Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query the IE registry with *keyword*

Options
  • 22-07-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Is there a facility that would allow me to query the IE registry for a specific *keyword* and see all currently registered domains containing that keyword? The same for domains that have expired.

Apologies if asked already but search turned up nothing.

(I have a feeling our resident IE guru JMCC might be quick to answer this one! :))

Thanks.

Philbert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Unfortunately you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Thanks Michele,

So the IDER only release the number of domains registered but dont actually provide a download of the registry? And the only way to query the registry is by using the single domain name lookup in the IEDR website (or host etc)?

I realise its pretty much the same question as my opening post but I just want to sure!

Actually, dont even answer that :rolleyes:

If there was any way to do it Im sure you would have told me.

Thanks,

It's not just the IEDR who restrict access to their zone files. Most of the ccTLDs won't release them

If you wanted access to a gTLD you could request it.

It's also part of the reason you can do cool things with gTLD data that you simply can only dream about doing with ccTLDs eg. http://www.domainsbot.com/ which relies on sending thousands of queries per second in order to generate its results (I've spoken to the guys behind it about doing something similar with other forms of access to the data and it simply won't work :( )

Philbert wrote: »
    So the IDER only release the number of domains registered but dont actually provide a download of the registry? And the only way to query the registry is by using the single domain name lookup in the IEDR website (or host etc)?

Not only do they only release bare stats they won't even tell you which resellers are doing the registering (you can more or less work it out via their inane reseller A, B, C thing in the newsletters)

Compare that to the level of info you can get freely for a gtld:
    http://www.icann.org/tlds/monthly-reports/

Not only do they happily release all the bare stats but they also tell you exactly who is doing what

And if you want to query the IEDR's whois be careful, as they rate limit each IP.

Other registries, such as Nominet, offer other methods of sending bulk queries against the registry. IEDR don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Michele has explained the situation well. The IEDR does provide an expired domain list on its website which might help.

http://www.iedr.ie/DeletedDomainsList.php

Registering keyword domains in .ie ccTLD is not the same as registering keyword domains in the gTLDs. The .ie traffic would be a fraction of the gTLD traffic. The cybersquatting operation Eubrowser.com aka Firstpage concentrated on registering keywords in the .ie ccTLD along with cybersquatting major trademarks. Most of its revenue would have been from TM/brand .ie domains and when a few of these were removed, its traffic fell by 66%. Over the past six months or so that venture has imploded and it is no longer based in the Digital Hub.

Regards...jmcc

• Subscribers Posts: 78 ✭✭minttea

I'm very surprised that no one here is aware of the IEDR keyword search, I use it all the time..

http://www.iedr.ie/dns-search.php

Just make sure that you check "Match text within a domain"

There is some interesting stuff in there, have fun....

BTW It only works on active domains

Thanks minttea! Exactly what i need.

I am as surprised as you :confused:

Maybe its a new(ish) service the IEDR provide?

I'd never seen that "service" before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

minttea wrote: »
    I'm very surprised that no one here is aware of the IEDR keyword search, I use it all the time..

http://www.iedr.ie/dns-search.php

Just make sure that you check "Match text within a domain"

There is some interesting stuff in there, have fun....

BTW It only works on active domains

Good find. Anyone else having issues viewing the list of results? They seem to run past the visible area of the div for me :o

• Advertisement

Good find. Anyone else having issues viewing the list of results? They seem to run past the visible area of the div for me :o
    I can't see them either - only get about 10 or so before they get lost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

blacknight wrote: »
    I can't see them either - only get about 10 or so before they get lost

Damn thats annoying :D

view source ... copy paste the big table :D

Edit: Disable CSS for that site :)

Ye I noticed that all right, you have to use IE in order to see the full list...

Looks like the IEDR have disabled this service... pity!

Advertisement