Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good swap?

Options
  • 23-07-2008 6:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I bought a new Berlingo van last year but due to changing family circumstances, we need to now get a car. I rang 12 different garages last week and 9 of them said they wouldn't take the van as they can't sell them due to the bad situation currently being experienced in construction.

Of the 3 that said they would take the van, 2 of them offered €8500 on a trade in. I paid €14850 for it last June! I was gutted to be honest, but for a finish a Renault dealer seems fairly interested in the van.

I don't have a lot(any) money to spend so I was hoping to swop for something. He's offered me a 2005 Megane Saloon with 40,000 miles for the van - no money will change hands and he's giving me 2 year diamond cover with the deal too.

I think I'm going to take him up on the offer, but my question really is, how come nobody else would touch the van but this guy seems really keen? I suppose he could have somebody lined up for the van already? Anyboy have any thoughts on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I bought a 1 year old peugeot parter with 8k miles for €9300, a few years back. It was immaculate and that was a price I paid at a peugeot garage. Also ,there is a new model out soon that is completely different. Makes the older model worth less aswell.

Try and sell the van yourself .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Magicman1

might end up doing that alright, the thing is, i don't have a lot of time to sell it and it might take a while with the way things are at the minute. What could I honestly expect to get for it? It's black with alloys, very clean and still in warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Dealer doesnt seem to be making a lot of money out of that one. Is there anything wrong with the megan? average price from carzone from a dealer seems to be about the 14K for a 1.4 saloon with 40K miles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I would take that offer, he is giving a 2 year warranty even :D

Perhaps he just wants the van as a replacement for when someone drops one in for a service... or like you said he might have a buyer in mind.

Good offer so take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I would take the offer. My friends garage are not taking any commercial trade ins at all at the moment. The van/commercial 4X4 market is non existant

• Advertisement

Slig wrote: »
    Dealer doesnt seem to be making a lot of money out of that one. Is there anything wrong with the megan? average price from carzone from a dealer seems to be about the 14K for a 1.4 saloon with 40K miles

Nope, nothing wrong. Had a mechanic check it out for me this morning. He just got back there and told me that the car is grand. he also said the fact that they're giving me 2 years warranty is a good sign for the car.

There are lots of Megane's on carzone and cbg.ie for much less than €14k too man. From my research they seem to be anywhere from €10k to €14k. The garage had €10,950 on this particular one when i called to see it. I also saw an '05 one in the hatchback version with leather seats for €10k with only 24,000 kms on the clock, The sales lad told me €9000 would buy it.

Does anybody have experience of this make/model? good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Renault make nice cars but their resale vale is Rubbish.
    I think they are usually reliable but can suffer from electrical and computer faults.

I have had 3 renaults. I currently drive a 02 scenic which is in fact a Megane. I get the odd problem with it not starting but that is either the battery or possibly an exhaust problem (was damaged by a puddle once).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Just to let you know that the new partner is being released this month .
    http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojsnmhql

Get shot of it as quick as you can ,before there out on the road:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 03 on model Megane is one of the least reliable cars I have encountered. 2005 models are worth nowhere near €14k.

Check what the warranty covers. from my experience of Meganes, you're going to need it. you're not getting ripped off, but the dealer isn't making a mistake or doing you a favour either.

The guarantee covers everything except normal stuff like wiper blades and tyres. There's also 2 other items that it doesn't cover - the catalytic convertor and airbags - everything else is covered for 2 years and because it's a Renault guarantee I could take it to any Renault dealership to get it sorted. Hope I don't have to use the guarantee though, hope to have trouble free miles. I'm calling in there later to collect it. Hope I'm not making a mistake. Thanks for all the advice ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement