Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a wasp?

Options
  • 22-07-2008 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭

Nasty, was in my mothers house today and she showed me this huge beast of a wasp! thing was about an inch long, and had a huge stinger!
    anyone seen one like this before?
    29ks3g5.jpg
    2j5j6ev.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

that's one big ass wasp....

I think it's african.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Its a wood wasp, had one here the other day as well. We where cutting MDF at the front of the house at the time. Timber seems to attract them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I seen one of those mofos before alright. I heard that they get here in imported timber and they're not actually dangerous. What looks like a huge stinger is actually for laying eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are a native Wood Wasp with no sting and harmless. The "stinger" is an ovipositor for laying eggs. Great to see them but ashame it's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

They are a native Wood Wasp with no sting and harmless. The "stinger" is an ovipositor for laying eggs. Great to see them but a shame it's dead.
    That's exactly what I thought when I looked at the pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭North&South

I went out to visit the house we're in the process of buying at the weekend & was sat in the garden with the present owners, when we saw one of these.....

So, I came home & did my research - seems that we'll be seeing more of these as there is a forest next door :)

Info here: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/insects-spiders/bug-forum/?q=node/170

Seem like nice bugs - now, that makes a change!
    julie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Holy moley :O

That is defo cool, we found one multi coloured insect/bug in work a few weeks ago in a bale of imported timber that looked deadly. I know you've all confirmed its harmless but that thing looks dead vicious...

Advertisement