Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juniper certification

Options
  • 22-07-2008 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Anyone here Juniper certified?.

I'm just wondering if they could give any qualification as to their difficulty of the exams as opposed to the Cisco ones?.

I'm already a CCNP for the last 5 years or so, and I'll be getting a decent amount of Juniper exposure over the next few months, but I'd like to know what I'd be letting myself in for with the Juniper exams before I start to buy the books, and do the hard grind of studying.

I'm guessing that since I already know about how most networking protocols work, I should have a decent start, but any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I havent worked with them at all but this might come in handy http://www.juniper.net/training/fasttrack/?gclid=CIjh-bzWmZECFTgrOAodGinCOw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Which certification track are you looking at? I have the JNCIA-FWV, which is a joke. You could guess at most of the questions without ever having seen a Juniper firewall. I'm planning to take the JNCIP-FWV soon, and I don't expect to have any problems (I work with Juniper firewalls regularly though), then the JNCIA-IDP.

The I know people who have passed the JNCIA-ER without ever even logging onto a Juniper router. The ER track goes all the way up to JNCIE though, which I would imagine is a different kettle of fish. I've heard on the grapevine that the firewall track will soon get a JNCIE exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I'd be interested primarily in the routing and switching tracks. If I had some time left over, I'd probably look at the firewall track after that. But to be honest, it depends on how much exposure I get to them and how difficult they are.

Like in the routing track, there's the JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER, and JNCIE-ER, which I presume is analagous to the Cisco CCNA, CCNP and CCIE. Since I've got a decent amount of exposure to the protocols already, I'd hope that I could get the JNCIS relatively easily enough, but thats why I asked the question I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'm not sure if they really correlate to the Cisco exams - I don't think they're as broad. I'd imagine the JNCIP-ER should be easy enough for you once you know the Juniper-specific commands etc (although I haven't sat a Juniper routing exam yet).

JunOS is nice to work with though - Cisco IOS feels pretty clunky when you're used to the Juniper way of things. The switching track is brand new, so I have no experience with it. I believe the switches also run JunOS.

Advertisement