Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Veggie Oil

Options
  • 23-07-2008 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

What price are you paying for your vegetable oil . I've been doing some batch samples of bio-diesel and am thinking, would I be better just to do a conversion to my car and just use PPO. It seems most chippers are tied up into contracts to dispose of their oil. Any ideas ?????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Not using veg oil, but I've seen Lidl selling it for 99c per litre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Saw on the news yesterday that Tesco have banned customers from bulk-buying vegetable oil for this very reason. It's only a matter of time before the rest of the supermarkets follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 doubledecker

Down here in co. Cork in Ballyhey, they sell PPO (pure plant oil) for 1.05 a litre. All supermarkets now are selling their cheepest oil at 99c.

Try sourcing your waste oil from nursing homes or golf clubs, and offer to drop off new oil from a wholesalers for free ( they buy the oil of you!), chippers usually have nasty messy ****e anyway.
    Send out some leaflets with the offer of free collection and see what happens.
    good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

Good idea doubledecker but I'll have to think a bit more about supplying places. Would you get the same performance out of used oil as you would new oil ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Saw on the news yesterday that Tesco have banned customers from bulk-buying vegetable oil for this very reason.
    That’s a smart move, this will still not stop customers going there several times in a week getting a three litre bottle each time. They could put this product at the back of the supermarket like the rest of the essentials so that would be tempted to buy other products when you are getting it.

Give it a short time and we will be forced into electronic rationing where bar-coding and the EFT will catch you out on buying more than your quota in all your shopping no matter where you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 philipnel

Why not get your car ECO Fuel Master Tuned look at www.ecofuelmaster.com
    They boast a 20% increase in fuel consumption, and 20% more power, also a 20% reduction in emissions. I got my car don last week it’s amassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

philipnel wrote: »
    Why not get your car ECO Fuel Master Tuned look at www.ecofuelmaster.com
    They boast a 20% increase in fuel consumption, and 20% more power, also a 20% reduction in emissions. I got my car don last week it’s amassing.

Work for them long? Your post is completely irrelevant here. :rolleyes:

To the OP and on topic, Im considering a Smart Veg conversion, but due to the excessive fueling requirements in my car I have to go for their mega expensive commercial (ie Bus) product. I will then go down the PPO route.

The 2 BioDiesel places I know are closed for weeks at a time, both of them claim they cannot source Veg Oil. I like BioDiesel, but as its made from 2 products rocketing in price (Veg Oil and Methanol) its soon going to be a loss leader to even produce yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mkem

The thing that keeps bringing me back to Bio Diesel is that I do approx. 20k miles p.a. and the missus does 15k miles p.a. in her car. If you factor in home heating oil which can be replaced by Bio D. What do you guys think ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'm starting to get seriously interested in using Bio diesel for home heating.. we're Bord Gash and they're stitching us up for another 20% in a month, followed by probably about the same in January. I'd consider throwing the lot out now in favour of a good condensing oil boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

mkem, read my post. Its soucing Veg Oil thats posing the problem! Methanol was 85c a litre when I priced it 3mths ago for 200l batches (enough for 1000L BioD) and rising like Veg Oil. With both primary components going sharply up in price, its makes it harder and harder to justify (financially). Tesco have extended its limit on bulk Oil purchases to more stores (ie all now) in Ireland last month.

You can remove the cost of the Methanol (on going) and Processor (plus ongoing water and electricity and labour costs) by switching to PPO 2-tank system in your car (Elsbett or SmartVeg), however its not as widely used as BioD and despite many positive reviews and assurances it seems a bit cutting edge still.

For me it comes down to a EUR1000 investment in a decent BioDiesel processor and the ongoing "work" of sourcing Methanol, Oil and processing it vs the once off install of 2tank Veg Oil conversion in one car (price varies, EUR800 to EUR2500) and a far, far easier time fueling it with Veg Oil only afterwords.

JHMEG, what you described crossed my mind too as well as a BioD/Veg Oil power generator (for when the ESB have their little service holidays)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Matt Simis wrote: »
    JHMEG, what you described crossed my mind too as well as a BioD/Veg Oil power generator (for when the ESB have their little service holidays)!
    I was talking to someone the other day about using old engine oil, which is ideal as it's usually free. Kero is cheaper than veg oil/biodiesel etc at the moment, so it's not feasible to change to either of them, unless it's free WVO or something. I really must do some more research.

Saw on the news yesterday that Tesco have banned customers from bulk-buying vegetable oil for this very reason. It's only a matter of time before the rest of the supermarkets follow suit.

They haven't rationed it at their branch n the Brack yet. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

They haven't rationed it at their branch n the Brack yet. :D

They know better...

Does anyone in the Brack actually drive a diesel???

They know better...

Does anyone in the Brack actually drive a diesel???
    Of course they do, all SUV's and Jeeps now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

getting few quotes for conversion to ppo on 2 tank system as i do over 700 miles a week,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Kelticknightt,

Where are you going to source your veggie in bulk.
    Have you spoken to any of the usual suppliers very recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

a friend has a source who offered

Advertisement