Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big balls on power lines

• 22-07-2008 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Have seen large red and white balls, attached to the lines of power lines and just wonder what there use is?

They are not on all lines and only seem to be, on small lenghts between pylons.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think they're there so helicopters following cars can see the lines.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I used to call em pokemon balls :D , actually i think its to stop the lines bashing off each other in the wind, so they avoid contact, well thats what I was told anyways :P

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

They're there to remind you just how big your balls should really be.

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Some balls are held for charity
    And some for fancy dress
    But when they're held for pleasure
    They're the balls that I like best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I was told they are to stop swans, which fly following the roads, crashing into the power lines.
    I bet someone clever will come on here and give the right answer, and I will be made look the fool again. Damn the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

They are for low flying aircraft (mostly choppers) who may be following the roads for whatever reason so they know where power lines are are and don't just fly into them.

because that'd be bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

They're English spys sent to make sure we don't make a decent attempt at speaking Gaelige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

They're a gift from an alien race, to give us something else to discuss other than the weather.
    ...or to stop low flying aircraft, people, and pigs from crashing into them and going ZZZzzzzZZZap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

Pataman wrote: »
    I was told they are to stop swans, which fly following the roads, crashing into the power lines.
    I bet someone clever will come on here and give the right answer, and I will be made look the fool again. Damn the internet.

Yep, heard that too. Think it was on the Ray D'Arcy show. Swans are the only bird over here that are big enough to connect to two of the wires which can cause some power supply issues and fry the bird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I think they are balls for power lines.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Joe Cool wrote: »
    Yep, heard that too. Think it was on the Ray D'Arcy show. Swans are the only bird over here that are big enough to connect to two of the wires which can cause some power supply issues and fry the bird.
    Would want to be the biggest swan ever seen.
    The gap between the opposite charge cables on the High Voltage transmission network, is at least 10 feet.

They're simply markers to allow choppers/light aircraft which do usually follow roads for navigation to see the lines.
    Some, are fitted with flashing beacons, although not sure if it's in use in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

As some people have said, they are markers to stop light aircraft/helicopters crashing into the lines. They also contain/are made of metal, so they show up on radar of aircraft flying in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Joe Cool

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Would want to be the biggest swan ever seen.
    The gap between the opposite charge cables on the High Voltage transmission network, is at least 10 feet.

They're simply markers to allow choppers/light aircraft which do usually follow roads for navigation to see the lines.
    Some, are fitted with flashing beacons, although not sure if it's in use in Ireland.

I dunno, examples in the links below:

http://www.jhwildlife.org/powerline.php

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4361079.stm

http://hollowhappenings.blogspot.com/2006/12/and-now.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Joe Cool wrote: »
    they're all cases of low voltage lines, the type connecting villages/housing estates to the "mains".
    High voltage network connects Cities/Towns/Industrial users (Auginish, etc) to the power stations. It's the arteries, if you like, of the National Grid, voltage is 400kV , where as the lower voltage lines are the capilaries, with voltages ranging from 240V to 38KV.
    With higher voltages, the possibility of arcing, where the lines short out to each other or to the steel pylon means glass insulators are used to hang the cable from the tower, and there's a large gap to the opposing charged cable, and the tower upright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

It means there's a crack dealer somewhere nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Some balls are held for charity
    And some for fancy dress
    But when they're held for pleasure
    They're the balls that I like best

My balls are always bouncing to the left and to the right,
    It's my belief that my big balls should be held every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

well heres the real story
    when they were building the m50 the planners in the NRA all sitting around their desks when someone asked "what about the power lines across the proposed new motorway "(yeh motorway):D .
    "what powerlines" "oh those powerlines "
    "ah hang your balls from them "
    now theres an idea for making use of those e voting machines :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

i remember asking my dad this when i was a kid and he told me that some young fellas were playing football and the balls got stuck up there ha ha

I believed that for years :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement