Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things YOU love and hate about Dublin

Options
  • 22-07-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Everybody has their opinions about Dublin so whats yours?

Love- Nightlife,Multiculture and Job opportunities

Hate- Dublin women(seriously get over yourselves), Dublin bus and the taxi service.

Peace!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ste10 wrote: »
    Everybody has their opinions about Dublin so whats yours?

Love- Nightlife,Multiculture and Job opportunities

Hate- Dublin women(seriously get over yourselves), Dublin bus and the taxi service.

Peace!

Hate's first ... Trying to get good service in shops, cafe's, bar's etc from people with (at best) pidgeon english. I very it infuriating. Went shopping in town the other day and felt like a minority.

I hate the Spire - pointless (no pun intended).

I hate, absolutely detest the amount of junkie scumbags allowed to pollute our streets.

I hate that new building on Dame St. the glass and concret one beside the city hall.

(I'll add more to this list later I'm sure).

The things I love about Dublin are disappearing too quickly. I love being a Dub, I love being Irish and I to see how both are being diluted with all this 'multi-cultural' rubbish, and I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mairt wrote: »
    Hate's first ... Trying to get good service in shops, cafe's, bar's etc from people with (at best) pidgeon english. I very it infuriating. Went shopping in town the other day and felt like a minority
    People in glasshouses........................:D

People in glasshouses........................:D

This THIS THREAD - POST 57.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I love Dublin cause it's home and I'm generally proud of the place. I love when people ask me where I'm from and I say Dublin. I'm not ashamed in the slightest.

I love the amount of green areas we have. Nice big open spaces to go kick ball in.

And I absolutely love Dublin humour. Funniest feckers going!

However,

I also hate the spire and junkies.

I hate the cost of living and the price of a pint. Scandalous.

I hate D4 types with their orange faces, ugg boots and superiority complexes.

I hate the amount of time it takes to get into town on the bus in the morning.

I hate the weather and how dirty the city is in comparison to others.

Generally though it's a pretty good city to be from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I love the atmosphere about the place and the friendliness.

I hate the aggresive scumbags/junkies/beggers who have a massive chip on their shoulder.

I love the way the city is kept clean, especially the parks.

I hate the way the city is being raped by property developers who appear to have a complete free reign over planning issues. I also hate the way that money has become king.

I love living by the sea and close to the country, but 20 minutes away from the centre of a cosmopolitan city.

D4 heads annoy me, but not as much as non D4 heads who go out of their way to pretend to be D4 heads, these are the pricks that do actually say "Roish"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I hate most of the teenagers. Remove them and it would be a nice place to live. Scum rule our streets.

I like, eh, erm.....I'll get back to you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Hate:

Dublin door policies, a dumb monkey you cannot reason with if with more than 3 male friends.
    Bus driver attitudes of not waiting (most of them by far when someone is trying to catch it.
    Rip off, this is everything isn't it? Is anything in Dublin not a rip off, setting aside designer stuff, everything from a McDonalds to a pint.
    Crappy opening hours, I know it's a national thing, but still I absolutely hate this early closing time for clubs etc.
    Class divide, people thinking they are something special due to their job, location etc etc, get over your-poncy-selves

Love:

My family, friends and other associated affiliates :)
    My House
    the food here
    and general things I grew up liking here
    The fact that there's transport at any time of the day or night

I would not spend the rest of my life in this kip though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Love:
    I love that there are always gigs on
    I love that there's new PROPER dance studios built
    I love that there are so many parks
    I love that I'm never bored at weekends
    I love that there's more of a selection to do things day or night compared to what I'm used to

Hates
    It's expensive - I paid €5.20 for a red bull the other night, the same as a pint of bulmers?!?!
    Traffic :mad:
    Red Cow Roundabout
    The heat on the DART

I love Dub - I'll never move back to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Buzz - There's always stuff happening in Dublin. Appreciate this after living in places which felt like ghost towns. Just feels full of life.

People - I like the multi-cultural aspects - I think it can only be a good thing.

Dislikes:

Threatening beggars especially at Luas stops/ATMs -wish they made begging illegal again. I wish people wouldn't give change to beggars - that's the only way to stop it imo - instead give money direct to charities like Focus. I'm a big guy and not exactly easily intimidated but I wish something was done to deal with this.

Cyclists in Dublin - vast majority seem to think the laws don't apply to them - cycling on pavement, down wrong way streets. Also the fact that the Guards never seem to stop them. In 8 years in the city cant every remember seeing a Guard talking to a cyclist but have literally seen hundreds of cyclists breaking the laws.

The filth and dirt - the amount of people who just dump rubbish is appaling - one of the worst Irish characteristics imo. Dublin is such a dirty filthy city. The council try to do a job but the scummy people who just drop rubbish is appalling. Wish the Guards would arrest people who litter.

CCTVs - I live in the city centre and it seems like in the last few years they are everywhere. The amount of new ones in my own area has just grown enormously. Just seems wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I love the Dubs sense of humour, no matter how bad things can get, they’ll always find a way to laugh at it.

I love the Spire.

I Love The Georgian houses in the city centre as they’re a sight for sore eyes.

I love my family been so close to visit; as Dublin is not a large city.

I love my local pub as whenever I go in, there’s always a friendly welcome and no shortage of chat.

I love living so close to the sea and that at anytime I can walk along clean beaches and breathe in fresh air.

I hate people who can’t find anything to love about Dublin.

I hate bigots from Dublin.

I hate how expensive Dublin has become.

I hate the huge social divide between the rich and the poor in Dublin.

I hate the lack of a real public transport system in the outskirts of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

DubArk wrote: »
    I love the Spire.

:eek:

Can I ask what you love about the Spire?

The filth and dirt - the amount of people who just dump rubbish is appaling - one of the worst Irish characteristics imo. Dublin is such a dirty filthy city. The council try to do a job but the scummy people who just drop rubbish is appalling. Wish the Guards would arrest people who litter.

I take it you haven't done a lot of travelling?.

Dublin IMO compares very well with similar cities of its size, and better than most.

But apart from that a common theme (is that how I spell it Wishbone?) running through this thread is the amount of junkie scumbags allowed to roam (Wishbone?) freely on our streets.

The Liffey boardwalk, should be a great amenity - spoilt rotten by scumbags hanging around. Custom house quay being the same, I almost welcome the Roma beggars for their distraction when I'm stuck in traffic there.

The Merchant Quay Project and the open drug dealing with goes on around it. Totally ignored by the police, if it was a pub with similar anti-social problems attributable it would have been closed down year's ago.

Someone mentioned developers, yes I agree, they've brought a lot of ugliness to parts of our city.

A positive theme running through the thread is gigs and nightlife - but at a cost. However if you can afford it we've a great social scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Neesa wrote: »

Can I ask what you love about the Spire?

To me it represents the fact we as Dubliners are reaching upwards.

It’s a focal point from anywhere in the city as most of the buildings are at eye level. I see it as our Eiffel Tower in Dublin.

It’s modern and most cities have something that represents them as with London Big Ben, New York the Empire State Building etc.
    Its part of the sky line and yet not too intrusive.

Thank you for asking. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Cool, I just wanted to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

As I haven't really lived extensively in any other cities it's very difficult for me to distinguish the things I like/dislike about dublin compared to similar city on the contintent or in america. But what comes to mind first about Dublin ****y is:

Junkies on every street corner or so it seems. In fairness my bus and usual travel routes take me through marlborough street beside the board walk and across the bridge which for some reason seems to be junkie ville. In fairness, I've never really been bother by them but they really annoy me.

I also hate those couple of chancers that go around skabbing money at the luas stops and along o'connell street. especially that eastern european sounding chancer.

I also hate those little gurriers that seem to swarm about like they own the place (i know it's probably their street corner but the little bolloxes need manners).

TBH I also hate those fair weather/johnny come-lately/once in a blue moon dublin pub goes and drinkers. I just find those ***** annoying. Turning up once a year in the big smoke and lacking all the subtle etiquette proper dublin drinkers have. Just in your way and messy and noisy and annoying. **** off back to the suburbs or where ever you came from.

I also have to admit I have a love hate relationship with the pubs and clubs. Dodgy service, rude bouncers bar staff. Incompetent bar staff. Rip off prices. Empty half the time.

I ****ing hate dublin bus too. Everyone associated with the company (bar a few) seem like thick, stupid, shoulder chipped **** who hate their job and do their best to spread the hate and resentment amongst their customers. Badly run and thought our service.

So what do I like? Usually not a bad place for a pint and the odd gig. You just have to try and ignore the small annoying things that seem to threaten your enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Hate:
    So many beggars(especially of the annoying type who go "sorry to bother you mate, can I have a minute of your time? blah blah blah" and talk for 5mins before asking for change).
    Dirt, irish people are dirty ****s.
    Multiculturalism
    Traffic(I dont drive, but the fumes+noise get to me)
    Lack of history/grandeur compared to other european cities.
    Nightlife(that's more a cultural irish thing though)
    The Spire(A symbol for money over taste, oh how apt it is).

Love:
    Variety.
    How sprawled it is.
    Exploring all the little parks and nooks and crannys of dublin.
    Dublin Bus(Yes, I really do like it)
    The view(minus dundrum, sandyford and the new docklands)
    The fact that it feels like home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Dublin IMO compares very well with similar cities of its size, and better than most.

No - not much apart from living in the United States and on the Continent (over a year in both cases). Time for a sarcastic :rolleyes:

Been to pretty much every major country in Europe and travelled a lot in the US too. Havent seen any of South America and only very little of Asia. Very little of Africa too.

As to travelling in Ireland pretty much been in every county in Ireland bar one or two. So as to your statement that I haven't done much travelling - I'm afraid that falls into the epic fail category.

I totally diagree with your statement that Dublin compares very well in terms of the amount of rubbish. Just the amount of the rubbish in the Liffey down by Heuston is an embarrasment.

In comparison with other first-world cities that I've been to Dublin would have to come bottom in terms of the amount of rubbish. We might come out about equal when compared to third-world countries but I don't think that is a valid comparison. I noticed it especially when I came back from the Continent - I was just struck by the amount of unsightly ugly rubbish about the place.

Off the top of my head some cities that I've been to and would rate as cleaner than Dublin - Paris, Zurich, Boston, Luxembourg, Munich, Stockholm, Edinburgh, Riga, Tokyo, Wellington. Can you name some of dirtier cities than Dublin?

Also have a look at any report about tourism and Dublin and there always seems to be as issue about rubbish. Perhaps it has got slightly better i.e the improvements in O'Connell Street but there is still too much ugly rubbish around compared to other cities.

Only ten cities tested in the story below but Dublin came out worst of all ten.
    Dublin tops dirty city survey

Monday, 22 October 2007
    Dublin remains one of Europe's dirtiest cities, according to the results of survey published today.

Irish Business Against Litter has called on the government to get tough enforcing the laws on litter, to finally allow Dublin shake off the tag of dirty old town.

According to the survey, the city is getting cleaner, but it remains the dirtiest of the ten cities tested, with Riga in Latvia the cleanest.

Nassau Street has some of Dublin's high-end tourist shops, but the study says it has a serious litter problem.

The judges from An Taisce visited the area around Croke Park, on a non-match day - they said it was the only litter blackspot in all of the cities they examined.

Irish Business Against Litter says that some progress has been made clearing up the city's tourist sites.

But they say less attention has been paid to the adjoining areas and that is now where the problem lies.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1022/dublin.html?rss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

But apart from that a common theme (is that how I spell it Wishbone?) running through this thread is the amount of junkie scumbags allowed to roam (Wishbone?) freely on our streets.

The Liffey boardwalk, should be a great amenity - spoilt rotten by scumbags hanging around. Custom house quay being the same, I almost welcome the Roma beggars for their distraction when I'm stuck in traffic there.

The Merchant Quay Project and the open drug dealing with goes on around it. Totally ignored by the police, if it was a pub with similar anti-social problems attributable it would have been closed down year's ago.

Someone mentioned developers, yes I agree, they've brought a lot of ugliness to parts of our city.

A positive theme running through the thread is gigs and nightlife - but at a cost. However if you can afford it we've a great social scene.

While I agree completely about the amount of junkie scum, I can't agree that it's ignored by the Gardai.

You mention seeing it while stuck in traffic. I actually walk everywhere in the city. I walk along the Eden Quay boardwalk every day and along Custom House quay. I often get the bus from Essex Quay (not a nice place I agree). However I often see Gardai, uniformed and plainclothes, catch & arrest junkie dealers. The boardwalk is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

The Gardai are overwhelmed by the problem but in fairness to them they keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Love
    The generally friendly atmosphere in Dublin and how people are generally very helpful
    Temple Bar during the day
    The Phoenix Park
    Herbert Park
    The canal
    St. Stephens Green
    The Iveagh Gardens
    Stoneybatter/Smithfield
    The Coombe
    Ranelagh
    Town on a sunny day at all times of the year
    Hogans (when it's not packed)
    Yamamouri
    New China Town area on Parnell St
    The port tunnel - how did I get to Santry so quickly!
    Our new racial mix/cultural diversity
    The world cultures festival
    Sandycove & the forty foot

Hate
    Scumbags hanging around and intimidating people
    Scumbags vandalising everything
    Terrible coffee at rip off prices
    Terrible food with terrible service at rip off prices
    Awful planning laws that have blighted our city with sub standard ugly apartment blocks
    Temple Bar at night
    Dublin Bus drivers who can't be arsed to turn up to work so buses don't run
    Taxi drivers who insist on sharing their racist, right wing political views
    Prices of taxis
    Property Prices
    D4 heads and wannabee D4 types
    Faux american accent that is sweeping our city

The canal
    We have two of them! ;)
    Prices of taxis
    Hardly a Dublin issue - prices are national!
    Faux american accent that is sweeping our city
    It makes me want to scream!! :(

• Advertisement

American accent?

are we talking the little skanks wearing their big hip hop crap and all into rap or what? (and by rap I mean pop, the commercial crap)

Jay D wrote: »
    American accent?

are we talking the little skanks wearing their big hip hop crap and all into rap or what? (and by rap I mean pop, the commercial crap)
    No, we're talking about apparently 'normal' people (usually female teenagers) who have developed a nauseating accent in the past few years.

I was at a trade union conference a few weeks ago in Dublin 4. I went out with a colleague to find a newsagents. Not being familiar with the area, my colleague asked a group of girls in school uniform, where the nearest LOTTO agent would be. After getting the directions he turned to me an said "they must be with the American College" and he wasn't joking (being from kilkenny)!

No, we're talking about apparently 'normal' people (usually female teenagers) who have developed a nauseating accent in the past few years.

I was at a trade union conference a few weeks ago in Dublin 4. I went out with a colleague to find a newsagents. Not being familiar with the area, my colleague asked a group of girls in school uniform, where the nearest LOTTO agent would be. After getting the directions he turned to me an said "they must be with the American College" and he wasn't joking (being from kilkenny)!

Hmmm can't say I've noticed although I never listen to anyone due to drowning out those so fond of their own voice on the train etc. God bless mp3s :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Tragedy wrote: »
    Hate:
    Multiculturalism

Love:
    Variety.

Love:
    The humour and wit of the people.
    The pubs.
    History.
    Chippers.
    Culture.
    Grafton Street at Christmas.

Hate:
    Rain.
    5Euro a pint.
    Actually paying 5euro for a pint.
    Skangers who just don't respect anything.
    Fights in city outside fast food joints.
    Queuing for a Taxi.
    The price of eating out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Hate:
    So many beggars(especially of the annoying type who go "sorry to bother you mate, can I have a minute of your time? blah blah blah" and talk for 5mins before asking for change).
    Dirt, irish people are dirty ****s.
    Multiculturalism
    Traffic(I dont drive, but the fumes+noise get to me)
    Lack of history/grandeur compared to other european cities.Nightlife(that's more a cultural irish thing though)
    The Spire(A symbol for money over taste, oh how apt it is).

Love:
    Variety.
    How sprawled it is.
    Exploring all the little parks and nooks and crannys of dublin.
    Dublin Bus(Yes, I really do like it)
    The view(minus dundrum, sandyford and the new docklands)
    The fact that it feels like home.

What the **** do you mean by a lack of history? Dublin is ****ing 2000 years old and is very rich in history. Maby not the sort of history that interests you but there is history. Compared to lets say Roma yeah we're lagging, but rome is a pretty big yardstick.

Now likes:
    Weather-not too cold....and not too hot.. I would hate like 35 degrees every day during summer. this allows for a lot of activity like football matches to occur in my estate.

diversity-my only problem is that much of the diversity is first generation(i have third generation russian connections the problem with this is I notice many immigrants keep to themselves...i don't mean intentionally and many of these people are economic migrants so its hard to settle knowing that you'll leave soon enough. my best mate is libyan.

as trajedy said the fact that it just feels like home..plus my family is here, and friends.

Enniskerry

ireland play in the city

A lot more really

Now negative:
    A poster called Ikky Poo whose attitude i despise is right on one thing...ireland(dublin) can be quite limiting, if you let it be, and if your an artsy(other than music) type.

What the **** do you mean by a lack of history? Dublin is ****ing 2000 years old .

Just before our resident nit-picker jumps in, we're 1000 year's old. We celebrated the millenium in 1988.

I was lying in bed this morning, thinking of my cycle route this morning (training not commuting). The thought came to me, we're spoilt by scenary.

This mornings route will take me up the Malahide Rd into Malahide village to Portmarnock, down the coast road to Howth (up and over) back onto the coast road and Dollymount, on up the Phoenix Park via Chapelizod.

Then back onto the NCR and homewards bound.

"Deadly" scenary and thats just the Northside too :D

I also love the older, working class generation of 'Dub. A more genuine type of person you won't meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Off the top of my head some cities that I've been to and would rate as cleaner than Dublin - Paris

Get off the tourist trail. Believe me, Paris is rank compared to Dublin, I mean syringes, dogs eating human faeces.... Much worse.

Hate:Lack of history/grandeur compared to other european cities.

?????? Its a medieval city. We had viking raids, a civil war, occupation, amazing architecture. Have you done any of the historical tours in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We have two of them! ;)
    I mean the Grand canal from Crumlin down to the basin. From Crumlin up through Cherry Orchard and Clondalkin is a sh1thole. Broken glass everywhere, skanger teenagers drinking cans in the afternoon and shouting abuse at you as you go past. It's a shame because it could be a lovely cycle up to Hazelhatch.

So I suppose I could say
    Love
    The Grand Canal from Crumlin to the basin

Hate
    The Grand Canal from Crumlin up past Clondalkin
    lightening Quote:Get off the tourist trail. Believe me, Paris is rank compared to Dublin, I mean syringes, dogs eating human faeces.... Much worse.
    Have to agree. I was in Madrid a few years ago and I was appalled at the dity and sh1t everywhere. There were junkies hanging around the playgrounds and squares. In comparison to Dublin where I've lived for 16 years, there was a distinctly menacing atmosphere where you felt you'd be mugged if you weren't on your guard constantly. I don't think Dublin is near as bad as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

From the outsider point of view:

Love:
    Dubliners
    Lack of high buildings, just love the low-rise style
    Closeness to the sea
    The Spire - yes I do like it.
    Dart - the views especially. Between Dalkey and Killiney, when the open sea appears all of a sudden.
    Phoenix Park
    The History
    Feeling of safety - don't believe the tabloid hype, Dublin is safe compared to other places

Hate:
    Dublin ZOO - it could be so much better
    Amount of Take Aways
    Boardwalks on Liffey being taken over by junkies
    Dublin Bus
    Rip-off culture, i know that we earn more here and all, but lately it's getting a bit much.
    Ugly ass apartments being squezzed everywhere in the last couple of years - thankfully it looks like this has stopped.
    Burned out cars - I've never seen a burned car before I came here. Staying often in Ballybrack, and working in Tallaght I see one every week now. WTF is the story with that?
    Dublin Airport - what a mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

So I suppose I could say
    Love
    The Grand Canal from Crumlin to the basin

Hate
    The Grand Canal from Crumlin up past Clondalkin

I canoed from Dollymount, across the bay, up the Liffey, in to the Grand Canal Dock and up the Grand Canal to Bagenalstown where we dropped in to the Barrow and went to Waterford. The locals along the canal were really impressed, they were all swimming in the canal. The weather was good, I think that puts everyone in a good mood.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement