Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer guts and unfair permanent bans.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

trout wrote: »
    Have you read the thread in the Mod forum ?

No, that is not the case. Again, I urge you to read the thread in the Mod forum.

I see no thread.

Can someone direct me to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kmart6 wrote: »
    Maybe everyone should get to see ''the full facts'' as you put it to see what all this is about! Otherwise this thread isn't going to go anywhere!
    It's non of "everyone's" business.

It's between Pighead, the BGRH Mods, and if the Cmod, Smods and Admin see fit to intervene.

End Of.
    By alluding to the mod forum as a reference you are not helping the case of clique's and mod conspiracy's.

That may be so.

But it would be remiss of anyone other than the Admin to reproduce the contents of the mod forum.

So therefore, it ain't gonna happen, people need to get over that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Des wrote: »
    It's non of "everyone's" business.

It's between Pighead, the BGRH Mods, and if the Cmod, Smods and Admin see fit to intervene.

End Of.

From the Charter

This is the forum where all users are equal except for the 5 admins:
    Vexorg, DeVore, Regi, Ecksor and Cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

GuanYin wrote: »
    I see no thread.

Go to the Mod forum.
    Click on 'Search this Forum'.
    Search for 'Biased Moderation?'
    Second hit.

Bring popcorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I see no thread.

search for "biased moderation" in the mods forum.

I saw nothing too bad in it, but A) I have a high tolerance level for that stuff and B) I'm ill at the mo, so might have missed something

• Advertisement

tallaght01 wrote: »

I saw nothing too bad in it, but A) I have a high tolerance level for that stuff and B) I'm ill at the mo, so might have missed something

In fairness, I think every other mod who read that thread and responded here today has independently come to the opposite conclusion.

Read it again. I think you did miss something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Pighead wrote: »
    Is retrospective banning allowed? Surely the initial offence would have to be noted and the reason for the banning explained to the banned person. You are basically saying that it's ok to pick a random post from a poster and ban him/her for it because of past transgressions which haven't been made public.Maxi was right. It's a farce.

Nice Pighead. Very Nice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I read and contributed to the mod forum "Pighead" thread way back. I recall saying that I didn't agree with his ban back then and I don't agree with the current perma-ban now either.

This is much bigger than Pighead tbh. There have been very few Pighead posts reported in the past while and I remember one in particular where the mod infracted Pighead for a comment and most mods in the discussion disagreed with that decision.

Sorry BGRH mods but I see this as you guys having the knives out for Pighead. I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees it this way.

Nothing against Tom Dunne or trout tbh, I just think there has been a travesty of justice here (well, not quite but I don't think a perm-ban is on).

Also, Des, you don't agree that Feedback was the right place to do this?* Why oh why then do most mods direct people to Feedback then when there is a problem? We need to sort this out.

*BTW, you're right. CMod, SMod or Helpdesk are better.

PLEASE NOTE: The above is only my opinion, I'm happy to be told I'm wrong (cue, a slew of "You're Wrong! :mad:" posts :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I think a time for reflection would be good. seems to have been alot of hairs split over the last few hundred posts. The issue has escalated to more than what pighead was first raising No one wants to lose face over this whole affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Go to the Mod forum.
    Click on 'Search this Forum'.
    Search for 'Biased Moderation?'
    Second hit.

Bring popcorn.

Can you put the earliest step in for a new mod please?

Where is the forum?

• Advertisement

tallaght01 wrote: »

Right, I read that thread. My conclusion is (and taking into account some of the BGRH posts were deleted) that I saw nothing there to suggest PH deserves a permban.

In fact, it mirrors this thread significantly in the reaction to your actions, unfortunately in ways I cannot go into without divulging information.

Suffice to say, I ask the question myself "Are you banning him because you don't like his posts or because you don't like him or because you think he's actually bad for the forum".

The only justifiable case is the last option and in this respect, from what I can tell, the majority of the users disagree with you. So where does that leave you. Some of your own actions with respect to Pighead are essentially trolling.

I appreciate sometimes users don't sit well with moderators, but considering how a BGRH mod described the forum recently ("depending on my mood, I let users make fun or a serious post or move it somewhere helpful") I find it hard to understand how you can ban pighead for being pighead.

Unless all the BGRH moderation is based on the moods of the moderators - which would not be a good thing.

I sympathise with feedback threads backing you into a corner, I really, really do (between OB and myself, we must have a record of some kind) but there is also a time when you need to ask "do the people have a point". Even someone as stubborn as I will do this. Maybe you guys should too.

It seems to me you've nurtured an environment that will allow Pighead to thrive and as he overwhelms the forum, you've banned him. Not good, not good at all.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I read and contributed to the mod forum "Pighead" thread way back.

Which one ?
    Nothing against Tom Dunne or trout tbh, I just think there has been a travesty of justice here (well, not quite but I don't think a perm-ban is on).

What exactly have I done that you perceive as a travesty of justice ?
    I'd really like to know. Please explain.
    *BTW, you're right. CMod, SMod or Helpdesk are better.

This is far too fractious for the players involved to solve with out impartial oversight.
    I have, on several occasions, invited such oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

but if a pisstaker is not allowed take the piss in a forum designed for pisstaking, then surely it has gone too far and changed need to be made.

Having just read this thread in its entirety the above quote sums it all up perfectly.

Pigheads posts are funny and I have never seen him/her being cruel or hurtful as suggested earlier in the thread. Links to such cruel and hurtful post should be posted if such claims are to be given credence.

Re the Pm's , I find it strange that Pighead was taken to task over publishing the contents of a PM yet the mods that had BCC'd his pms didn't see anything wrong in that. Either the P in Pm stand for Private or it doesn't irrespective of the rank of the user.

I don't frequent BGRH very often so I will not comment on it or its moderation but I do feel that holding a poll on whether to re admitt a banned user is very poor judgement on the mods behalf and smacks of bullying.

His ban for the Desf comment was harsh in the extreme especially when you consider the context in which it was made and the forum it was made on.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

In fairness, I think every other mod who read that thread and responded here today has independently come to the opposite conclusion.

Read it again. I think you did miss something.

I read it and didn't see too much wrong in there, and I remember reading it at the time too. In the post where you pasted a few quotes from pighead, the first couple were a bit close to the bone, but the rest, including the ones about Thaed weren't particularly harsh imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Ive only read half of this so far (and then only the replies from the posters I recognise) but I do have to say this:

Thaedydal you are a sham of a Mod.

Be it BGRH (which you shouldnt be allowed Mod in the first place, its a Blokes/Lads forum) or PI, your reactions are always knee-jerk and you have the worst inferiority complex Ive seen since WWM's power-buzz days circa 2005.

Pighead might sometimes get the big stick out to stir, he might sometimes have opinions that you dont agree with but its always entertaining and his thread ideas are always fun.

Reading anything from Thaedydal on Boards is the internet equivalent of listening to Father Paul Stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lmao.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Meh, some people just like throwing their weight around.

Cudgels, Bludgeons and burning effigies? Good. Out of the door, line on the left. One thread each.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Can you put the earliest step in for a new mod please?

Where is the forum?

Mod forum. You might want to subscribe ... it doesn't appear in the drop downs, for obvious reasons.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=133
    5starpool wrote: »
    I read it and didn't see too much wrong in there, and I remember reading it at the time too. In the post where you pasted a few quotes from pighead, the first couple were a bit close to the bone, but the rest, including the ones about Thaed weren't particularly harsh imo.

Other mods, as stated in this thread, have revised their opinions based on that same information, particularly with respect to the thread/poll targetted at another user.

I think we have reached an impasse ... this needs to be escalated.
    I'm getting fed up defending an action I didn't make, and the protagonist is silent.

What's next ? (and no, I don't mean LOLcats)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A dance off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mod forum. You might want to subscribe ... it doesn't appear in the drop downs, for obvious reasons.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=133

Other mods, as stated in this thread, have revised their opinions based on that same information, particularly with respect to the thread/poll targetted at another user.

I'm getting fed up defending an action I didn't make, and the protagonist is silent.

Well done trout. A mod with moderation, I salute you. I have noted also that you always referred to the OP by his username in a proper manner where mostly your fellow mods have resorted to "Piggy" "Bacon Boy" and the like. Again, kudos.

Oh, is Des a secret mod of BGRH?

• Advertisement

Are you reading the same thread or do you have most of boards.ie on ignore.

I don't see a split opinion by any means. I see a large majority disagreeing with you. Mods and users alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

takola wrote: »
    I apologise, I know it's annoying for you.
    No apologies needed :)
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    As fantastic as all that is I really, really doubt Pighead's posts are treated the same way as others. If, to use an example, Des had made the comment about the sudacream towards Pighead would he have gotten a ban? My arse he would have.
    FACT.
    Why can't he just get the regular one or two week bans like your Average Joe poster instead of this ridiculous ones that chop and change and include polls that reek of bullying?
    ...I see no reason other than people not liking him. If that doesn't define a clique, what does? :confused:
    In a forum where there seems to be a standing rule that no serious conversation is allowed and where the mod has spoken on a podcast claiming that he personally mocks and makes fun of posters who post serious threads, a user has been perm banned for trying to be funny and not being serious?
    +1
    Some of your own actions with respect to Pighead are essentially trolling.
    ...could be viewed that way alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Jaysus,

I've just read this thread from the start, do I get a prize?

I'm no mod, but I did see that thread that Tom / Trout referred to earlier. They weren't quick enough deleting it! :D I remember having a chat with Tom about it afterwards at one of the beers.

I agree with SDoom that it was nasty and aimed at a particular poster who more than likely would have taken it the wrong way. I know that people who haven't seen the thread are being asked to take it on trust that there is one, and that it was as described above. Well believe me it was.

Please don't ask me via pm what / who the thread was about because I won't say.

I've had disagreements with BGRH Mods about things in the past, but have contacted them and sorted things out without any drama. But then again I wasn't looking for any.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Of course there is, Ruthie, and you know it. :)

The two posts referenced were the proverbial straws that broke the piggy's back. The ban was for a culmination of those two posts and prior posts. There are also threads, one of which springs to mind is the disparaging one on a certain DJ. Yes, it was all lovingly wrapped up in "Ah, sure DJ is a nice guy, but I think he is xyz" (if I recall, the word "lovely" was used on more that several occasions in the opening post of that thread). But I know for a fact if the target of that thread had seen it, that person would have been very upset. All for a laugh? Some people might see it that way, the target most certainly would not. Is it not my duty as a moderator to protect posters from personal attacks such as that, even if they are all dressed up in "niceness"?
    So why wasn't Pighead infracted or banned for the DJ Spider thread? Didn't hear a word from you. Not a peep. Pighead has had plenty of threads of a much nastier hue written about him over the years and they generally were either locked or sent to the Dome. That thread about Spider was a mild pisstake. Very mild.

And while we're talking about people making disparaging remarks in the forum maybe you should take a look in the mirror.

Before Pighead posts these links he'd like to make it clear that he wasn't in any way offended by any of the following posts. But this should be a two way street. These posts are no more offensive than Pigheads yet not one of them got a warning or a slap on the wrist. Oh apart from one where trout asked Tom to play nice. A warning he ignored.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55955078&postcount=47890
    Porky's standards are quite low apparently.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55945662#post55945662
    Tom doesn't approve of Pighead. Warns girls away from him.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055290612&page=3&highlight=pighead
    Relevant Posts: 32, 33, 34, 38, 40

When the BGRH voted that Pighead should be allowed in(A poll he started by the way), Tom posted this snide comment.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55688528#post55688528

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55178754#post55178754
    More snide unprovoked comments from Tom. Almost like he was looking for a reaction some what say.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55794233#post55794233
    Will calls Pighead a grande idiote.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55689038#post55689038
    DJ Spider calls Pighead obnoxious. Not the first unprovoked dig Mr Spider has had.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55688848&postcount=33
    Agent Smith tells Pighead to STFU. Pighead retaliates. trout warns Pighead, nothing said to Agent Smith.

Accusations of being a troll:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055276856

Tongue in cheek thread was locked and Tom commented thus. OTT?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55689331#post55689331

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055235739&highlight=pighead
    Pighead asks a seemingly innocent question about Beer Guts IN THE BEER GUTS forum and gets accused by more than one person of trolling. Pighead thought he had taken a wrong turn and ended up in the weight watchers forum from the reactions. What happened to the whole lighthearted ethos?

Oh and not to mention the thread where a poster asked people to post appropriate clothing for BGRHers. Pighead posted up a fat person wearing fat pants. Robbo warned him that he would be banned if he pulled anything like that again. That was one of the deleted comments actually.

Basically Pighead is wondering if BGRH are operating a "Slagging Pighead is fair game" policy. Judging by the lack of warnings for other members for comments of the same level as Pigheads apparent trolly comments it would seem that they are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Jaysus,

I've just read this thread from the start, do I get a prize?

I'm no mod, but I did see that thread that Tom / Trout referred to earlier. They weren't quick enough deleting it! :D I remember having a chat with Tom about it afterwards at one of the beers.

I agree with SDoom that it was nasty and aimed at a particular poster who more than likely would have taken it the wrong way. I know that people who haven't seen the thread are being asked to take it on trust that there is one, and that it was as described above. Well believe me it was.

Please don't ask me via pm what / who the thread was about because I won't say.

I've had disagreements with BGRH Mods about things in the past, but have contacted them and sorted things out without any drama. But then again I wasn't looking for any.

Just a guess but perhaps the mods who don't see anything wrong in that thread were not aware this poster would react badly. If Pighead was aware of that- and we can't verify that or not, because we can't post it here- then it's a rather clear case cut of trolling.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Kicking ass pighead.
    And taking names too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Kicking ass pighead.
    And taking names too.

and keeping up the whole 3rd person thing too! respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

SDooM wrote: »
    Just a guess but perhaps the mods who don't see anything wrong in that thread were not aware this poster would react badly. If Pighead was aware of that- and we can't verify that or not, because we can't post it here- then it's a rather clear case cut of trolling.

Could be.

But I think naming the individual in the thread isn't on at all. Especially in the light of both your post and mine.

Suffice to say, I ask the question myself

"Are you banning him because you don't like his posts"
    or
    "because you don't like him"
    or
    "because you think he's actually bad for the forum".
    Pighead wrote: »
    Before Pighead posts these links he'd like to make it clear that he wasn't in any way offended by any of the following posts. But this should be a two way street. These posts are no more offensive than Pigheads yet not one of them got a warning or a slap on the wrist. Oh apart from one where trout asked Tom to play nice. A warning he ignored.

That is particularly damning if you ask me and I think that it answers my question above.

I have no particular like or dislike fo Pighead, he posts in soccer and follows the rules, because the rules are clear.

Personally, I'd like to see the BGRH mods justify their actions in quite a few of those cases, I don't see that happening however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SDooM wrote: »

If the said thread was so hurtful it should have been acted on immediately. To retrospectively cite that as reason for a later ban doesn't ring true to me.

How old is the thread being referred to here by the mods?

Pigheads links above indicate that personalities are at play with his harsh treatment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement