Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer guts and unfair permanent bans.

Options
  • 23-07-2008 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

Pigheads about to embark on his very first ever Feedback thread. Didn't want to come down this dark dangerous road where smart arses and cats lie ready to pounce behind every turn and corner but after a marathon week of PM'ing the BGRH Mods, unfortunately no resolution was reached and therefore it has come to this.

The Charge:
    PIGHEAD BANNED FOR PERSISTENT TROLLING AND NOT CONTRIBUTING ANYTHING TO THE FORUM.

The Sentence:
    LIFE

The Plea:
    NOT GUILTY

Ok, Pigheads going to give a brief timeline of events that have led up to this dark and dastardly chain of events and then he's going to do a bit of work.

Mid-Late 2007:
    Pighead is banned by Robbo for persistent trolling. Robbo hits Pighead with an unprecedended 3 month ban which Pighead thinks is overly harsh but he accepts it.
    After 3 months Pighead PM's Robbo asking can he be reinstated. Robbo hmms and haws and eventually decides to put up a poll in BGRH asking the brethern to decide.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055186125

The motion is carried and Pighead is allowed back in. Tellingly one of the most respected, sexy and adored members of boards has this to say on the whole banning issue.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54462659&postcount=22

So then things are going swimmingly for a while. Pigheads starting some threads in BGRH, having banter with members in the imaginary bar until one day just before Christmas BOOM.

Pighead walks into the imaginary bar, sees patrickc sitting down on an imaginary stool and orders him a "pint of rats piss" from the imaginary barmaid. A pint of rats piss being slang for Harp back in Dundalk. Before you can say misunderstanding over a local colloquiasm Tom Dunne has banned Pighead and Christmas is ruined.

Tom Dunne says ban is for a week and to PM him when the week is up. Pighead does so. A few months down the line Tom Dunne decides to ask the brethern once more if Pighead should be allowed post in the forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055276887

The masses agree that since he doesn't really post much in BGRH anyway then whats the harm in letting him stay. The above poll says that Pighead shouldn't be allowed to post in BGRH but the results were edited by Mr Dunne which Pighead is sure he will verify. Actual results said: Let him stay.

Things are going well once more and Pighead feels accepted and word on the street is he will soon be made a Senior Brother. Then disaster. Thaedydldydl is made BGRH Mod. Pighead is uneasy about this appointment and respectfully voices his concerns.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55888306&postcount=32

The atmosphere has changed and Pighead senses a concerted Mod effort to oust him from the forum. Everything he says is construed as trolling, even the non trolly stuff!

The following exchange illustrates Pigheads frustration at what he considered a mob mentality attitude from the Mods.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55688848&postcount=33

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55688888&postcount=35

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55689046&postcount=38

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55689069&postcount=40

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55689156&postcount=43

Then 2 weeks ago whilst in the bar the following exchange took place.
    Morning
    Pighead wrote:
    In Ireland we say "Good Morning" delija. Over here if a person opens a conversation without the Good and just says "Morning" it means he's had a terrible night and is in a horrible mood because he didn't make love with a beautiful lady the previous evening.

Anyway, good morning.
    DES wrote:
    Good Morning.:D
    Pighead wrote:
    Pint of sudacream over here barman for Mr Loverman DesF. His cocks red raw this morning.
    /Thaed watches Pighead do something so stupid after eating those slops that he gets banned.

A bit of banter between three lads which you would find in almost any pub around the country. Des was saying he got very lucky last night, Pighead asked for some sudocream for him with a nod and a wink. Thaed comes storming in like a bull in a china stop and throws Pighead out for his lewd comments.

It was akin to a group of lads going on a stag do and getting thrown out of a lapdancing club by the bouncer for looking at the girls boobies. Shocking stuff. Thaed may be a cracking PI mod but BGRH? No way Jose

And thats where we are now. PM'd Thaed 10 days later asking when ban would be lifted. She replied "The matter is currently being discussed between the BGRH mods and one of us will get back to you, eventually."

The next day Pighead logged in and was greeted with this bombshell from Tom Dunne:
    Dear Mr. Porky,

thank you for your recent application to have your ban from BGRH lifted.

As you may be aware, we get quite a number of such applications each week and treat each one with the respect it deserves. Having considered yours carefully, we feel your humour and general conversational abilities do not match our requirements at this time. We will therefore not be lifting your ban.

We wish to thank you for your interest in BGRH and wish you all the best in your trolling endeavors across Bords.ie.

Sincerely,

Tom Dunne.
    Proprietor, Yore Ma's

The ban was forever, til the end of time, ad infinitum, PERMANENTLY.

So thats Pigheads case for the defence. Pighead admits that a permanent ban does seem fair seeing as three bans were issued to him but he is questioning the validity of at least two of those bans and therefore feels a lifetime ban is way over the top.

Yours Pighead.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Pighead wrote: »
    Robbo hmms and haws and eventually decides to put up a poll in BGRH asking the brethern to decide.
    A few months down the line Tom Dunne decides to ask the brethern once more if Pighead should be allowed post in the forum.

Looks like the mods are leaving the modding to the regulars when its suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

6th wrote: »
    Looks like the mods are leaving the modding to the regulars when its suits them.

they are in their arse. I think it is more the fact that pighead is banned so often from the forum that it is just a running joke in BGRH, however it seems like the joke has now finally ended.

I am a bit sad by it though as I will miss pighead in the bar and have just gotten use to him coming back every couple of months and being banned soon after:D

feck it sig updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Shouldn't have posted the pm without permission piggy. TD won't like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

their loss, pighead. this reminds tbh of the time when young derek got a pool table for his 15th birthday. He was never the most popular lad in the school, but when word got round of his pool table, damn if the queue of people wanting to be his mate wasn't a mile long. Derek had a system in his house where he played every game, winner or not. Problem was, he was crap. People started arguing for a winner stays on policy, which meant that derek would never get a game. So instead, he just stopped allowing people play on his table. This reminds tbh of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

May the force be with you Pighead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

watna wrote: »
    Ah c'mon watna thats a bit of a rubbish rule surely? The PM is a crucial piece of evidence in Pigheads case to get the ban overturned.

It's a bit like a stab victim bringing in the evil stabbers knife into the local guard station and the guard saying "tut tut Pighead, that knife doesn't belong to you son, now be a good lad and give it back to the evil stabber"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The exchanges with delija_sever029 and Des look harmless to me. Just 3 lads having a bit of craic. Why intervene in that unless one of the 3 complains ?

jsb wrote: »
    they are in their arse. I think it is more the fact that pighead is banned so often from the forum that it is just a running joke in BGRH, however it seems like the joke has now finally ended.

But did they not start letting the masses decide from the time of his very first ban?

tbh wrote: »
    their loss, pighead. this reminds tbh of the time when young derek got a pool table for his 15th birthday. He was never the most popular lad in the school, but when word got round of his pool table, damn if the queue of people wanting to be his mate wasn't a mile long. Derek had a system in his house where he played every game, winner or not. Problem was, he was crap. People started arguing for a winner stays on policy, which meant that derek would never get a game. So instead, he just stopped allowing people play on his table. This reminds tbh of that.

Best ever post in the style of piggy.

watna wrote: »

Posts made within a mod capacity should be fine to post publically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Wouldn't worry too much.

Plenty of other forums for you to root in.

Ah c'mon watna thats a bit of a rubbish rule surely? The PM is a crucial piece of evidence in Pigheads case to get the ban overturned.

It's a bit like a stab victim bringing in the evil stabbers knife into the local guard station and the guard saying "tut tut Pighead, that knife doesn't belong to you son, now be a good lad and give it back to the evil stabber"

ok, After listening to the arguments for the defence I'm going to allow this piece of PM evidence.

Proceed

Judge Watna.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Seems a bit harsh alright.
    I wonder did DesF or anyone else report the post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus thinks this is a very unfair turn of events, and that putting up a poll on whether or not a user is allowed back into a forum is a complete miscarriage of justice, as is the denial of access based on a user's sense of humour.

If Karl was you Pighead, he'd extend the following sentiments to the overzealous, overpayed and underworked moderators:

castanza7.jpg

But did they not start letting the masses decide from the time of his very first ban?

or may they had already made their decision that they were letting him back in already, but just put up a thread for the laugh.

However in certain circumstances what is wrong listening to the views of the forum members to see how a forum should progress, surely that is a more democratic way of doing things. Especially in a case like this where the mods know he is just going to go out and get himself rebanned at the first oppurtunity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think Thaedydal has demonstrated a complete lack of awareness-as-to-wtf-is-going-on. I'm beginning to think someone without a sense of humour shouldn't be modding a forum that is essentially about taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Looks like bullshit to me. What the hell did you get 3 months for? And the one with delija and Des is laughable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Tellingly one of the most respected, sexy and adored members of boards has this to say on the whole banning issue.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54462659&postcount=22

Flattery will get you no where Piggie.
    Pighead walks into the imaginary bar, sees patrickc sitting down on an imaginary stool and orders him a "pint of rats piss" from the imaginary barmaid. A pint of rats piss being slang for Harp back in Dundalk. Before you can say misunderstanding over a local colloquiasm Tom Dunne has banned Pighead and Christmas is ruined.
    Des was saying he got very lucky last night, Pighead asked for some sudocream for him with a nod and a wink. Thaed comes storming in like a bull in a china stop and throws Pighead out for his lewd comments.

Piggie you couldn't possibly have been banned for the above two comments.
    There has to be more to it that you are leaving out...?

As for holding polls to decide on whither to let you back in or not, I don't agree with that.
    Polls in a private forum is normal and understandable.
    Polls in an open forum are a no no imo and the decision should be down to the mods of that forum.

Now your comments would obviously get you banned from PI, but BG&RH is meant to be nothing more than light banter, so I do have to wonder if there is more to it than you are saying.

In saying that, the normal proceedure is three strikes and you're out. Forever.

btw
    You made a mistake posting up a private PM without Tom's approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I fully support this product/service/fight against the man

Beruthiel wrote: »

You made a mistake posting up a private PM without Tom's approval.

Ha... I knew it was a no no. In your face 6th! :)

However, In my impartial judge role did judge that it was admissable so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The ban(s) seem unfair as do the sentences dished out. Not sure why you want back in though.
    If Karl was you Pighead, he'd extend the following sentiments to the overzealous, overpayed and underworked moderators:

Oh yea? Well I just slept with your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Understood. You ravishing little minx.

Piggie you couldn't possibly have been banned for the above two comments.
    There has to be more to it that you are leaving out...?
    It's true. Pighead wouldn't lie to you of all people. Maybe they were straws that broke the camels back or something but Pighead got banned for the above two comments by Tom Dunne and Thaedydldydl resepectively.

Now run away with Pighead and lets leave this whole sorry mess behind.

Ah Judge Watna, I said they should be fine, not that they are ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It's true. Pighead wouldn't lie to you of all people. Maybe they were straws that broke the camels back or something but Pighead got banned for the above two comments by Tom Dunne and Thaedydldydl resepectively.

Well, I find that difficult to believe.
    Now, I don't wish to call you a liar straight out, so I'll just wait for Tom and Thaed to come along and explain their side before saying anything else on the subject.
    Now run away with Pighead and lets leave this whole sorry mess behind.

As soon as hell freezes over, I'm there.

Ah Judge Watna, I said they should be fine, not that they are ;)

I see. Ill allow it. Good lawyering actually 6th.. you're a regular lionel hutz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

All humour aside, I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of mods putting a user's fate to a public vote, regardless of whether Pighead is actually banned for more serious offenses which he isn't being forward about.

If the mods in question are either not bothered to come to a decision themselves, or simply want to put it to a vote in order to absolve themselves of the responsibility of making the ban permanant, it's something that simply should not happen. Maybe it was in the hope that Pighead would've rubbed enough people the wrong way and could somehow justify a permanent ban? I really, really don't like the idea of moderators here doing that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

You know what, a well put together, well presented feedback post with the links, the story and everything makes me want him unbanned.
    I know hes a cúnt of the highest order (takes one to know one)
    But having a poll in the forum where users decide if they want him back or not is unfair.
    Pighead trolls like mad, but he does stay within the rules.
    Its inconsistent if the mods are starting threads like this or banning him outside of the well-defined boards.ie rules or structure of banning.

I'm not a fight the power type, and while I do believe in moderator "soladarity", the site moderators are still people. Many of them are díckheads(again, takes...) and many of them make bad choices. Don't be afraid to go back on it. I know the whole "internet avatar/persona" thing will lose some face, but so what. Be a person. :)

Also please, leave out the hilarious pictures of other peoples jokes in your well though out replies guys, they're not really funny. Just a measure of how poor your own sense of humour is that you have to use someone elses to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If I could thank you I would. You brought a tear to my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

cornbb wrote: »
    I think Thaedydal has demonstrated a complete lack of awareness-as-to-wtf-is-going-on. I'm beginning to think someone without a sense of humour shouldn't be modding a forum that is essentially about taking the piss.

Well said !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

If the mods in question are either not bothered to come to a decision themselves
    They're just too lazy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement