Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to Teach Democracy To Children

Options
  • 23-07-2008 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

The recent Lisbon Treaty referendum and the subsequent talk of a second one has caused heated debates from every side about what is and isn't democratic. Some people say the Irish have spoken and that a referendum is the unalterable (except by subsequent ones) will of the people, while others say parliaments are equally valid as they are directly elected.

Some countries, like Ireland, can only change the constitution by referenda; others, like France, can change it with a 3/5's majority in the elected houses; in America, referenda are not legal and constitutional amendments are only made at the request of 2/3s of both the House of Representatives and the Senate, and with the approval of 3/4 of the states (population is not taken into account).

To say France and the US are less democratic than Ireland would be a cheek, but this seems to be what many people are suggesting by holding referenda in such high regard. Switzerland, with its unusual system of direct democracy, has local referenda on issues ranging from how to refurbish the town square to who to grant citizenship to. This may seem to be the ultimate form of democracy at first glance, but some ask the question "is it too much democracy?"

One argument against direct democracy goes that people will always vote in their own interests, which are often at odds with those of others, whereas elected politicians must keep everyone's interests in mind and therefore will act in a more balanced way. Another is that politicians are more qualified to run the country than the citizens, as they tend to be highly educated (often in critical fields like fianace and law) and of above average intelligence and ability.

I'm neither qualified nor inclined right now to pronounce which is the best form of democracy, but I think it is very important that we all understand the workings of not just our own, but other nations' versions of the west's most cherished principle. Perhaps most important of all is teaching people that majoritarian rule (like the Afghan "democracy") is not freedom.

We should educate children about democracy when they are in school, and it should be done every week for the full 6 years of second-level, and it should be done with academic standards and without any form of dumbing down. It should be an extensive and varied study of all forms of democracy with specific looks at democratic theory and the importance of checks and balances (I was horrified to see some calling for former Justice Minister Michael McDowell to interfere with the courts.). The current CSPE course is grossly insufficient; all it does is mention a few small parts of the Irish state. It leaves teenagers with very little actual knowledge of democracy and what it means to live in a free society.

I lived in California for one year in the mid ninties, and in the primary school there I remember we learned about democracy all the time. We played games and held mock elections. This was at primary level. In my Irish primary school, instead of this kind of positive learning we were taught about submission to authority, mostly in the guise of a good Catholic upbringing.

I certainly know what I'll be teaching my children, and I hope by the time I have them the state will be teaching the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Being in favour of greater education (in whatever area) is not particularly controversial. You will not find many disagreeing with that, but I suspect you are using the call for greater education to imply that those who hold certain views that you disagree with are ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

It would be hard to find someone who disagrees that more education in schools is good; add democracy and it sounds even shinier.

My disagreement with the general 'education' position is that I don't consider democracy to be information that can be transmitted in a standard pedagogic manner; especially if its how I remember the Irish education system (informational bulimia, forcefeed and vomit) and my memory of Civics class. Given that my experience of the Irish education system near killed any curiousity or love of any subject, having intensive tests on democratic theory seems more likely to result in a turn-off.

An ounce of practice is worth a ton of theory would be my opinion. Extending democratic practices to more of our world than an occasional referendum or choice of representative, at a close enough level that choices are relevant and affect one, I believe would accomplish more in integrating people into the democratic system, and educating us all in the way in which we learn best; when the subject matters to us. An education model on these lines are Democratic Schools. The few people I know who had an experience like this generally seem to have a much more optimistic view of the possibilities of social change than most folks I know, including myself, and consequently are more informed and crucially, act on their principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Being in favour of greater education (in whatever area) is not particularly controversial. You will not find many disagreeing with that, but I suspect you are using the call for greater education to imply that those who hold certain views that you disagree with are ignorant.

Education about our political system and its process and how it is interlinked does not necessarily assume that it is an attempt to produce a generation eager to vote as they are told. What it can do, in my view, is inform us a little more and hopefully enable us to understand the consequences of exercising those rights. A further aspect of this (aspirational at best) is that it may also be a way to encourage a greater level of participation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

whereas elected politicians must keep everyone's interests in mind and therefore will act in a more balanced way. Another is that politicians are more qualified to run the country than the citizens, as they tend to be highly educated (often in critical fields like fianace and law) and of above average intelligence and ability.

Surely you're taking the piss with that one.

Sure they are, just look at Lisbon!
    Time for a little class analysis maybe?

I'm sure a world run by lawyers and investment bankers would be a great place to live...oh, wait... >.<

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

theozster wrote: »
    One argument against direct democracy goes that people will always vote in their own interests,

You would hardly expect them to vote against their interests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Why not also teach children the runnings of alternative systems?

Sure if its a democracy, shouldnt we be able to learn about all political ideologies and systems?

Who says democracy is the best system? To me its a fallacy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I disagree with the op i would like to see hard line marxism taught to kids from a young age.Get them while they are young and malleable i say.

Give me a child before the age of 12, as the Jesuits and Goebbels used say? :rolleyes:

Advertisement