Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a job in Sydney?

• 22-07-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Im thinking about getting a visa to work in Sydney next year.
    I would like to work in the area im currently working in. I have all the qualifications I should need.
    What I was wondering is whether anyone has experience of trying to get a half decent job over there, do they tend to employ their own rather than people coming over?
    Would I be looking at carrying blocks/picking fruit for nothing while im over there or should I find a job easily?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭niborm

colly10 wrote: »
    I would like to work in the area im currently working in. I have all the qualifications I should need.
    What I was wondering is whether anyone has experience of trying to get a half decent job over there, do they tend to employ their own rather than people coming over?
    Would I be looking at carrying blocks/picking fruit for nothing while im over there or should I find a job easily?
    Thanks.

Provided you have the experience, it shouldn't be a problem...they won't want to know about qualifications if you have not got enough experience. If your work type is the kind of work that has a lot of contracts available, you'll be on easy street.

In certain areas of employment, they are more reluctant to hire people who are very likely to move on in a few months. You can't blame them - recruitment is an expensive business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Id advise you to go onto a forum called British Expats (do a google). Its brilliant for finding all sorts of information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

colly10 wrote: »
    Thanks.

No they don't tend to employ their own, once you come to sydney you'll soon see everyone is from (or has heritage) from elsewhere.

It is not where you come from, but what you know based on my experience here. You should find a job easily enough. But it will depend on how picky you are :)

Oh and +1 for expats, decent website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Getting a job in Sydney isnt too much of a hassle at all as long as your CV is decent in what you do, make sure to decide what kind of work your after before you arrive e.g contract or permanent as its the first thing they ask followed by the status of your Visa,in my own experience it works best to say that you are here on a working holiday visa but would be open to a long term option,in other words your commited to working and not just going on the piss everynight,good luck i arrived 2 weeks ago and its a great city!

Advertisement