Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House VS God, (Episode: Human Error)

• 23-07-2008 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

Anyone catch this episode? End of season 3 I think?

In it House is baffled by a woman who suddenly comes back to life after she is taken off a life support machine. Previously and after trying everything else, the womans atheist husband had gone to the hospital chapel to pray. On seeing his wife's Lazarus like recovery he immediately looks to the heavens to thank God.
    However it materialises that the real the reason the woman almost died and was able to 'ressurect' herself was that she had an extremely rare congenital heart defect. By removing her third ostium House sees himself as undoing God's work. There's a wonderful moment when, after he is finsihed the surgery, the woman thanks God that she is still alive and House in an a brilliantly ironic gesture rolls his eyes to the heavens.

I think this brilliant little episode of house underlines precisely the nature of religous people. Even when it is clearly shown to them that life and death have nothing to with a God (at least in the (biblical) sense that they know it) they still cling to that primitve ideology in unwavering denial.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Considering this thread seems to have no real purpose I'll say this much: House is fucking awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Zillah wrote: »
    Considering this thread seems to have no real purpose I'll say this much: House is fucking awesome.

Really good episode, and there are more in the later seasons (Lucky me is current with house). In particular when one of his x-staff staff dies. I won't spoil it, watch out for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I rarely agree with Zillah, but House is indeed awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Anyone catch this episode? End of season 3 I think?

In it House is baffled by a woman who suddenly comes back to life after she is taken off a life support machine. Previously and after trying everything else, the womans atheist husband had gone to the hospital chapel to pray. On seeing his wife's Lazarus like recovery he immediately looks to the heavens to thank God.
    However it materialises that the real the reason the woman almost died and was able to 'ressurect' herself was that she had an extremely rare congenital heart defect. By removing her third ostium House sees himself as undoing God's work. There's a wonderful moment when, after he is finsihed the surgery, the woman thanks God that she is still alive and House in an a brilliantly ironic gesture rolls his eyes to the heavens.

I think this brilliant little episode of house underlines precisely the nature of religous people. Even when it is clearly shown to them that life and death have nothing to with a God (at least in the (biblical) sense that they know it) they still cling to that primitve ideology in unwavering denial.

you see clarity from that:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

you see clarity from that:confused:

Yes.

It shows that (religous) people can cling to their superstitious beliefs despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. In this case the woman has a third ostium (there from birth) and her life is only safe when medical science removes it. Now the only way a religous person can make this process compatible with their belief is to say that that was Gods plan. Now if people are content with that kind of logic so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Far be in from me to suggest this doesn't happen in real life, but I wouldn't use an episode of House as evidence it does. :)

I'm loathe to say I've never watched it!

I would've said freakin' awesome but I not going to split hairs....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

House rocks and is on Hallmark every evening at 8pm, I have tried to see every episode.

Dades wrote: »
    Far be in from me to suggest this doesn't happen in real life, but I wouldn't use an episode of House as evidence it does. :)

I'm loathe to say I've never watched it!

It's not the overall program I am using as the illustration but rather the idea contained within. Also I think just becasue it this is a primetime show doesn't mean it can't make a valid logicalal argument about the nature of belief.

Advertisement