Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things YOU love and hate about Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

When I say lack of history, I mean physical history. Compared to the english heritage protection, it's laughable over here. Money always comes over preserving history.

Rome, Paris, London, Berlin are all amazing in that respect, I'll get back to you about Edinburgh in a month :p

Multiculturalism is in my mind, crap. It's an excuse for letting people not have to learn the culture of their new country and instead set up their own little microcosm of culture. New people should bring a little added flavour to our culture, not ignore it and continue living their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

lightening wrote: »
    I canoed from Dollymount, across the bay, up the Liffey, in to the Grand Canal Dock and up the Grand Canal to Bagenalstown where we dropped in to the Barrow and went to Waterford. The locals along the canal were really impressed, they were all swimming in the canal. The weather was good, I think that puts everyone in a good mood.
    You were lucky. If it had been cloudy and they were therefore grumpy/sullen they would've probably fired empty cans at you.

I cycled to Hazelhatch one day, a leisurely cycle, and got so much abuse from skangers at Clondalkin that I came back through Lucan. They were drinking at that stage so I reckoned they's be twice as leery on the way back. I just don't understand why they HAVE to say something when you go past them and because they're in a crowd they're so brave. Get them on their own and they wouldn't open their mouths.

Tragedy wrote: »
    Multiculturalism is in my mind, crap. It's an excuse for letting people not have to learn the culture of their new country and instead set up their own little microcosm of culture. New people should bring a little added flavour to our culture, not ignore it and continue living their own.
    Yeh, like the emigrated Irish in US, UK and just about any other country they emigrated to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

When I say lack of history, I mean physical history. Compared to the english heritage protection, it's laughable over here. Money always comes over preserving history.

Have you done the Kilaminham Gaol tour?
    Multiculturalism is in my mind, crap.

Well, its hear, you might as well embrace all the "foreign" food, music, craft, art, style... etc.
    You were lucky.

The weather puts everyone in a good mood!

Have you done the Kilaminham Gaol tour?
    Yup, quite excellent it is too.

Well, its hear, you might as well embrace all the "foreign" food, music, craft, art, style... etc.
    Way to miss the whole point.
    People coming here to live and having as little interaction outside their own little cultural society in Dublin = brings absolutely nothing to our culture.
    Experiencing different cultures is great, it rarely happens with multiculturalism in the form it's in over here.

Where's all the polish music, art, craft, style, food?(Apparently they do lovely raw sausage dishes odd as that sounds)
    Or whatever other significant ethnic minorities in Dublin at the mo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Where's all the polish music, art, craft, style, food?(Apparently they do lovely raw sausage dishes odd as that sounds)
    Or whatever other significant ethnic minorities in Dublin at the mo.

As much as I agree that multiculturalism doesn't work, and the Integration is the way to go, I disagree with you on this point.

There is plenty of polish food around - I pass 7 polish/ee shops on my way to work, you can also buy polish food (including raw sausages) in most Centras and Tescos. There are also polish restaurants around.

As for art - polish films are often shown in IFSC, there was few polish film festivals, polish painters exhibition in the National Gallery, and quite a lot of photography expositions in different galleries.

Polish bands play gigs in Dublin on regular basis. I go to them sometimes, and you do see irish people there, looking for something new.

So what I'm saying is, if you are really interested, you will find it easily.

ojewriej wrote: »
    As much as I agree that multiculturalism doesn't work, and the Integration is the way to go, I disagree with you on this point.

There is plenty of polish food around - I pass 7 polish/ee shops on my way to work, you can also buy polish food (including raw sausages) in most Centras and Tescos. There are also polish restaurants around.

As for art - polish films are often shown in IFSC, there was few polish film festivals, polish painters exhibition in the National Gallery, and quite a lot of photography expositions in different galleries.

Polish bands play gigs in Dublin on regular basis. I go to them sometimes, and you do see irish people there, looking for something new.

So what I'm saying is, if you are really interested, you will find it easily.
    Immigration is still relatively new to Ireland but the integration will happen over time as these people begin to work with Irish people and make friends through work etc. I think it's inevitable when people move to a new country that they stick together initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yeh, like the emigrated Irish in US, UK and just about any other country they emigrated to.

Oh that ol' chestnut again.

:rolleyes:

Loves - the amount of Chinese and Indian take aways in my neighbourhood, and drinking foreign beers in The Porter House.

:D

Loved my cycle along the coast road (Malahide and Portmarnock) this morning, the tide was out so and a gentle fog was drifting in. Because of the fog I didn't risk going up Howth head and getting a chill.

The Spire, its beginning to grow on me. I still think its pointless however and was (and continues to be) a big waste of money.

I also HATE this building..

attachment.php?attachmentid=60100&stc=1&d=1216906616

And LOVE its neighbour..

attachment.php?attachmentid=60101&stc=1&d=1216906694

Immigration is still relatively new to Ireland but the integration will happen over time as these people begin to work with Irish people and make friends through work etc. I think it's inevitable when people move to a new country that they stick together initially.
    Looking at England, I disagree.

@ojewriej: When something like 10% of our population is polish, should I really have to hunt down their culture to experience a little? I could as well go to Poland. I'll experience for more french art/culture/cuisine than Polish in Dublin.

It should be a natural organic process of integration, it isnt and it wont be with the multiculturalism PC brigade saying its perfectly fine not to bother.

Way to miss the whole point.

I think you are missing the point. I don't think you know your city.
    Where's all the polish music, art, craft, style, food?

Plenty of Eastern European art in the galleries last time I checked, namely Katarzyna Gajewska.

The well advertised Polish art exhibition was excellent in the National Art Gallery

My local spar sells polish food, I pass by lots of Polish shops in town.

Gospoda Polska is an excellent Polish restaurant on Capel st.

Plenty of Polish music in the Temple Bar Music Centre.

This is just one country you picked out. There are hundreds of other influences in the city, I sampled Korean, authentic Chinese, Polish, Czech and lots and lots of other food and cultures lately. I suggest you get out there and try them!

• Advertisement

@ojewriej: When something like 10% of our population is polish, should I really have to hunt down their culture to experience a little? I could as well go to Poland. I'll experience for more french art/culture/cuisine than Polish in Dublin.

10%? You really think there is 400.000 poles in Ireland?

How is going to the National Gallery or to Wheelans hunting it down? In most parts of Dublin there is an EE shop within a walking distance.

And how would you like to see it happening? Polish music on FM 104? Raw sausage instead of a in a breakfast roll? People complain that there is a Polish suplement in the Evening Herlad once a week.

As for french culture/cuisine - that's hardly surprising, is it? This is what they are known for.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

One treasure that has not been mentioned is
    The Botanic Gardens. Its an absolute haven.

I think you are missing the point. I don't think you know your city.
    No, you assumed I disliked multiculturalism because it brought foreign food/art/music/style.

That's called missing the point, re-read your post thanks! :)

Plenty of Eastern European art in the galleries last time I checked, namely Katarzyna Gajewska.
    Plenty of dutch, french, italian, spanish, portugese art too.
    The well advertised Polish art exhibition was excellent in the National Art Gallery
    I found it really boring actually, judging by the looks on most peoples faces when I was there, they did too :)
    Presuming it was the one running in I think....December or January?
    Why for the love of god could they not get some Zdzisław Beksiński - that I would gladly pay to see.
    My local spar sells polish food, I pass by lots of Polish shops in town.
    Mine doesnt and I dont?
    Gospoda Polska is an excellent Polish restaurant on Capel st.
    I can name you 3 lebanese restaurants offhand in the city centre!(If anyone figures out the reason why, I'll buy you a drink at the next beers)
    This is just one country you picked out. There are hundreds of other influences in the city, I sampled Korean, authentic Chinese, Polish, Czech and lots and lots of other food and cultures lately. I suggest you get out there and try them!
    I sample many cultures purely because parts of them have been subsumed into the irish culture through integration - thats my point, with integration you dont have to make an effort to go to <insert culture>themed events.
    10%? You really think there is 400.000 poles in Ireland?
    Tis what I read somewhere, could be wrong since there are no definite statistics. Some polish sources claim 500,000, though that was before the downturn.
    How is going to the National Gallery or to Wheelans hunting it down? In most parts of Dublin there is an EE shop within a walking distance.
    EE shop? Never seen one and I go through about half of south dublin every day(firhouse/knocklyon/rathfarnham/churchtown/dundrum/stillorgan/ballinteer and a few more places)
    And how would you like to see it happening? Polish music on FM 104? Raw sausage instead of a in a breakfast roll?
    With integration, that's actually what tends to happen dont you know. Interesting that.
    People complain that there is a Polish suplement in the Evening Herlad once a week.
    Might have something to do with it being in a foreign language, rather than in English aimed at Poles.
    As for french culture/cuisine - that's hardly surprising, is it? This is what they are known for.
    Try Italian then *shrug*

One treasure that has not been mentioned is
    The Botanic Gardens. Its an absolute haven.

Thats because the lads would rather talk about who has the biggest micky, or some sort'a sh*t like that.

Yes, The National Botonical Gardens are beautiful, I never tire of visiting them.

Not entirely something to be proud of, but Glasnevin Cemetery with its guided tours of the Patriots plot, the UN plot etc is very interesting and only an asses roar away from the Botonic's.

Plenty of dutch, french, italian, spanish, portugese art too.

Try Italian then *shrug*

You are making some good points, I admit, but as Mairt so eloquently pointed out, we are hijacking the thread.

But this issue is on my mind a lot, so if you want, we can start a new thread, I would happily talk to someone who actually have something to say about it, not only usual "I don't feel like i'm in my own country anymore" sh1te. .

No, you assumed I disliked multiculturalism because it brought foreign food/art/music/style.

Nope..

You said this
    Where's all the polish music, art, craft, style, food?

And I gave you a perfect example in detail of what you asked for in the city. You were caught out, your embarrassed and now you stoop to bolding the ASS in Assume...

Grow up.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭copperfacegaz

the SIPTU building on eden quay....... now dat is gorgeous !!!

the SIPTU building on eden quay....... now dat is gorgeous !!!

I like it actually. It's so depresing looking, always make me think of th 80, and I look around and see how different Ireland is now.

Of course I don't know it first hand, but what I know is enough to appreciate it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Big Plusses... Hugh Lane gallery, Being able to have a pint in the day on your own with the crosaire and not look a wierdo, Mackerel fishing. The Spire's excellent. O'Connell st. hasn't looked as well in 35years. The Iveagh gardens. Rick's Burgers. Ability to pull big/diverse music acts(not to be taken for granted as a lot of cities don't), Dollyer and sandymount...beautiful white sand beaches in a city. (Still a delight to travel over Dollyer's wooden bridge). The integration of foriegn nationals and how on the whole Dubs have embraced them. Mad Fred's brothel in Stoneybatter, where else could you have sex with a mental patient for 15euro! Bingo in the George.

Big Put Offs... Have arsed attempts at promotions. For e.g The Dublin Rock and Roll tour. Have arsed, culturally vacuous from the off and headed by the hateful twat Stokes. Or the traffic info signs that worked for a week about 6year ago and are still left in place with illegable spaceman language on'm. My problem with such things is that the crap is left in place.

Poor, poor road junctions. The time for intellegent traffic/pedestrian traffic systems was 10 year ago. Pedestrian lights that still automatically switch at 4a.m?!

P!ss poor cycle lanes and a public uneducated in the use of cycles or indeed respect of cyclists.

Affected accents to assume a perceived higher cultural standing.

No city centre skate park.

Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

humberklog wrote: »
    Mad Fred's brothel in Stoneybatter, where else could you have sex with a mental patient for 15euro!

I have to hear more about this:eek:

• Advertisement

latenia wrote: »
    I have to hear more about this:eek:
    Can't give his real name out nor a nearer location than Kirwan cottages. However for a lotta years (I 1st witnessed it in 1990)a certain well known local character runs a brothel involving patients from the Gorman for (mostly) patients from the Gorman. And this ol'boy ain't no huggybear! It's positively and wonderfully Joycean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Well, I wasn't looking for the address or phone number; I thought maybe this was some in-joke. Again I say: :eek:

latenia wrote: »
    Well, I wasn't looking for the address or phone number; I thought maybe this was some in-joke. Again I say: :eek:
    Nope no joke! And you'd wanna see this dusty-jerkynervous-highpitchtalking pimploader!
    In fairness latenia it's not really 'shock how awful'. As it has provided comfort and solace both for client and retailer. It ain't fair to have the distracted making baskets all day isolated from society. All involved are happily involved. (ps..i don't patron but have helped them out in past with a few things in past.). It's just funny and very, very old Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Lots of hates but the main one being those low-IQ drivers in their ambulances screeching a nuclear-attack warning siren through busy streets. Then when they get through the siren stops.

Nolanger wrote: »
    Lots of hates but the main one being those low-IQ drivers in their ambulances screeching a nuclear-attack warning siren through busy streets. Then when they get through the siren stops.

I give up.

I give up.
    I'm with you lightening. Grab on and get over.

If your serious, I feel sorry for you.

I'm with you on this.
    A city un-accountable for the sirens that whirrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Love:

The coast from Howth to Clontarf (my usual haunt!)
    The Spire
    Daytrips on the DART
    City Centre when it's sunny and preferably devoid of Spanish students
    Northside wit (Wish I had gotten this!)
    The Zoo and the Phoenix Park

Actually I don't hate that much about Dublin aside from the obvious (how expensive everything is , traffic etc)

• Advertisement

I hate the new advertising hoardings/panels dotted about the city now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement