Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things YOU love and hate about Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

humberklog wrote: »
    Can't give his real name out nor a nearer location than Kirwan cottages. However for a lotta years (I 1st witnessed it in 1990)a certain well known local character runs a brothel involving patients from the Gorman for (mostly) patients from the Gorman. And this ol'boy ain't no huggybear! It's positively and wonderfully Joycean.

Bloody hell I'm from stoneybatter and never heard of this! Madness. Must bring it up when I get home.

On the area specifically I have been happy with the changes over the years. I like javabay there near kavanagh's and the good selection of beer in the drink shop and then of course the proximity to the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Love: Georgian Dublin, Pints in Bruxelles, Walking in the Pine Forest, The view from "the Blue Light", Second Hand Book and Record Stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Northside. The people are salt of the earth, and none of that D4 pretentiousness shíte.

Go into an old pub in Dublin on your own, and if you fancy a quiet hour, it's there, if you fancy an aul natter with a few local characters, it's there. The humour is brilliant, someone else said that even if the chips are down, there's always a laugh to be had. This is very true.

I love the way I can see to the top of Three Rock Mountain all the way from my mam's house in Coolock. No high rise blocking the views. I can see Howth Head from my old bedroom too.

Dublin when it's sunny, there is no better place than St Stephen's Green. A nice quiet haven, right in the middle of one of the busiest shopping areas.

I LOVE the Phoenix Park. Love it, and I wish more people used it. This huge expanse of greenery, and space to kick a ball, play a game of rounders, have a stroll with a special someone. The Phoenix Park is great. Amazing place.

The Luas. I love it and hate it. It's a great, efficient, quiet mode of transport, but why the feck didn't they link it up? Stupidity.

I love pubs like The Porter House and The Bull & Castle, great foreign beers. I also love the way the influx of people has improved the beer situation a hundredfold.

I love the way you can bump into an old friend in Dublin, someone you might not have seen in a couple of years, just because Dublin is small enough.

Heh, I love the way when people are giving directions, they nearly always start by saying "do you know so and so, so and so pub.....".

I hate the rip off culture, but seriously, it CAN be avoided if you want to.

Grafton Street on a Sunny Day. The ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Des wrote: »
    The Northside. The people are salt of the earth, and none of that D4 pretentiousness shíte.

Try Gibneys in Malahide, I detest the kip for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mairt wrote: »
    Try Gibneys in Malahide, I detest the kip for that reason.
    +1 (although I haven't been in it this century but I doubt it has changed!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Malahide is a D4 enclave though.

Doesn't count. :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I love Merrion Square. It is so well kept and is so calm in the middle of the city.

I love the sunsets over the liffey at 6pm in Autumn and Spring, giving the most amazing sunsets and i HATE that very few people stop and look at, every one too busy rushing around.

I love the Buildings in Dublin, they are so diverse and some many different styles all beside each other. i HATE the fact that no-one ever looks up

The Phoenix Park goes without saying, the place is amazing and yet so many people, just go bah!!!!

Dublin is a great city, it has all the problems of a large city but if you can just see past its problems, you would be blown away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The Polish barbour on some street I don't know. Its right beside a Polish shop. Its near enough to Connolly Station. I just hope they don't pack up and leave.

Seeing Chinese people talking with a broken Dublin accent...''where ye going ye ****in ejit ye'....heard outside supervalue in town on Tuesday....absolute legends the pair of them.

The chinese lad who works in a costcutters in town.....me in reference to red bull cola: ''its horrible healy''...chinese worker ''ya....****ing sucks man''

Another hero

Made my day.

The people who hand out those **** advertisement papers...always have a smile on their face.
    I reject every time, but by god do I do it with some respect.

Pearse Station around 10pm....has a really good feel about it.

Come to think about it...the only thing I hate about Dublin is Dr.Quirkey and clueless NTL workers.

I would take great pleasure in destroying Quirkey.

Oh and one thing that not annoys me, but I do shake my head at in disgust.....the kids who do hip hop dancing on o'connell street.....Eh no....your white, just stop...nobody finds you sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I would take great pleasure in destroying Quirkey.

Im with ya sarge, when we going in?

Heard one black bus driver end a sentence with " in me bollix" in a broad african accent to another black bus driver, class stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SuzyBoo

Hates: Increasing number of cyclists on pavements especially those amphibians who cycle at breakneck speed on the road, then suddenly mount the path out of nowhere. As observed by other poster, the guards do nothing. :rolleyes:

Never EVER getting a seat on the Luas. Always packed in like sardines and I had pocket picked once. CCTV on Luas, but useless cos too many crammed on to see anything.:(

People dumping uneaten food on paths even though bin is a few feet away. Again no consequence for actions. And don't get me started on public urination.:mad:

Loves: The magnificent architecture especially up around Dame Street.

That certain "soft" rain that seems to refresh the air and the streets and makes the greenery so vibrant.

The smell from Guinness's wafting across the morning air

The colour and bustle of Moore Street

It's home:)

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote: »
    I love the sunsets over the liffey at 6pm in Autumn and Spring, giving the most amazing sunsets and i HATE that very few people stop and look at, every one too busy rushing around.

IMG_9245_copy.jpg

Posted in the photographic forum by Ericl.

I'm hoping to have it as my desk top as soon as he emails me the full size photo.

Posted HERE, if you like it drop him a 'thanks' and encourage more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

theres a book at home that has some lovely photos taken from the bridges over the liffey at sunset. I think its "dublin and its people". Must try root it out

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

I hate to see 11 year old girls or even younger wearing fake tan, false air, huer type clothes and oddly malformed haircuts that should have stayed in the 80's.

Hate the schwar schwars with their cars, who turn their head 180 degrees to
    eyeball you as you stand at the bustop.

I hate to see foreigners who get jobs over here and make no effort to integrate into the community.

I love that we have become quite multicultural and I think the place has become somewhat safer being that the foreigners outnumber the scummers.

I hate standing near Fishamble street/Dublin city council office and getting attacked or harrassed for spare change off some pikey homeless people who are looking for money to feed their habit rather than the phantom hostel.

I love the buzz in Dublins city centre to walk along the boardwalk with a hot chocolate in hot weather.

I do hate when you walk along the boardwalk and get hassled by homeless tramps sleeping on the boardwalk benches.

I hate that Dublin gets a bad rap because of some of the teenagers who walk around as if they are going to some fashion show, pimpin out their hair and wearing clothes so tight you can see the panty line, which in wrong on so many levels, when did children forget to be children?

I hate nightclub bouncers with their quote 'Not tonight', as if they are god or something and why should they have the right to deny anyone, regardless of the way someone looks or how they dress, they are still paying the bars wages by buying drinks etc.

I hate cranky people who serve me in shops, would it be so hard to smile? Some people arent fortunate enough to be employed, so relish it.

I hate the way alot of the Dubliners in certain areas look down on foreigners or other minorities.

I hate these knacker kids who get on the bus and play some schwa music on their phone mp3 that sounds equivalent to a chipmunk being strangled, rave style!!

I hate the way the kids dont play on the street like they used to, now its all computers, make-up and meeting up wiyh opp. sex, no more innocence?

I love the way the airport is so close we can escape the city at a moments notice.

I love when supermarkets are stocked and not selling expired food, I wont quote Fresh in Smithfield on that one though.

^^ I bet your not a youth worker ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like the variety of shops, pubs and restaurants.

I don't like the way Dubs think themselves above all else (no other country I know of uses a equivalent to "culchie") and how the only thing Ireland has going for it compared to other tourist attractions (friendliness, neighbourliness, caring) is loosing ground quickly.
    Tbh, I prefer most other big cities to Dublin, even thought they may be bigger and smellier :) Barcelona is slightly bigger but a million times better/nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Rubbish.

Rural/city divides and antagonism goes on in every country. The whole culchie/jackeen thing is taken way to seriously, its just a word, a slag, a bit of fun. People are getting far to PC and sensitive about it. If it was that bad we would have no rural people living in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I didn't say other countries don't have slagging between city/country (cities everywhere will regard the countryside merely as a supply line of food and workers) - I said HERE it's between Dubs and everyone else, there's even a word for "everyone else" that other countries do not have. Do you understand?

Nevermind, I don't want to derail thread further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

biko wrote: »
    Do you understand?

I do... happens all over the world.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

biko wrote: »
    I didn't say other countries don't have slagging between city/country (cities everywhere will regard the countryside merely as a supply line of food and workers) - I said HERE it's between Dubs and everyone else, there's even a word for "everyone else" that other countries do not have. Do you understand?

Nevermind, I don't want to derail thread further.
    Hicks, Bumpkins, redneck (USA). Bazi(I think china), Worzils and lots more(England), Parisians have some word that essentially means paedophile for anyone beyond Paris. Lot's of (every?) country has them.
    I think it's quite the opposite Biko. I get far more grief in rural areas for being a Dub than I've witnessed people from beyond the pale getting stick from Dubs. There'll always be a bit of light hearted argie-bargie however I have witnessed the divide being created with much more menace in rural areas against Dubs than the other way around.
    I've heard people from urban areas outside Dublin calling people culchies. They do it in Cork, well that's where I've come across it. And eh...Jackeen wouldn't be derogatory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Like - the craic/the people

Loathe - everything else about the kip :D And why are we trying to make Dublin in to one of those "hey it's a groovy and hip happening fancy European city", it's not. Polish a piece of sh!t, it's still a piece of sh!t. Woah where did THAT come from?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think it's quite the opposite Biko. I get far more grief in rural areas for being a Dub than I've witnessed people from beyond the pale getting stick from Dubs. There'll always be a bit of light hearted argie-bargie however I have witnessed the divide being created with much more menace in rural areas against Dubs than the other way around.

That's because if a Dub moves to your rural village you automatically assume they are a drug dealer. :p

Meh, people in rural areas can be vicious with their putdowns. People can live in a village for 20 years and still be called a "blow-in". It almost seems if your family wasn't in the village for generations and didn't own the land pre famine times (owning land is everything!) then you're open to being called a blow-in.

In my own area of North Tipp, Limerick people are regarding with suspecision.
    "The garda raided a house for drugs, must have been Limerick gurriers".
    "A bus of Limerick people are going on a drinking session in our town and hiring a bus home. Guranteed to be trouble"

Rightly or wrongly this is what is said and assumed always.

Whoah, this post was way offtopic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

There are beggars in every major city in the world..its not as if they rob ya! just say no sorry no change for you, or don't say anything at all. they've a right to be there if they want to be.
    Have to say i also disagree with you about dublin bus. Have never any problem with them. The occasional late bus (sometimes regularly late) but have found bus drivers always great when you ask for directions or advise about where to get off.
    As I haven't really lived extensively in any other cities it's very difficult for me to distinguish the things I like/dislike about dublin compared to similar city on the contintent or in america. But what comes to mind first about Dublin ****y is:

Junkies on every street corner or so it seems. In fairness my bus and usual travel routes take me through marlborough street beside the board walk and across the bridge which for some reason seems to be junkie ville. In fairness, I've never really been bother by them but they really annoy me.

I also hate those couple of chancers that go around skabbing money at the luas stops and along o'connell street. especially that eastern european sounding chancer.

I also hate those little gurriers that seem to swarm about like they own the place (i know it's probably their street corner but the little bolloxes need manners).

TBH I also hate those fair weather/johnny come-lately/once in a blue moon dublin pub goes and drinkers. I just find those ***** annoying. Turning up once a year in the big smoke and lacking all the subtle etiquette proper dublin drinkers have. Just in your way and messy and noisy and annoying. **** off back to the suburbs or where ever you came from.

I also have to admit I have a love hate relationship with the pubs and clubs. Dodgy service, rude bouncers bar staff. Incompetent bar staff. Rip off prices. Empty half the time.

I ****ing hate dublin bus too. Everyone associated with the company (bar a few) seem like thick, stupid, shoulder chipped **** who hate their job and do their best to spread the hate and resentment amongst their customers. Badly run and thought our service.

So what do I like? Usually not a bad place for a pint and the odd gig. You just have to try and ignore the small annoying things that seem to threaten your enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dublin lad

i u want to find out the worst place in dublin do the worst place in dublin city thread

Found this thread whilst randomly browsing the forum.

Mairt wrote: »
    Hate's first ... Trying to get good service in shops, cafe's, bar's etc from people with (at best) pidgeon english. I very it infuriating. Went shopping in town the other day and felt like a minority

People in glasshouses........................:D

I'm by no means trying to start an interweb argument here, but I hope the ":D" Indicates sarcasm?

Reason being; you took his English, and made it worse.

Correct:

Trying to get good service in shops, cafes, bars, etc. from people

Putting a ' indicates that the service belongs to the shop, etc. he was talking about, which he wasn't. He was making a broad generalisation.

Eg:

Singular: I went to a pub, and the pub's service was horrible

Plural: We went to a few different places. Sadly, all of the pubs' service were horrible.

(Also, unless 'Hate' is a person with opinions, hate's is incorrect, and hates is correct)

Sorry to bring that up, as it was on the first page of the thread and I'm really not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but I felt it was pretty much uncalled for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Good question. Briefly...

Love: Bohemian FC, Dalymount Park, Dublin accent, Guinness, pubs, theatres (not Abbey: see 'rest of country' below); Dub wits (real ones, not poseurs), Dublin cynicism, Brendan Behan, Dublin Bay, Dublin/Wicklow Mountains, us v them (them being rest of country/landlords/GAA), the Dubliners, Thin Lizzy, Philo, Joxer Kelly, anyone still called Joxer or Whacker, glorious Phoenix Park, Dublin Zoo, Polo Grounds ;), Grafton St, Wicklow St, Dame St, Capel St, Smithfield, the Quays, North Bull, South Bull, the GPO, Kilmainham Gaol, Natural History Museum, Municipal Art Gallery, National Art Gallery, National Museum, Merrion Square, Fitzwilliam Square, Stephen's Green, Canals, Camden Street, Rathmines, Phibsborough, Georgian houses, Victorian squares and houses, Christchurch Cathedral, Dublin Bus, DART, The Irish Times (except for the rubbish sports section), Leinster Rugby, Lansdowne Road.

Hate: 'De Dubs', anything to do with 'De Dubs', corrupt planners/developers/politicians, 'the craic', Lilliputian apartments, dilapidated public hospitals, private hospitals, most hospital consultants, PDs, most lawyers, most of the Celtic Tiger, most Dubs who exclusively support English football clubs, FAI, the Evening Herald, most modern buildings, SUVs, SUV drivers, traffic congestion, traffic noise, appalling treatment of cyclists, drunks, Temple Bar, IFSC, cheap hotels, Dublin Airport, pathetic district snobberies, night clubs, golf clubs, factory pubs, the Wolfe Tones, any department store, Rathgar, stage Dubs, patronising documentaries on Moore Street Molly Malones etc. by people from Rathgar, The Irish Times's Sports Section, Tom Humphries, Dublin Bus, DART, having to think of everything and knowing I won't be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i hate boy racers and "hooligans" that stand on corners and shout at people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Hates: Browsers that wander in and pick up the wrong end of stick. Then (unknowingly) insult one person whilst erroneously correcting another. This was more common a few years ago when MacBerneys was still plying its trade and usually on the 7th of december by people wearing ill-fitting red and white GAA jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm by no means trying to start an interweb argument here, but I hope the ":D" Indicates sarcasm?

Reason being; you took his English, and made it worse.
    If you had read the thread properly instead of randomly browsing, you would know that I merely highlighted the other poster's mistakes (in red) to demonstrate the irony of the post.
    Hates: Browsers that wander in and pick up the wrong end of stick. Then (unknowingly) insult one person whilst erroneously correcting another
    +1

If you had read the thread properly instead of randomly browsing, you would know that I merely highlighted the other poster's mistakes (in red) to demonstrate the irony of the post.

I read the entire thread from start to end. I simply quoted yourself, to point out the irony of you trying to correct someone's spelling mistakes, but getting it wrong. :)

• Advertisement

+1

Actually pointing out the irony of my post wasn't your intention at all, and well you know it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement