Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things YOU love and hate about Dublin

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

*sighs*

I don't know why I am giving this rubbish any more publicity. :rolleyes:

This is what Mairt posted:

Mairt wrote: »
    Hate's first ... Trying to get good service in shops, cafe's, bar's etc from people with (at best) pidgeon english. I very it infuriating. Went shopping in town the other day and felt like a minority.

This is what I posted:
    Mairt wrote:
    Hate's first ... Trying to get good service in shops, cafe's, bar's etc from people with (at best) pidgeon english. I very it infuriating. Went shopping in town the other day and felt like a minority

People in glasshouses........................:D

I found it ironic that someone would complain, in poor English, about the standard of English of others and highlighted several mistakes in one line. It was done in a lighthearted manner, hence the smiley at the end.

(Mairt subsequently provided an explanation, which I accept but I didn't know that at the time of posting).

KKV then comes along, after 'randomly browsing' the thread and asserts that "you took his English and made it worse"! We are then provided with a little English lesson.

Considering that he/she now claims to have read "the entire thread from start to end" perhaps he/she could point out where I have 'corrected' the post and made it worse. I merely highlighted some of the mistakes and didn't try to 'fix' anything.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Loves Dublin people's sense of irony.

Hate's KKVs' sense of irony
    irony :)

(The Mis-use of the singular and plural apostrophes are being used incorrectly on purpose there KKV. I just thought I'd better point that out to you. In case you missed the irony).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

*sighs*

I don't know why I am giving this rubbish any more publicity. :rolleyes:

This is what Mairt posted:

This is what I posted:

I found it ironic that someone would complain, in poor English, about the standard of English of others and highlighted several mistakes in one line. It was done in a lighthearted manner, hence the smiley at the end.

(Mairt subsequently provided an explanation, which I accept but I didn't know that at the time of posting).

KKV then comes along, after 'randomly browsing' the thread and asserts that "you took his English and made it worse"! We are then provided with a little English lesson.

Considering that he/she now claims to have read "the entire thread from start to end" perhaps he/she could point out where I have 'corrected' the post and made it worse. I merely highlighted some of the mistakes and didn't try to 'fix' anything.

Mairt is a big old fashioned military obsessed boy....Gareth Keenan for 2008.

Check out his ridiculous photos on After Hours for a few cheap laughs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

the thing I miss and always love about dublin is bumping into people who I havent seen in years. I left the country years ago so I dont experience that where I am now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You know something else I love about Dublin...

We can all have a big girls blouse argument and still laugh about it over a pint.

Now, like I've said before - anyone fancy a pint someday and a laugh about boards, plus a good ol' back biting I'm up in Campions beside Balgriffin cemetry most Sunday evenings & for a quick one after Judo training on Thursday nights.

Now lets drop the bullsh*t, its a small world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Mairt is a big old fashioned military obsessed boy....Gareth Keenan for 2008.

Check out his ridiculous photos on After Hours for a few cheap laughs :)

Well there ya go... why not take him up on his invitation for a pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

IanCurtis wrote: »
    few cheap laughs :)

Cheap shots don't you mean? Mairt has an excuse though I think he is actually a soldier.

Roight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 devereux08

moved out of dublin two years ago to buy an affordable decent house,
    loved it at first but now i miss the bustle of the city i wanna come home
    I MISS THE OUL GIRL:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 zach morris

I love being in town(around grafton street) at night. I've never experienced any trouble and only ended up making friends with strangers.

I also love how small Dublin can be. Usually everyone you meet that is around the same age ends up being a friend of a friend or in the same course as your mate or so on and so forth.

I hate the people that just make life worse for others here. Dirty rotten scumbags who just ruin any atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bins

I am from dublin and left it a small city trying to be london but love it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 devereux08

How in the name of god is dublin trying to be like London
    what a dumb thing to say:confused: dublin has a character all of its own (people history etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Mairt wrote: »
    Hate's first ... Trying to get good service in shops, cafe's, bar's etc from people with (at best) pidgeon english. I very it infuriating. Went shopping in town the other day and felt like a minority.

I hate the Spire - pointless (no pun intended).

I hate, absolutely detest the amount of junkie scumbags allowed to pollute our streets.

I hate that new building on Dame St. the glass and concret one beside the city hall.

(I'll add more to this list later I'm sure).

The things I love about Dublin are disappearing too quickly. I love being a Dub, I love being Irish and I to see how both are being diluted with all this 'multi-cultural' rubbish, and I hate it.

how did they let this happen... I looks like a community centre from a disadvantaged area.. it's rank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I have some things I absolutely love about Dublin.

It's full of nooks and crannys you can make your own. I worked in the warehouse on Richmond Rd, and everything about it was seriously like a part of Dublin that never gave in to the crap that has seeped in. All the lads working there were the gems of Dublin. Talk of the Findlater family, Dublin in the sixties, the old way things were done... When I worked there, one of the guys celebrated his 60th year working there! He was also in the LDF during the emergency. The Star did a great article on him.

For some reason, everything attacehed with this business seemed to be old Dublin. Every drop off I did with the van driver showed me a part of Dublin I didn't know - Moore St, the back end of Parnell St, the tiny shops throughout Finglas and Cabra - where each was a family business.

I also love the brewery. I really can't get enough of it. If you've ever been there, free to walk around, you really can't believe how some parts of it are just so old. There are streets and alleyways in there that look like a foot hasn't fallen on them since photographs were taken in colour.

Even to walk back from the brewery towards the city centre brings Thomas St and the stalls. Turn right off it and your walking down towards francis street. I seriously love this street - all the cheapo bars, the cakes, random junk... The contemptous looks from the stall holders and locals (altough thats worn off now that I've been there a bit :p)

So many parts of Dublin that I can't even remember right now. Des got a lot of mine in his post! Although, I did shed a tear when the odl Artane Band Hall was burned down last autumn. It was housing a **** load of memorabilia that was meant to go to museums, including photos, uniforms of the band, old pics of Croke Park. ****in' yobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sig226

love being in town(around grafton street) at night. I've never experienced any trouble and only ended up making friends with strangers.
    .....and wading through vomit! What a kip

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Things I love: Lots and lots of things, that's why I live here.

Things I hate: People who constantly bitch about Dublin and how **** it is, but still continue to live here. Here's a tip for you... If you don't like it F**KING LEAVE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I hate:

the prices, the way everyone has a superiority complex or an inferority complex, dublin bus, the pub opening hours, the basic costs.

i love:

the way the city looks in the summer when the sun is shinig, its actually pretty beautiful.
    the oppurtunities its given me

And I am moving! finally got so sick of the hates above that its the only way to keep my sanity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

Zascar wrote: »
    Things I love: Lots and lots of things, that's why I live here.

Things I hate: People who constantly bitch about Dublin and how **** it is, but still continue to live here. Here's a tip for you... If you don't like it F**KING LEAVE!

i did leave, much happier now! dont hate me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

likes: when idiots like utick leave the place. the growing diversity and i find people generally very cool. leaving by the sea. st.pat's inchicore. leinster rugby. camden st. all the bands that come here.

dont like: weather i guess. not that it really bothers me that much, just be better during the summer if it was more predictable. it could be a bit more vibrant, sometimes it feels abit one dimensional.

overall i love the place and its the best place i have lived :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

Like : Hodges Figgis, Rathmines, Chapters, the relatively good whiskey served here compared to Ennis.

Hate : the scumbag junkies northside, the pretentious fascist **** southside, noise levels in Trinity Halls.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

REPSOC1916 wrote: »

Hate : the scumbag junkies northside, the pretentious fascist **** southside, noise levels in Trinity Halls.

Hate: People that reside in the city and use shockingly ignorant sweeping statements disregarding the nuances of the city and the offence such a statement could have on its very understanding natives.

Love: Dollyer...I went down this morning to see the sun-rise. Very impressive with sun rising in the east and the moon settling down in the west. Spectacular. Culews, oystercatchers, brent geese and heaveny spherical bodies obeying the glue of universal gravity. All was well in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Harolds+

I'd love if all culchies and immigrants went home and stop ****ing the Dubs out of it or if they wish to stay, they have to wear a star of Da....sorry, a crest indentifying want county they are from so we know who they are and dont have to talk to them

I would like that very much : D

I would love to see social housing in Ballsbridge and Donnybrook (although the latter is dangerous as it is!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

Harolds+ wrote: »
    I'd love if all culchies and immigrants went home and stop ****ing the Dubs out of it or if they wish to stay, they have to wear a star of Da....sorry, a crest indentifying want county they are from so we know who they are and dont have to talk to them

I would like that very much : D

I would love to see social housing in Ballsbridge and Donnybrook (although the latter is dangerous as it is!)

is that meant to be funny?

i love dublin but some people piss me off, particulary the rare old times mentality of older dublin people. piss off for **** sake. depressing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement