Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Child-lock - advice needed !

Options
  • 22-07-2008 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice concerning child locks.

My sister has a Ford Fiesta that has a damaged handle on one of the rear doors.

While she was looking after my daughter the other day, my daughter managed to activate the child lock on this door.

So now, the door cannot be opened from either side and I must repair the damage.

Please tell me that there is some way that this can be easily fixed, without having to get all the locks replaced?

PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You'll need to get the door open first. A door card off job. After that just replace the broken handle.

Simple enough job. Shouldn't be too expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

the child lock is activated by a little switch on the width of the back door that isn't accessible unless the door is open. ýou've a smart kid if she managed to turn it on. Dont know what u can do sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

would opening the window and poking around at the internal levers connected to the exterior handle work? or is there some way to open the door through the hole left by the handle?

if none of these options work, getting the door card off without opening the door is the problem. you'll most likely need to replace the door card, as the only way I can think of removing it with the door closed involves brute force and cutting the door card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 snaffles

ýou've a smart kid if she managed to turn it on.

She opened it using the inside handle, then flicked the switch on the edge of the door. However, with the outside handle damaged - it's just not opening at all now. :eek:

I'm not sure how smart she is yet - perhaps it's just stage one in her plan for total world domination :rolleyes:

Also, some people here have referred to "A door card off job"... what is that ?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

i'm not sure myself but you could try the old hanger down the window trick, what is the make and year of the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the door card is the interior trim on the door, you remove it so the door looks like this:
    dpdsta26a.jpg

you can then get at the child lock mechanism or the mechanism for the exterior door handle.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the door card is the interior trim on the door, you remove it so the door looks like this:
    dpdsta26a.jpg

you can then get at the child lock mechanism or the mechanism for the exterior door handle.

Thanks very much for this info ... this looks like the best course of action.

Is this something that could be done by my good self, by any chance?

Where would I begin - is it just a case of unscrewing some screws and removing the card?

as for the model - all I know is that it's a 98 fiesta.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

snaffles wrote: »
    Is this something that could be done by my good self, by any chance?

Where would I begin - is it just a case of unscrewing some screws and removing the card?

It's easy to do with the door open - not so easy with the door closed.

A mechanic who knows what's in there might be able to do it - may involve breaking the door trim though.

I know it's a bit late but having the outside handle broken is very dangerous. In the event of an accident, it could potentially delay access by the rescuers.

Thanks very much for the advice.

I now have a better idea of how to go about solving the problem.

I'll have a look at the door next time I'm at my sister's, and attempt to carefully remove the door card.

If I can't manage this without causing damage, I'll book it into a garage.

Thanks again guys.

You've all been very helpful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You could take the door card off the opposite door, inspect the mechanism to see if you can see how it could be opened with a coat hanger or a slim jim from the outside, and then try to open the locked door in this manner.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Depending on the location of the latch (compare it to the other side)

Try and jimmy it with a bit of plastic ( credit card trick) with a piece of a 7UP bottle or similat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You should be able to see what the external handle actuates, then actuate it yourself....

Typically there isn't a major amount of protection around the handle, as when the door is locked (button down) anything you do with the handle it will not open it.

Of course once you get the door open you could look at removing the door card and replacing the handle, the new part should be fairly cheap....

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

How damaged is the external handle? Would you be able to wedge something in to prise it up - thus opening the door?

If I were you I'd simply open the door, undo the child lock and leave it be. It's hardly your daughters fault she engaged the child locks - your sister should have been watching her!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

macroman wrote: »
    If I were you I'd simply open the door, undo the child lock and leave it be. It's hardly your daughters fault she engaged the child locks - your sister should have been watching her!
    I think you may be missing the point here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You may be able to flick the child lock switch by using a fairly stiff piece of plastic, say a largish nylon cable tie, and sliding it through the gap in the door. Have a look at the other door and see if it should be flicked up or down and enter above or below as needed.

Advertisement