Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little One has the Pox... what can we do for her?

Options
  • 23-07-2008 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Our little one (21 months) has Chicken pox. She's got a more severe case than her sister and seems quite distressed. Didn't get much sleep last night.

What can we do for her? What's best in peoples' opinions at soothing the itching?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You may want to alter the title, Di11on. I lolled.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

camomile lotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

stovelid wrote: »
    You may want to alter the title, Di11on. I lolled.

:D

LOL... and so did I... didn't see that meaning at first!

Anyway.. if it gets people into the thread offerring constructive advice, it can't be that bad... can it?

:-)

loyatemu wrote: »
    camomile lotion.

Thanks loyatemu.

It's distressing seeing her in such discomfort. It's mad, our older child had a handful of spots and didn't seem to itch at all. But babs is really covered... eye lids, ears... everywhere.

At least it's over for them I suppose - I had it when I was 20. Nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

di11on wrote: »
    LOL... and so did I... didn't see that meaning at first!

What was the original title?

loyatemu: Do you mean calomine lotion? I'm not being a twat. They are two different things. If you meant camomile, then I'll add calomine to the mix di11on. :) Very soothing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Khannie wrote: »
    What was the original title?

'The pox' was an old way of referring to syphilis, and a general catch-all phrase for STI for Dublin kids of a certain age.
    Khannie wrote: »
    loyatemu: Do you mean calomine lotion? I'm not being a twat. They are two different things.

I think mum used calamine lotion on us when were kids. Read camomile as calamine first. doh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

We found 2 things good.
    1) Either make a paste of water and bread soda and cover spots with it or run a bath and put a few spoons of it in, swirl it about and get your daughter to lie in it for a while making sure that all areas get a wetting. When getting out, try let as much dry in as possible without her getting cold.
    2) A bit off of the wall when I heard it but we tried it and it did work. Thats putting porridge oats in the bath (not cooked). Follow the same instructions as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

my 2 boys just went through it recently as well. our eldest had a very mild case but our youngest, who was six months at the time had it really bad. All you can do to help is give them lots of TLC. Calamine unfortunately has next to no effect whatsoever in relieving the itching and is usually given to ease the parents anxiety more than the little ones by pretending to actually do something to help. it's pretty much a placebo, and works quite well for such. I believe, if the itching is really bad, you can get your doctor to prescribe certain antihistamines. As for the post above, this also works with pharmaceutical sodium bicarbonate (which is the same thing as bread soda) mixed in a tepid bath.

thank god the pox don't last long though!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bread soda bath or a salt bath, my youngest was 20 monthswhen my two got chicken pox.
    It was the only time I used a sedative syrup but it was under drs orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Little One has the Pox... what can we do for her?
    Thread title of the day ,maybe even the month :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

We seem to be over the worst of it.. poor little thing is really covered. What a wierd virus!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TotsD

my 2 boys just went through it recently as well. our eldest had a very mild case but our youngest, who was six months at the time had it really bad. All you can do to help is give them lots of TLC. Calamine unfortunately has next to no effect whatsoever in relieving the itching and is usually given to ease the parents anxiety more than the little ones by pretending to actually do something to help. it's pretty much a placebo, and works quite well for such. I believe, if the itching is really bad, you can get your doctor to prescribe certain antihistamines. As for the post above, this also works with pharmaceutical sodium bicarbonate (which is the same thing as bread soda) mixed in a tepid bath.

thank god the pox don't last long though!!!:D

Hi how long did it take the baby to get them after the older child. My son got them 4 days ago again very mild thank god. Still no sigh of my 10month gettin them yet. Was thinking he wont now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

TotsD wrote: »
    Hi how long did it take the baby 2get dem after the older child. My son got dem 4 days ago again very mild thank god. Still no sigh of my 10month gettin dem yet. Was thinking he wont now

i'd be incredibly surprised if he didn't. incubation period is more or less 2 to 3 weeks, and is at its most contagious before the spots even appear. Ours was a soon as the elder one started feeling normal again and the spots drying up, bang the smaller one started showing spots. very tiring, but at least it's over and done with!

Yeah - took about 2 weeks for the 2nd to show signs... and your 10 month old WILL get it... I hope it's a mild dose!

It's good that they get it young... I got it when I was 20 and believe me, you wouldn't wish that on anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TotsD

So he will get them?:( But yes it is better to get them out of the way.
    Hopefully when he does get them the won't be too bad like the 1st one.
    Just the spots and itching no illness of any sort. Seems to be all better still a few spots drying up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

TotsD please refrain from using text speak please as it makes the posts very hard to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lor1

Aveeno have a great bath wash and moisturiser, you can get it over the counter in chemists, it's oatmeal based, my doc recommended it for my 2 when they had they chicken pox. You might want to get child checked out as well by doc just in case, cos my son (18mths) got an ear infection when he got them, and my daughter (4) got tonsilitis and an ear infection at the same time. Somebody also recommended no baths just showers - just a tip passed on to me, don't know if it works

Good luck!!

Advertisement