Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So how far would it set us back if all written information was lost

• 22-07-2008 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Imagine it - all books, all computer files, absolutely any form of recorded information was lost, the only information left was that stored in peoples memories, how far would this set us back, answers on a postcard to ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

About 600-700 years? Do i win a The Den T-Shirt?

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

youd be talking an instant loss of any computer or telecom network. we might never recover. if we did it would take decades. if not centuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

We wouldn't be able to respond to the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

Is the written word gone forever or do we get to start writing stuff down again?

I'd say technically and what have you we'd recover pretty quick. People would still have the skills on hand and the memory of their job to do what needs to be done.

Culturally it would be a huge set back. Not many people could rattle of literary classics by memory these days unlike in the past and non-literate cultures in the less developed world now who pass down their history and lore orally.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Terry wrote: »
    2 weeks.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

good luck getting computers back online: we'd have to start back at binary and work our way back up to Assembly Code. it would be madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Overheal wrote: »
    good luck getting computers back online: we'd have to start back at binary and work our way back up to Assembly Code. it would be madness.

They called me mad when i went and learned assembly... WHO'S MAD NOW!?

mbwhahahahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

Overheal wrote: »

But but but it could be done, right? right? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Magpie! wrote: »
    But but but it could be done, right? right? :eek:

Of course it could. The open source community would be our saviors.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

CHD wrote: »
    who cares?

You enough to reply?

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What's the betting taht the first things up and running would be text/phone polls, x-factor and tabloids...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

1 year and 46 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It would have benefits: we could rewrite the Bible and make some slight adjustments.

ABORTIONS, HOMOSEXUALITY, MASTURBATION AND ADULTERY FOR ALL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It would have benefits: we could rewrite the Bible and make some slight adjustments.

ABORTIONS, HOMOSEXUALITY, MASTURBATION AND ADULTERY FOR ALL.

We're men - how can we have abortions?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

FunkZ wrote: »
    1 year and 46 days.

ah come on thats way too optimistic. I'd personally say not a pip over 411 days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Science, my good man - we can get pregnant if we're willing to do a bit of self-adjustment! So we can therefore get abortions too.
    A man having an abortion could make MILLIONS if you display him at a gallery of pretentious modern art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

A lot of Muslims learn the Quran by heart.

Any mods ever get a "this thread is a threat to national security" message on a reported post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

miju wrote: »
    ah come on thats way too optimistic. I'd personally say not a pip over 411 days :D

John McClane will prevent it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

Okay, but we can fight for our right to have abortions!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

All written info gone? We would be completely fubar. Healthcare/transport/government/financial markets/food/power supply would collapse and within a month what we would recognise as civilisation would be gone pretty much. Even Your Ma would be in trouble.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Need to be careful walking around blank signs, probably didn't say minefield, but you can't be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well considering that literacy rates are falling and textspeak is rising I'd say we may find out in the next 10 years or so. :(

Kids won't understand our current text books and a massive Government project will be undertaken to translate great literary works into textspeak.

2 b r nt 2 b? Dat is d q?

Wl u b dr 2 c it? Wl u ndrstnd it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

hussey wrote: »
    John McClane will prevent it

Internet Savvy terrorists are no match for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well considering that literacy rates are falling and textspeak is rising I'd say we may find out in the next 10 years or so. :(

Kids won't understand our current text books and a massive Government project will be undertaken to translate great literary works into textspeak.

2 b r nt 2 b? Dat is d q?

Wl u b dr 2 c it? Wl u ndrstnd it?

I'd laugh if it wasn't true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

Everyone would have to "remember":rolleyes: what their bank balance was. Mortgages, loan info, credit card history - gone!!

Sounds fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Every one would start afresh and it really would be a battle of the fittest to claim stock, land, money, all possesions would be up for grabs. I know for one I could easily forget that BIFFO was our country's leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

WHY SO MANY CAPITALS???

OP: it would take approximately 0.0008 seconds to recover, thats how long it would take for the new DNA bio computer things, to tap into our minds, take our knowledge, fix everything and then take over the world...

• Advertisement
Advertisement