Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Accomodation

Options
  • 22-07-2008 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

This is prob in the wrong section but what harm

Just wondering how much rent is costing people next year..??

I will be staying in Cuirt na Coiribe and attending NUIG (hopefully!) my rent will cost 4095 euro for 1 Sept to 31st May..

Is this a ridiculous or reasonable sum of money in comparison to Dublin/Limerick/ etc accomodation costs???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Hoping to go to CIT. Have booked Edenhall. Single room with en-suite. Costing me 4,650 which includes the 400 euro deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

it's a lot (€455/m), you could probably get a better place for 350-400 on daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

it's a lot (€455/m), you could probably get a better place for 350-400 on daft.ie
    You're dead right. I would advise all students to stay away from these ''purpose built'' student villages with all the mod cons. They are much more expensive in the long run. You could get a normal house on college road or western road for much cheaper than 450 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

nerd3000 wrote: »

I will be staying in Cuirt na Coiribe and attending NUIG (hopefully!) my rent will cost 4095 euro for 1 Sept to 31st May..

Is this a ridiculous or reasonable sum of money in comparison to Dublin/Limerick/ etc accomodation costs???
    The only reason Limerick is a lot cheaper is because UL is located far outside the city in the suburbs where accomodation is much cheaper.
    I don't know why you beileve €4000 is a lot more expensive than Dublin prices.

I'm going for UCC myself and my accomodation is costing me €4500!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Hoping to go to DkIT, looking at either the student accomadation or else one of Hoey's Lane and College Manor, feckin Student Union website is a load of ****e :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

i'm just gonna..............find a house, half as expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bug!!!

wats the it cost around limerick??

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Bug!!!

wats the cost round limerick??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

A bit on the pricey side indeed. Paying 240 euros a month myself. (Basic but dry and tidy which is more than I can say for many places I checked out) But Cuirt is a seriously nice place and is certainly much more luxurious than your average student accomadation. Plus, an easy way to meet new people (not as good as Corrib Village but you'll probably pass your exams living in Cuirt lol)if you don't know many people in Galway.

Bug!!! wrote: »
    UL or LIT, theres a difference, but Id recommend contacting the accomodations office at UL, UL has generally cheaper accomodation than the other Universities because its located outside the city in the Suburbs and great choice aswel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm going into 2nd Year @ UCC and my accomodation will be E5070 for the year! It's a lot of money, but that covers all bills/utilities etc.

Luckily I have a Government scholarship and a County Council grant. Otherwise, there's no way in hell I could afford it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,545 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

just keep your heads up kids. Cheaper can often mean just that. Much in the same way expensive can mean ripoff. dont judge accomodation on price alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Bug!!! wrote: »
    Your unstabbed abdomen?

Timans wrote: »
    Your unstabbed abdomen?
    Honestly, like do you really find yourself funny.
    I'm going into 2nd Year @ UCC and my accomodation will be E5070 for the year! It's a lot of money, but that covers all bills/utilities etc.

Luckily I have a Government scholarship and a County Council grant. Otherwise, there's no way in hell I could afford it! :)

Is that student accomodation like say Victoria Lodge or something?

1huge1 wrote: »
    Is that student accomodation like say Victoria Lodge or something?

Farranlea Hall. It's not run by UCC, it's a privately run student complex (like Victoria Mills and Deans Hall and a few other places)
    It has a great reputation though - I've read lots of good things by people who've stayed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,936 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My friend found a place in Limerick city today and we are going to take a look at it tomorrow. 75 a week and it's fully furnished and what not...

mars bar wrote: »
    My friend found a place in Limerick city today and we are going to take a look at it tomorrow. 75 a week and it's fully furnished and what not...
    Fair play, major advantage of accomodation in Limerick is that its so much cheaper (for UL) because its so far outside the city centre.
    Farranlea Hall. It's not run by UCC, it's a privately run student complex (like Victoria Mills and Deans Hall and a few other places)
    It has a great reputation though - I've read lots of good things by people who've stayed there.
    Oh very good, are you going into 1st year? I am and I booked victoria lodge, I checked and its basically right beside farranlea hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

im paying 88 a week in cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Ahh its a bit high, but advice from everybody is to live on the student/campus type places where you pay in a lump sum for teh first year, and then move out for second. Its good to ease you into living away from home like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 darraghc

I'm the same..€4095, gotta pay €2310 by august 15th!!...but hey its a 5 bedroom apartment with all my friends so should be good..

• Advertisement

darraghc wrote: »
    I'm the same..€4095, gotta pay €2310 by august 15th!!...but hey its a 5 bedroom apartment with all my friends so should be good..
    Wow thats not leaving ya much time after the results.

Oh very good, are you going into 1st year? I am and I booked victoria lodge, I checked and its basically right beside farranlea hall.

Nope, 2nd Year. Alas 1st Year is but a distant memory now :(
    For the last year I commuted every day from Mallow and it was a pain in the hole. So that's why I gots me a flat :cool:
    Yeah Farranlea is very close to Victoria Lodge. It's about 15 min walk to UCC, which is grand because last year it took me 35-40 mins each morning to walk from the train station. (Only took bus when it was raining)

Nope, 2nd Year. Alas 1st Year is but a distant memory now :(
    For the last year I commuted every day from Mallow and it was a pain in the hole. So that's why I gots me a flat :cool:
    Yeah Farranlea is very close to Victoria Lodge. It's about 15 min walk to UCC, which is grand because last year it took me 35-40 mins each morning to walk from the train station. (Only took bus when it was raining)
    You walked 40mins to college every day after getting a train, you my friend have gained my respect.

Here's me thinking of getting a bike or something for the 10min walk from victoria lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

darraghc wrote: »

Im in the same accom!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

I paid a deposit of €800 and have to pay €1200 by the 21st. Deposit pays for the "utilities" apparently so all good.

You walked 40mins to college every day after getting a train, you my friend have gained my respect.

Haha thanks! :D I didn't mind it tbh because I needed the exercise! Plus I often stopped and got coffee or hot chocolate halfway.
    And it was 30/35 mins most mornings. Only when it was really busy (or I was really tired) did it take 40+ mins.

Fair play, major advantage of accomodation in Limerick is that its so much cheaper (for UL) because its so far outside the city centre.

No, not anymore. The apartment was down near LSC, near a park, and turned out to be €85 a week. That's more than student accommodation. Top that with buses out to LIT everyday and buying lunch... not good.
    So I am going for the student accomm...

No, not anymore. The apartment was down near LSC, near a park, and turned out to be €85 a week. That's more than student accommodation. Top that with buses out to LIT everyday and buying lunch... not good.
    So I am going for the student accomm...
    You mean Limerick senior college ya, well sorry for not explaining myself better, I was referring to UL,
    Buses out to LIT every day would be a serious pain by the way, the bus service here in Limerick is terrible.

No I got what you are at, I didn't explain myself properly! I guessed it was pretty bad when every shuttle-bus bus-stop didn't have any times on them! They probably aren't even used...I was told you would have to get to the Info Centre on Henry St. to get a bus to Caherdavin to get to LIT...too much money(and time) to be wasting at the end of the day when there are more logical ways to do it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement