Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Attempted Theft?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 9:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Our neighbours informed us that someone tried to break into/was messing around with my sister's car at 5am this morning. Last night it was parked a bit down from our house so we didn't hear anything ourselves. My sister has a tendency to leave her car keys on the kitchen table which I'm not a fan of but maybe it's the best option...They didn't come near the house. It's only a Micra, nothing flash. Are Micras quite vulnerable?

It's a 05 model.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

does she have SAT-Nav on the dash

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Agreed - it may have been for the contents rather than the car itself but you never know.
    As for the keys - better to have someone break in, take the keys and go than for someone to break in, beat the crap out of you, rape your sister and then take the keys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

steel is worth so much at the moment, older less obvious cars are being stolen for their steel and crushed. I read in the paper the theft of 90's cars like old Starlets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

does she have SAT-Nav on the dash

LOl!

But to OP anything is vunerable to thugs that have nothing to do and see something shiny. Just don't leave anything worth money visable inside it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks. Seemingly the only thing of value in it was a pair of sunglasses which I don't think are worth much anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

stratos wrote: »
    steel is worth so much at the moment, older less obvious cars are being stolen for their steel and crushed. I read in the paper the theft of 90's cars like old Starlets etc.

This is also more down to the fact its extremely difficult if not impossible to steal modern cars without the keys but comparatively stupidly easy to steal a very old car. If you're stealing a car to use as transport for whatever, you go for something ancient. If you're stealing to order, you get the keys out of the owners house...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Possibly some ****** looking for a ride home or to next fix.
    Small older low security cars are probably easier for that.
    A neighbour of mine even had the battery taken from her ancient banged up Tayto.
    I've seen a few Micras with bent doors where they bend the top of the door out in order to gain entry. Obviously not built for strength.

Of course the sunglasses could have been the target (cool thief), a friend even had a car broken in to and only cuddly toys taken. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

MYOB wrote: »
    This is also more down to the fact its extremely difficult if not impossible to steal modern cars without the keys but comparatively stupidly easy to steal a very old car. If you're stealing a car to use as transport for whatever, you go for something ancient. If you're stealing to order, you get the keys out of the owners house...

Yes and a modern micra is not an easy car to steal. Kids target older cars with no emobalisers. Like 92 starlets are a favourite along with old fiestas. I saw an old mazda 323 once.

Modern cars with chips on the keys are too difficult to steal without the keys.

Advertisement