Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get good results recording directly from line out on an amp?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Does anyone do this and how do you go about getting your best result? Do you need to use a DI box when feeding the line out on an amp to the line in on a desk or can you just go direct? Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

It depends on what you mean by good and it depends on the amp you're using. In general it might give you a functional sound but I'd suggest that it's a practice best avoided where ever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

if you record the effects loop out/send or the line out then you can use cabinet impulse responses to simulate the poweramp/cab part.

its a procedure getting pretty popular. you need something like voxengo boogex or SIR ( both free). With these plug ins, load up an impulse response, set the output to 100 % wet and you can get decent/very usable tones. alot of people have started using these for recordings where they need to be done quitely or quickly.
    you'll have to find impulse responses to use but there's tons for free on various forums and sites- its cool cause you can have a pick between loads of different cabs, speakers and microphones/positions. you'll just have to spend some time looking for them.

its very handy and if you spend time at it you can get great sounds- alot of rock/metal guys are using this now for recording demos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

In a word, I would probably have to say...no.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

TelePaul wrote: »
    In a word, I would probably have to say...no.

If you're gonna be that short about it I'd say yes, you can get great sounds from recording a line-out, but only with the right treatment, leaving it dry sounds terrible i'll give you that.

Advertisement