Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue piercing

Options
  • 22-07-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

Most cases it possible to have both, although would depend on the placement of the tongue piercing and your anatomy (namely the size of your tongue web - a more pronounced web could mean you have to place the tongue piercing closer to the front - where you're more than likely gonna develop a bit of a lisp..not hugely noticeable though), also it might be a case where you'll have to change the ring for a bar for comfort :)
    Best thing to do would be to call in to a good piercer, get them to check it out for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

You should be fine. The procedure itself is fine, there will be discomfort for 2weeks afterwards but it's not that bad. Piercing through ear cartilage was alot worse. Just make sure to use Corsydyl mouthwash for the period of time recommended. It's not a 'bad' procedure at all. Well worth it! I had mine pierced in Waterford so I cant recommend anywhere in Dub. Although the piercing place at the top of Stephan's Green looks very clean/professional! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I have both and have had no problems!dont be nervous,relax its honestly not bad at all!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Cherryvega

Its normal for it to feel uncomfortable, there's a lot more movement there than you'd think :)
    Just rinse with salt water (not too regularly or you'll p!ss it off) and avoid the usual dairy/spicy food etc like you did with the tongue piercing and it should be fine.
    A weeks time and you won't notice it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

first few days are awful but give it a week youl feel so much better!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Tongue piercings are never dead on straight so as to avoid irritating your tongue webbing. If you are really worried go in tomorrow and ask for a longer bar

To be honest it's probably just the swelling which is making it look worse than it is. The longer the bar the bigger the distance between the ball-end and your tongue. shorter it gets the less noticeable it will be.

crappy image here

think of it like this

..................o
    ................./
    ................/
    .............../ <--- level tongue is at (swollen with long bar)
    ............../ its gonna look very off centre compared
    ............./ with a shorter bar and a normal tongue
    ............/
    .........../
    ..........o

upon further reflection, basically a longer bar is gonna exaggerate the angle it is pierced at. once it's sitting flush with your tongue it'l hardly be noticeable. if you really are worried lash up a pic, but best bet is to go to where you got it done, slobber all over em while trying to explain and hopefully they will sort it for ya :D less of the slobbering though :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 JaneLane00

If its that bad, nurofen plus (make sure its the plus and not cold and flu) is an anti-inflammatory and will temporarily take down the swelling in your tongue, handy for eating. Follow directions on the pack, try not to over-dose, and use Difflam oral rinse no more than twice a day. I got mine done, drank three vodka's and ate two cheeseburgers that night.

I got hungry, ha!

When you get the smaller bar things should settle down for you, if its still off centre and you're not happy, ask the piercing studio why it was put off centre, then seek a second opinion from another REPUTABLE place, not places that use guns to "pierce" *ahem*VIOLATE*ahem* your body.

If they say they can pierce it straight, maybe think of taking it out, letting it heal and see what thay can do in a few months time. Important you let it heal first. Second time round can hurt a lot more. Got my tonge web done after taking the first one out and fainted, and I've a very high pain threshold. My own stupid mistake for thinking I was invincible!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Tongue piercings are usually off centre anyway, so as to avoid going through the veins that run up the middle of your tongue.

I thought they went down either side... bleh where's a dentist when you need one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 JaneLane00

Tongue piercings are usually off centre anyway, so as to avoid going through the veins that run up the middle of your tongue.

I agree that tongue piercings are usually off centre, but thats at the bottom, it should be centre at the top. This is due to the oral frenulums which could become irritated. Under the tongue should be piered no more that two millimetres off centre, and coming out centre on top.

This whole vein thing is a myth. Its actually quite rare that people have this vein running exactly centre of their tongues (usually their are two running parallel down the tongue with a gap in the middle) and if tongues are pierced centre it will "kill them" or "lead to a hospital visit".

When I was a piercer we had literally hundreds of people come into us saying X studio wouldnt pierce them because they had a vein. We'de have a look, a good laugh and then pierce them and they were always sucessfully done. Only once in my time of being a piercer did we turn anyone away due to this vein. We also forewarned her that if she got it done, it would be off centre, as any studio should do.

Seriously, crooked piercings are as a result of poor piercing skills, and a lack of knowlege regarding the human anatomy. If they knew there was a vein they would have said something before. Although one thing I'll say in a piercers defence is that if the customer is nervous and can't relax their tongue then it can be difficult to see where the cannula is going to end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

JaneLane00 wrote: »
    I agree that tongue piercings are usually off centre, but thats at the bottom, it should be centre at the top.

Yup, agreed, but as the poster hadn't said if it was off to one side on the top or the bottom, I'd assumed they meant the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jagabomb

yup mine was the same...not to worry! still have a bit of a dent and have it done about 5 months now so wouldnt worry about that, as far as iknow they are rarely bang on in the centre... i used oraldene mouthwash but if your tongue starts going green it means ur using 2much! be careful with nurofen as it thins your blood and your tongue may bleed:eek:
    i went through all the same 'is mine normal' phase when i first got it done... i think everyone does..
    glad yr happy with it anyway solitaryman666 :)

How do piercers usually respond, when you're unhappy with an off centre piercing?

Is it a case of 'tough luck', or do they look after you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Usually a piercer would mark where the piercing would go first and ask if you were happy with the placement before they went ahead... Did the piercer do this with you or did they just pierce away and hope for the best?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement