Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't identify weeds

Options
  • 22-07-2008 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone please help me identify the weeds on my site, they are purple and totally all over the place, they look nice when they flower but far far too many of them, I have searched the net for over 2 hours trying to identify them, Only can find one pic at the moment, its the purple flower looking weed in the pic attached, anyone know what it is??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Looks like you have got yourself a wild orchid there Villain, possibly the early purple Orchid (Orchis mascula).

Orchis%20mascula%202.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yea I thought it was that as the flower looks the same but the stem is differenct, is red Bartsia common in Ireland just found a pic of that and I think it might be that?

Villain wrote: »
    is red Bartsia common in Ireland just found a pic of that and I think it might be that?

Yes it's common.
    Your pic does not look like it though.
    To confirm red Bartsia has lance shaped leaves which are toothed, the plant is also slightly downy or hairy with seed capsule after flowering which is also hairy.
    The stems are also branched, yours in the pic does not look to be.

Back to the orchid.
    Look at the first image posted by the member in this post http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1475.html
    It was identified as the Early Purple Orchid.
    Very similar to yours.........

Yea my pic might have been wrong, it was one I found on the net, I'll take a pic of my site this evening and post it up, thanks for the help

Villain wrote: »
    it was one I found on the net,

Bit too much like horticultural Chinese whispers for my liking.

• Advertisement

LOL something like that, it just I searched and searched to see what it was and that pic was the one that most looked like it, but I then saw a photo of red Bartsia and it looks more like that. I notice a good bit of in ditches on the way to work this morning.

Ok so this is my site, I don't know what it is buts very very common, I saw a lot of it while driving from Carlow to Birr yesterday especially in ditches.

Anyone got an idea?

:) You were a bit off with the first pic of the thread.
    The three picture montage seems to show Sweet Rockets / Dame's Rocket, (Hesperis matronalis).
    Lovely plant.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I would reccomend you hold on to some of them they have a beautiful scent. I allow them to grow in my garden lovely flowers and after a shower of summer rain the smell is heavenly..

I wouldn't consider them weeds at all....

Advertisement