Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Email Service - push email

• 22-07-2008 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used this on their smartphone?

It's a new service from Nokia that enables you to have instant email retrieval on your phone, like a Blackberry, as opposed to the existing system where you have to manually retrieve or set an interval to retrieve.

It is just a beta for now, and doesn't support some email services yet, such as Gmail, but I've been trying to use it with o2 mail on my E51.

According to the official website the following devices are supported: the E51, E61, E61i, E65, E66, E71, E90, N73, N80, N81 8GB and the N95. However, yet I don’t know whether the N82, N95 8GB and so on are also supported.

It's free to sign up; here's the site:

http://email.nokia.com

@Mods: Apologies if there's already a thread on this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

linky no worky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marketplace2

I'd like to spam this board to con people out of their money and also because I am unsure as to my sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Gekko wrote: »
    linky no worky

It's working for me

http://email.nokia.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

juvenal wrote: »
    It's working for me

http://email.nokia.com/

+1

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Gekko wrote: »
    linky no worky
    Link does work. however, it wont work if you are with BT. Their dns servers are crapology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

Works good on N95 8GB on 3 with gmail account

Yeah, I've also got it working with o2 mail now as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have had my E65 setup for accessing my Gmail for ages with the built in messaging app, whats so different now? Just had to set my Gmail account region as being US so that I got access to the IMAP(?) server settings.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

robinph wrote: »
    Have had my E65 setup for accessing my Gmail for ages with the built in messaging app, whats so different now? Just had to set my Gmail account region as being US so that I got access to the IMAP(?) server settings.

Eh... Irish people get imap access too:rolleyes:

nazoil wrote: »
    Works good on N95 8GB on 3 with gmail account

Nazoil; does you mailbox update immediately with you phone and vice-versa?

I've deleted some message from the phone and my inbox, but they haven't synced with each other?

Dunno what I'm doing wrong, but it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the program.

• Advertisement

Nazoil; does you mailbox update immediately with you phone and vice-versa?

I've deleted some message from the phone and my inbox, but they haven't synced with each other?

Dunno what I'm doing wrong, but it kinda defeats the whole purpose of the program.

Clicking the menu brings an option to sync...? that defeats the purpose of having it though i guess

davton wrote: »
    Clicking the menu brings an option to sync...? that defeats the purpose of having it though i guess

Yeah, I've done the manual sync, yet it still has emails on the phone that I've deleted on the computer.

When the phone inbox and the "online" inbox aren't identical, then it seems pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canada J Soup

Tried this out for a week or so on my E90. Was definitely the best email client I've used on it (messages came through as quickly as on work BlackBerry). Played nicely with Gmail and the UI is much nicer than that 3rd party Symbian push email client that I can't now remember the name of. Problem was it totally killed my battery. Phone started dying at 4 or 5pm even after a full night's charging. Had to remove it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

......Played nicely with Gmail and the UI is much nicer than that 3rd party Symbian push email client that I can't now remember the name of. ......

Was it emoze by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Cunting thing won't work for me:mad:

Are you trying to set up your email account in the program?

It took me a couple of attempts; try restarting the phone. Are you going through a GPRS or Wi-Fi connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

It doesn't keep the handset and the server side in sync. If you delete on the handset you also have to delete on the server. One of the reasons why I still have my push mail from mail2web!
    Yeah, I've done the manual sync, yet it still has emails on the phone that I've deleted on the computer.

When the phone inbox and the "online" inbox aren't identical, then it seems pointless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Eh... Irish people get imap access too:rolleyes:

Didn't last year though when they first turned it on, guess I can change it back now then and possibly get the correct spell checker on my Gmail again.

robinph wrote: »
    Didn't last year though when they first turned it on, guess I can change it back now then and possibly get the correct spell checker on my Gmail again.
    No more color in your life so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Very interested in this. On a mobile and website won't load. Does it support any pop3? Is there a limit to how many accounts you can have on your phone?

• Advertisement

Yes works with pop3 that i have tried so far. The webpage didnt load properly for me on install, but just go to the apps folder and click to open it, one you dont mean it wont load before u get to even download it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

note Fring now has a plug-in for gmail email alerts. Again battery life is an issue.

elderlemon wrote: »
    It doesn't keep the handset and the server side in sync. If you delete on the handset you also have to delete on the server. One of the reasons why I still have my push mail from mail2web!

Kinda defeats the purpose of the whole thing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canada J Soup

whisht wrote: »
    Was it emoze by any chance?

That's the one. One advantage I found with Emoze was that it integrated the email inbox with the Messaging app...but I found that the Nokia push email worked a bit better / faster in terms of actually pushing messages through. Am back to using just the Messaging app with Gmail IMAP settings. I'll take having to initiate an update over having to charge my phone in the middle of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

That's odd. Emoze have not been shy about blowing their own trumpet about speed of delivery, having challenged Blackberry publically a couple of times to a "push speed test"

I upgraded the firmware on my e51 during the week, and also downloaded the new version of this.

It now has support for multiple email accounts (up to 6), and appears to me to be actually syncing with my account. Before I could delete emails from my phone, but they would still remain in my inbox. Now it looks like when I delete from the phone, they also are deleted from the inbox.

I'm still playing around with it so I'm not 100% sure, but perhaps if anyone else is using it they may be able to shed more light on it.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

This phenomenon that messages are deleted in both places is called imap,as opposed to pop mail where you have to delete in both places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I upgraded the firmware on my e51 during the week, and also downloaded the new version of this.

It now has support for multiple email accounts (up to 6), and appears to me to be actually syncing with my account. Before I could delete emails from my phone, but they would still remain in my inbox. Now it looks like when I delete from the phone, they also are deleted from the inbox.

I'm still playing around with it so I'm not 100% sure, but perhaps if anyone else is using it they may be able to shed more light on it.:confused:
    Unless it changed with the firmware version you can opt to delete from server & phone or delete from just phone in the email account settings on the phone.

Advertisement