Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degenerate fails to fry egg

• 23-07-2008 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Ok guys I'm really in a bind, I'de say over the last week or two I've wasted about 4 boxes of eggs trying to get them from the fridge to my mouth via a frying pan! It's been a disaster and I have to get some info.

I've got the hang of cracking the egg (I stupidly tried my first couple directly on the edge of the frying pan which ended up in a yolky-cooker-top emergency) then I had to realise to drop them gently into the pan so as not to burst the yolky bubble (that was fun - yolk all over the the frying pan).

After a couple of boxes I got to point where I had a perfect egg resting within the confines of the frying pan so then all I had to learn was how to cook it. Now I've actually got to the cooking stage with about 6 eggs and each time the yolk NEVER gets more than very slightly warm. I tried cooking on high first which just burnt the bottom of the white but left a semi-cold yolk then I tried cooking on a lower setting for longer but even after a long time cooking the yolk still won't really heat up.

I like dipping bread into the yolk so a hot yolk is an important characteristic for any egg I eat and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice? Basically how do I do the cooking part? My cooker has 6 heat levels on the knob so what should I be doing this on?

Yours Desperately, Frustratedly and Greatfully
    Call Me Jimmy.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I use a small pan with plenty of oil. Put it on to around 3 or 4 and let the oil heat up. Put the egg in gently. If the egg starts bubbling the heat is too high. Spoon the hot oil across the top of the egg to cook the top part to thicken the yoke and heat it up, the best fried egg is one that's cooked relatively slowly.

I don't particularly like the texture of the white of a fried egg. I prefer my eggs poached, boiled or scrambled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Gotta love this ould internet! Yea I've only actually tried one or two where I cooked it slowly, all the other times it was bubbling like a mother. Maybe I just didn't leave it on long enough or something. Making sure theres some hot oil on top seems like a good idea as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I sometimes fry them one side only, then put some water in the pan which begins to boil, I then cover the pan with a plate and turn the cooker off and leave it. Then it steams the yolk and cooks it. You also get away with using very little oil.

I fry lots of things in a saucepan or wok, less oil is able to spatter out, and they have lids to trap moisture, so stuff like chicken breast stays moist steaming in its own juice, yet is still browned well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

As Mr Magnolia said - it's all about the temp of the oil. It needs to be hot enough to cook it, but not enough to make it bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

A good quality non-stick pan!! - ESSENTIAL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

The trick is to cover the top of the pan (with the lid if you have one, I use an upturned plate myself).

The build up of steam will cook the top half of the egg. Needs about 2 - 3 minutes. Perfect eggs every time :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Thats a really good idea gloobag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I use a non-stick pan with a little oil, and tilt the pan so the egg cooks in the puddle of oil made by tilting. Never have any dramas.

If you're having trouble cracking the eggs, or if you want to cook more than one and want to be sure one broken egg doesnt mess the pan up, crack them in a dish first and pour them into the pan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

you can use boilin water instead of oil. you should get a seperate pan for just eggs, really helps. amd dont wash it just kitchen towel well when its still hot. the first poster had it too a tee !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

ok.. heres my 2 cents.., dont try water, or steaming or any of that.. you wanna fry an egg, so stick with "Plan A".. , thats advanced stuff if you ask me.. (well nobody did.. but.. )

its all about timing.. , if you get this.. pancakes and omlettes will be easier too..
    What works for me is put a thin layer of oil on the pan.. , and let it heat up, how long/how hot ..well if the pan is smoking /or if you fick a drop of water in, and it spits back at you.. its too hot, so lift the pan off the heat for a bit (dunno.. 15 -30 seconds..) and turn the ring/gas temp down to about 3/4s..

now .. using your now well practiced egg cracking (I admire your persistance) , add the egg to the pan.. , if it bubbles and spits a bit.. just lift the pan off the heat again.. , till it cools down a bit.. (also turn the ring/gas heat down to about 1/2 now

My theory is, that I want to cook the underside of the egg, quickly (on a hot pan) so it forms a fried egg shape.. but then take the heat off it, so the rest of the egg cooks through slowly, and you can aim at getting the egg cooked but still gooey yoke for your soldiers..., and a little crispy underneath.

let it cook for a bit.. 1 - 2 mins.. (ya gotta watch them.. having a timer or temp guage.. no good, ya need to get a feeling for it )

You dont want to burn the underside, but you can, to speed things up on top.. with the spatchulla, flick hot oil on the yoke , and it will start to cook it..

will try and do a vid for youtube later.. will keep you posted , if its a success..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gyn2SywdmA

this seems kinda what I do .. but my pan is not so non stick. so once its sets.. you need to move it every now and then, to it dont stick..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

you can use boilin water instead of oil. you should get a seperate pan for just eggs, really helps. amd dont wash it just kitchen towel well when its still hot. the first poster had it too a tee !

Is this not poaching?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I use a tiny round frying pan.... just the size of an egg...and put plenty of oil in it.

Crack the egg into a cup.

Heat the oil

Slide the egg from the cup into a pan.

When ready to turn cover small frying pan with saucer, flip egg onto it, and slide it back onto pan. Leave for 30 seconds.

Viola... perfect eggs. The round pan is perfect also for containing the eggs and keeping their round shape (means eggs fit perfectly onto toast for fried egg sandwich).

Advertisement