Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.skydiveireland.ie in Nenagh, Co. Tipperary?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Hey guys you did yourselfs proud again, A guy Rang Gerry Ryan telling of his jump with Darren..I missed the guys name but it turns out he is completely blind and was explaining how Darren worked really hard with him to make it work for him. He sounded completely stoked and had nothing but praise for you lot. I believe hes hoping to go again for charity, what an inspiration this fella was. Good job, well done.:D

Edit: The guys name is Mark Fitzsimons and is planning to raise money with a Skydive for his girlfriend who suffers with cerebral palsy. Best of luck Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

Did my first jump saturday... What a blast!!!
    It was a present for my 30th bday and even though I had to postpone
    throughout the whole Irish summer I'm delighted i finally got to do it!!
    Weather was finally perfect and I jumped at sunset, wich made it even
    crazier. I should get the video this week will post it on youtube.
    I'd say I look absolutely terrified (Cause i was!!)Can't wait to see it!
    The lads at skydive Ireland are just incredible, so dedicated and so
    encouraging and positive.Top notch.
    Will do another jump very soon. And another one. And another one.
    And... :)

Nice job Wimmy, spiritual isn't it!:D stick up the vid when you get it.

Blue Skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

We were planning on continuing our static line course about a week ago but got a call off Darrren to say that the place would be closed due to flood warnings. Skip ahead 7 days and this weekend past was one of the nicest I've seen all summer. Hopefully it'll stay like this for our jump.

Mike, we should be heading down for 11 o'c on Sunday if you're at all tempted with getting a few more jumps under your belt.

Fingers crossed for those blue skies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i was there on saturday working probably saw you congrats on the jump

edit; mark is actually trying to break a world record for most skydives in one day by a blind person he is trying to do 15 but its early days yet

• Advertisement

Corega wrote: »
    We were planning on continuing our static line course about a week ago but got a call off Darrren to say that the place would be closed due to flood warnings. Skip ahead 7 days and this weekend past was one of the nicest I've seen all summer. Hopefully it'll stay like this for our jump.

Mike, we should be heading down for 11 o'c on Sunday if you're at all tempted with getting a few more jumps under your belt.

Fingers crossed for those blue skies :p

Andy! hey man how you doing? man I've been a bad boy and piling on the pounds!:( afraid to go near a weighing scales at the minute. I'm defo pushing towards the 15 st. limit. As for Sunday I believe the weathers going to be good, you booked up? hey also, a general question guys, I jumped first time 2nd Aug, same day as Andy, is there a limit to the amount of time before I must go again to continue? or at what point do I have to start all over again? Oh last question, Does SDI do AFF level 1? as a first option? Peak you might be able to answer that for me.

Story buddy, I'm not doing too bad. Apparently, if we haven't done a jump for 6 weeks we have to do a refresher course of 2 hours. I imagine it goes over the basics; emergency procedure, min altitude for opening reserve etc. But once we have that holy grail that is the A licence we can go 6 months between jumps without having to do any courses.

On a side note, I've recently returned to student life and a student way of eating...so that 15 stone mark will be fast approaching :P

ye its six weeks while your a student

sdi will do aff with you if you really want to but i dont think any aff student has done the whole course in ireland due to the weather

edit; when i say in ireland i mean at skydive ireland i dont know about the ipc

I think its gonna be a once off thing guys, as I said on the day, to one of the lads, "sure I'll do the training, we'll see about the jump" I might have been happy with that. When it came the time and the weather turned for the better I thought if I don't do it I'll regret it, and only have to come back and do it again!! On the ride up a certain calmness settled on me, weird, at that point I knew what was going to happen and when six of you went out ahead of me, sure that was it.....it had to happen:D Its like what Dave said to me before we went up, we were there Doin it! No regrets now, its done.

I can only commend you lot for continuing, best of luck with the A. and stay safe guys, I've no doubt your in good hands with Darren and the rest of them at SDI. If I find myself at a loose end I might call up to the DZ to say hello to all of ya.

Still find myself looking up at clouds....and everytime I hear a small Aircraft...:D

Blue Skies.

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Did a tandem a few weeks back on my travels round New Zealand. Was fantastic, if a little cold and windy up there. ;) Had another guy jumping with us as well with a couple of cameras on his helmet and now I'm back I finally got to see the DVD they did for us properly, all pretty good and was well worth the money as I doubt I'll be doing it again.

Not certain if the day of jumping off bridges that I did a couple of days after with bungy attached to my ankels was better or not, but I certainly did a lot of jumping off things in NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The video of my jump* from a plane:

*More of a push really

will have a look later, robinph, at work.:) push,trip, fall, its all the same mate. out the door!!

Excellent video dude, there's no chance the bungee jumping could top that. Your comment about it being a push rather than a jump reminds me of one of the lads on our course. After our jump we were shown video footage of us exiting the plane and this guy kinda hesitated but our instructor Dave gave him a gentle "you're on your way" push. Much to his surprise and you could see his hands and arms flailing all over the place. It was the funneh.

I think I inadvertently smacked the same guy in the face while trying to get in position by the door, so there was me appologising profusely to this chap moments before jumping out. :) If you're reading this I'm still really sorry.

That is the video edited as they had ready for me to take away within a few minutes of me hitting the ground, very slick operation they were running there. They have you all fully under control and the moment before I fall out of the plane I'm already not touching it at all and it just the tandem guy sat in the doorway, they make sure you keep your hands out of the way and then hold you head back looking at the sky so that you are not even aware of the moment he starts to lean out as they don't want anyone trying to grab hold of stuff.

Then it's just a lot of cold air rushing towards you and you watching the cameraman floating around infront of you.

The skydive was totally fantastic but I got more of a sense of falling from the three different bungys that I did in one day. And of actually making the descision to jump myself which was a big thing which you miss out on the tandem skydives, but you guys clearly get when jumping solo from the plane.

robinph wrote: »

The skydive was totally fantastic but I got more of a sense of falling from the three different bungys that I did in one day.

yep and thats were helicopter jumps / ballon jumps and base jumping come into play :p

the relative wind of the plane stops you getting that mad rush of acceleration that most people describe as a 'tummier' but on a ballon / helicopter/ building you are not moving so you get that rush

now that iv been around skydiving for a while i would argue that skydiving is more about the sport than the rush or 'carnival ride' aspect of it but i understand that its that exact rush that people try it in the first place

edit; cool video by the way, its so worth it paying the extra to get video

It was totally the rush that I was after and doing anything even slightly "crazy" that I came across on my travels. I was totally buzzing for the day after the skydive, but I've a feeling that I may have been slightly disapointed in the lack of feeling of falling if I had done the bungy first before the skydive. But the two things are different and seeing the ground rushing towards you until your only a couple of meters above it, or even touching it if they get the river one right, and falling for a minute from a couple of miles up are totally diferent sensations.

Would do them all again though if the chance comes up.

Col Vid robinph, could tell by the grin on your face it was fun.:D

Whats with this f&ckin weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

Here it is...
    First jump!

WHAAA!! good man Wimmy, was that Darren giving you the final instructions? crazy feeling going out that door hey, welldone. :)

• Advertisement

haha good job man you enjoy it?

good ole damo in the door i bet you they didnt tell you the guy dispatching was just a trainee :p

He was involved for a bit in our training on the day I was there, nice guy and sound as a pound. He does that Jedi Budwieser trick.......amazing stuff!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Good vid, last drop of the day, I would think. Long old days they were. All gone quiet at the moment what with the weather.

Advertisement