Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Xp error..Please help!

• 22-07-2008 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Basically my home desktop’s decided to feck up on me. It loads up to a screen that says "windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this". Then it gives me a number of options
    Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe mode with Command Prompt
    Last known good Configuration
    Start windows normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
    Then a timer starts till windows starts.

It pre-selects Start Windows Normally

The arrow keys won’t work for me to select a different option. It loads the Start Windows Normally. It goes to Windows XP loading screen but then resets and goes back to the beginning it’s a constant loop.

I've tried a number of different things. First I took the key board out and put it into a different USB port, the up and down keys still wouldn’t work. Then I tried a different key board but it didn’t make any difference. I also tried the very old fashioned reset and power off, neither making a difference.

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated as I’m going mental being stuck on my crappy laptop with no CS!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

can you connect up a ps2 keyboard?

but you will probably need to run a chkdsk from the windows cd repair command prompt

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

I dont actually have a ps2 keyboard im afraid. How would I go about running a the command prompt? :S
    Thanks

you'll have to get one, i know your keyboard worked fine in windows, but your motherboard is obviously not capable of working a usb keyboard

that command i mentioned can fix xp boot problems, but you'll have to boot up your pc off the windows xp cd

I found an old keyboard of mine that my motherboard recognises. When I select any of the options given it just resets. When i boot it off the cd it says that it cant find my hard-drive when I as it to repair XP. Any other ideas?

check if its detected in bios

open it up and reseat both ends of all the hard drive cables

• Advertisement

its still detected in bios and all the cables are still in it. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help so far wouldnt of even know this much myself lol

on some motherboards you need to insert a floppy disk to tell the windows xp cd how to see your hard drive, see if you can find the motherboards make and model, its usually stamped on the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭pdevo

it sounds like your hdd is broken when booting press f8 when you get options disable auto restart you should get a blue screen then see what error you get it will prob be unmountable boot volume if it is it is you hdd

mukki wrote: »
    on some motherboards you need to insert a floppy disk to tell the windows xp cd how to see your hard drive, see if you can find the motherboards make and model, its usually stamped on the board

Seems to have done the trick found the floppy and ran chkdsk.Cheers lads for all the help :D

Thanks

Advertisement