I always go in a couple of hourse before kick off and stay inside after for up to an hour where they have a happy hour :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Croke Park cannot be compared to any Premiership Stadium. Its simply bigger and beter then all despite the hill. What Arsenal or Man U would give for an 85,000 capacity stadium? - which could yet be increased further lets not forget.

I think Lansdowne look good. It looks different. It looks unique which is a good point. The other side make up for the small side which as I mentioned is integrated properly into the stadium.

It is really important that they get the facilities right though as it will be a very good money earner, when I go to the Emirates I always go in a couple of hourse before kick off and stay inside after for up to an hour where they have a happy hour :)

I agree. Concession stands are important, and I feel it's the one area Croke Park has been lazy on. The food is contracted to one caterer, and is generally the same and overpriced. It's probably an issue in stadia around the world, but there's no variety and there's no competition. I get the impression that as long as it's taken care of there's no worry on the part of the organisation, but there's definitely potential there. The bars are fine, not sure how much a pint is, but I know they haven't been open for the soccer matches ;)

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    Croke Park cannot be compared to any Premiership Stadium. Its simply bigger and beter then all despite the hill. What Arsenal or Man U would give for an 85,000 capacity stadium? - which could yet be increased further lets not forget.

Does Croke Park consistently sell out though?

almost all of them are around 50% terraced though, nothing more than a mound of concrete. and very archaic stands for the most. can't really compare. Pearse Stadium down the road from me is bigger but i can't exactly call it up to international standards now can I? Thomond on the other hand, despite it small size looks like it will have pretty good facilities.

God no.

Not at all! Obviously All-Ireland finals, some semis depending on the counties involved. Most Dublin games, through sheer population.

I know all parties involved have made quite a few bob from the rugby and soccer internationals, but bear in mind that anything over 40k is a good gate. Over 30k and it's profit. Last year over 2 million people passed through the turnstiles in Croker, and it had an operating profit over somewhere around €35 million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I reckon UEFA will change their mind about giving Lansdowne the UEFA Cup Final when they see the silly little stand behind the goals.

Pal wrote: »
    I reckon UEFA will change their mind about giving Lansdowne the UEFA Cup Final when they see the silly little stand behind the goals.
    Don't be silly. And besides, somehow I think UEFA might have had a look at the plans first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Don't like it all.

Residents, sunlight, D4, blah blah blah whatever, it still looks shitty with a poxy stand down one end. Same reason why Croker looks crap.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I still can't see this wee stand you're all talking about in the pictures.

I still can't see this wee stand you're all talking about in the pictures.

You have to squint. Its very small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You have to squint. Its very small.

Doing it too much could make you go blind though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Tauren wrote: »
    Doing it too much could make you go blind though.

PMSL :D

Edit: watch out for the hairy palms too

• Advertisement

Hey,shut up all of you and be happy on what you have,comparing to our stadiums and that only good stadium we have is stadium of my club i would be happy to see anything bigger than 15 000 seats and with appropriate look:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Thomond Park will have an opening capacity of 26,000 when work is complete.
    Going up to 29,000 over the next few years, with unoficial plans left to increase the capacity of the North and South stands to bring the stadium up to 32-35,000 if needed.

As was pointed out most Gaelic grounds are terraced, and take lets say the Gaelic Grounds only up the road, while officially a 50,000 capacity staium, only 35,000 are seated.

I think this photo ilustrates the difference in quality of Thomond Park, and Páirc na nGael.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7605&stc=1&d=1213650729

The Gaelic grounds around the country, aren't comparable to Landsdowne, or Thomond really.

What a funny pic,it looks like all the houses around are identical:D

Doesnt that confuses people who lives there?

What a funny pic,it looks like all the houses around are identical:D

Doesnt that confuses people who lives there?

Never live in a housing estate before?!:P

haha i am just saying it looks like all the city is same,so,you enter the house and you realise you are in wrong house:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Jaysus, I never knew Thomand and Gaelic Grounds were tht close. When I was there at the third Tipp-Limerick match(:mad:), I was wondering where in Limerick Thomand was...didnt realise I was that close.

EDIT: With the way the New Stand in Gaelic Grounds is, with some work they could put in seats in the terraces behind the goals, make it all the same. And also do the necessary work in the covered stand and it'd be decent all-seater.

haha i am just saying it looks like all the city is same,so,you enter the house and you realise you are in wrong house:D

That's just one housing estate.
    The rest of the city looks different.
    Most of Ireland was built back in the 60's with the same plan though.
    Just like all the new estates are the same accross the country now.
    No real imagination.
    Mushy wrote: »
    Jaysus, I never knew Thomand and Gaelic Grounds were tht close. When I was there at the third Tipp-Limerick match(:mad:), I was wondering where in Limerick Thomand was...didnt realise I was that close.

EDIT: With the way the New Stand in Gaelic Grounds is, with some work they could put in seats in the terraces behind the goals, make it all the same. And also do the necessary work in the covered stand and it'd be decent all-seater.

True, but it still wouldn't be a very modern stadium.
    Thomond and Landsdowne are being built with proper amenities.
    Most GAA grounds have only got people selling stuff out of the back of a van!:P

That's just one housing estate.
    The rest of the city looks different.
    Most of Ireland was built back in the 60's with the same plan though.
    Just like all the new estates are the same accross the country now.
    No real imagination.

I know mate,just kidding a bit;)
    Hey i dont live in wooden house in african desert dammit:pac:

I know mate,just kidding a bit;)
    Hey i dont live in wooden house in african desert dammit:pac:

That'd be so cool!!!!!

A wooden hut, in an African desert, with a BB connection!:P

• Advertisement

60145.jpg

That'd be so cool!!!!!

A wooden hut, in an African desert, with a BB connection!:P

You forgot to mention tigers and lions running around peacefuly:D

You forgot to mention tigers and lions running around peacefuly:D

Tiger's don't live in the desert! they don't even live in Africa! the Asian jungle's are where they are at.

and the lions don't live in the desert either, they live in the plains just south of it.

:D:p

I didnt mean on desert,nothing lives in desert:D

I meant africa at all

And STFU you professor:D

60145.jpg

And this means what exactly?

No horses in Dublin at all of course!:rolleyes:

oops.
    never noticed the horse.
    I was looking at the stadium.

anyways
    back on topic,
    small stand at Lansdowne.
    where were we ?

• Advertisement

Never noticed the horse? thats first i noticed on this pic,didnt realise stadium is in the background:D

Never noticed the horse? thats first i noticed on this pic,didnt realise stadium is in the background:D

FFS

we're talking about a football stadium.

try and keep up Deija

:D

We are talking about stadium?:eek::eek::eek:

:pac:

FFS

we're talking about a football stadium.

try and keep up Deija

:D

I thought we were talking about a giant potty!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Residents, sunlight, D4, blah blah blah whatever, it still looks shitty with a poxy stand down one end. Same reason why Croker looks crap.
    The area behind the small stand certainly doesn't fall under the D4 steriotype. :) It's just like most other estates in Dublin. Anyway, don't mind me. I just can't stand the D4 steriotype having spent so many nights in the crazy pubs of Ringsend and Bathavenue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement