Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer guts and unfair permanent bans.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

takola wrote: »
    Can I have access to mancore?

We can ignore the fact that I'm a woman! :D

There is beancore(irish spelling) for women pm me an application and I shall see if you are worthy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

SteveC wrote: »
    then give him his own forum so we could all come and pet him and learn to speak in the third person.

He could open his own bar, dispense advice on all things piggy, ban anyone whose sense of humour does not live up to the charter, the possibilities are endless.
    Lol, could actually be funny!

I have to say I enjoy Pighead most of the time, but I agree with the poster who likened him to Guinness ... he's an acquired taste, and can be a bit strong for some people.
    I wouldn't call BGRH unwelcoming, just the number of in-jokes makes it difficult to catch up sometimes. I think they do try hard to be welcoming, but it's a tough job on a popular forum where in-jokes are part of the whole social scene.
    I think this is fair comment, tbh. I don't post that often on BGRH, but I drop in occasionally ... I have never found it anything but welcoming, but I agree that one can feel a little lost at first if not a regular.

I suspect this is true of a lot of forums, however, especially the more light-hearted community-type forums. The truth is that this is one of the cases where the internet reflects real life.

In such cases, banning the in-jokes etc. is hardly a solution.

New posters need to take their time, and get to know a new forum ... sometimes people are too impatient.

On the other hand, some kind of a "welcome" thread for new posters to say hello can be good, especially if the mods and a few regulars take the time to interact.
    SDooM wrote: »
    Perhaps you shouldn't rib posters who you don't know all that well then, in case this happens again.
    Very good advice, tbh.

My own sense of humour can be robust, and I enjoy a bit of pish-taking. I certainly am not a malicious person, however, and would never want people to take my leg-pulling to heart.

I therefore make a point of slagging people who I either know in RL, or who have a history of having an equally robust sense of humour on these boards themselves, and who I know won't take either themselves or me too seriously ... people like Tar.A, The_Rigger, Challengemaster, Mirror, tallaght01, faceman, RHG, Blue, nerin, orestes, Rozabeez, etc., etc. I am usually a bit more cautious with people I'm not familiar with.

The truth is that it is nearly impossible to define "the line" because the line is different for everyone. It's fine to say "it's the internet, ffs suck it up and don't take it seriously" ... and at one level I agree ... but at another level some people have very thick skins and some people don't, and I'd prefer to err on the side of caution until I'm sure.

On the general thread topic ... I find myself having some sympathy with both sides, tbh! I iz conflicted!! :(

Pighead ... one question. Why do you actually want back in BGRH?

As I said, I have a robust sense of humour myself at times, but tbh, if I felt it wasn't fitting in a forum or was raising hackles, I just wouldn't want to post there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was conflicted too. But I now feel that some of the stuff I saw in the moderators forum did warrant a permanent ban if not the particular posts which actually got the ban.

Also it is clear that Pighead and the BGRH mods are beyond reconciliation, so a perm ban is probably the best solution to all of this. I see no benefit to its being lifted now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

fits wrote: »
    Also it is clear that Pighead and the BGRH mods are beyond reconciliation, so a perm ban is probably the best solution to all of this. I see no benefit to its being lifted now.
    If a moderator cannot mod without bias, they should step aside and allow someone who can take their place.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

fits wrote: »
    I was conflicted too. But I now feel that some of the stuff I saw in the moderators forum did warrant a permanent ban if not the particular posts which actually got the ban.

Yeah! Get down from your high....
    Oh wait.
    Never mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

GuanYin wrote: »
    If a moderator cannot mod without bias, they should step aside and allow someone who can take their place.

I agree.

But when it is three or four mods and a history has accumulated *shrugs shoulders*. I can see how this has developed over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

GuanYin wrote: »

That applies to alot of modertors on this and other sites, yourself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Anti wrote: »
    That applies to alot of modertors on this and other sites, yourself included.

And yourself ... and "others" ;)

Indeed, I'm aware that I could be accused of bias, which is why I ask my co-mods to step in or I step back if I feel I lose clear sight. The PRC is an example. I've overturned or shortened my own bans in light of feedback threads. I'm not saying I get it right all the time, but I'll listen to reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Forgive me if I'm slow or inept at accumulating the evidence so far.

We have sekrit info from the Mod forum where some of Pighead's posts can be discussed, but we as reg users cannot see these. We are told that these form part of the reason for the User's banning.

Fair enough.

We are also told that the permanent ban issued to Pighead is based on this evidence AND the initial comments he made as described in his initial posts on this thread.

Based on the evidence we cannot see, I'm inclined to agree with the Moderators as I don't think they're covering up anything and other moderators have agreed as to the seriousness of the posts they can read about. Based on Pighead's initial posts, however, I do not see sufficient reason to have banned him in the most recent instance.

Thus I would feel that the overall permanent ban resulting from this is a mistake and should be rectified immediately. This does mean that Pighead is looking at one more strike before he is perma-banned again.

Did I get it all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Agreed. Its nice to see mods open to this :) I would thank you, but im all out :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

r3nu4l wrote: »
    ...and yet everytime there has been a poll asking if he should be allowed in , the answer is a resounding YES...Pighead is no Lisbon treaty. The vast majority of people want him posting in BGRH! :) It seems that the mods don't want him, not the majority of posters.

The mods are the ones who have to mod him though not the majority of posters. If he's proving to be a big pain in the ass for them I can see why they'd want the perm-ban.

Don't get me wrong, I like pighead. I will always stop at his posts on a thread to read them and will nearly always move on smiling but in this case if he can't learn to play nice then he shouldn't play at all.

IMO, Of course.
    There is beancore(irish spelling) for women pm me an application and I shall see if you are worthy

I'll need more information before I apply. PM with details! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

takola wrote: »
    The mods are the ones who have to mod him though not the majority of posters. If he's proving to be a big pain in the ass for them I can see why they'd want the perm-ban.

Very well put - the normal user rarely gets to see stuff that is deleted and as such is only seeing one side of the story.

This creates bias and favour for the posts that are allowed to remain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Maybe we could balance out the aparrent bias by making Pighead a mod of After Hours. Considering how popular he is with the posters there it would probably be popular and he would be a mod who would be familiar with the whole essence of AH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Maybe we could balance out the aparrent bias by making Pighead a mod of After Hours. Considering how popular he is with the posters there it would probably be popular and he would be a mod who would be familiar with the whole essence of AH

I nearly choked on my sandwich when I read that.

*tears stream down face*

Feckin brilliant idea, but it won't be popular with the other BGRH mods.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

trout wrote: »
    In fairness, I think every other mod who read that thread and responded here today has independently come to the opposite conclusion.

Read it again. I think you did miss something.

I read it back then and now and disagree entirely.

I should say though that I for one really appreciate your efforts to at least treat feedback as feedback and
    respond to a valid feedback thread with valid responses. The other responses from BGRH mods have left an awful
    lot to be desired.

Not that it matters but I have a massive amount of respect for Tom Dunne as a mod, he is worth 10 of most of the
    mods on boards including myself. On this one Tom I really think you are wrong and have lost a sense of perspective
    and impartiality. I'm not at all surprised at some of the others actions but very at yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Terry and Pighead...swoon... :)

Solid gold. I'd LOVE it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

bgrhceeryusbi128613255842864283.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The irony of a forum (moderators rather than users, thankfully) which continues to trumpet its status as a jokey and light hearted place, closing ranks in what seems to be a serious manner is not lost on some, me included.

If I were Pighead, I'd write it off as not worthy of concern in the first place, and move on.

What I wouldn't do is make a leading comment over on the sister forum, and get myself in further hot water.

I think the Polly Prissypants imaginary tea party is an unholy waste of time myself, but obviously others like it. Good luck to them. Judging by Pigheads approach, he obviously has a similiar opinion to me.

Only difference is, I don't slag them off. They haven't done me any harm, seem to have a good dynamic going, etc. They as a group deserve credit for that, and are a prime example of the users making the community be what it is.

PH has posted some telling links, which would indicate that some moderators would need to project a more impartial approach, if they are to maintain the good examples set by the users, as I mentioned above.

My2c YMMV etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Pighead wrote: »
    With respect SDoom the ribbing that Pighead is accused of in hostile tones by various Mods is taking place in a forum that professes to be a forum that doesn't take itself seriously and which welcomes ribbing, laughs and general joviality.
    The fact that you have generated so much publicity more suitable to an upmarket tabloid will not have gone unoticed by you and just about everybody else piggy .To say you have arrived would be an understatement ,but i havent being around here as long as some to expierence the joys of piggys threads and posts over the years .But one thing i did notice when i first joined as a member a year and a half ago was that your name appeared just about everywere ,so in my humble opinon rightly or wrongly , you deserve your place in the boards.ie hall of fame .

Enjoy every moement of it

*which shouldent be to hard *:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

What's going on here?

• Advertisement

If a pisstaker is not allowed take the piss in a forum designed for pisstaking, then surely it has gone too far and changed need to be made.

QFT.
    Say what you like about that bollocko guy, but he knows what he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My apologies Miss Thaedydal but I have to testify as a witness reflecting what may be behavior on your part to make some seriously snap decisions.

I refer you to this past thread made in the Personal Issues forum in which Magic Marker and I were admittedly having a misunderstanding concerning the subject of nationality and racism - which anyone on Boards now knows I have a soft spot for defending against.

On page 2 you can see my post, first created at 8:57 and last edited 3 minutes later. Admittedly my first version was a bit more brash and offensive, and I edited the post 3 or 4 times until it reflected better how I wanted to be heard. Eventually I settled upon:

"Leave the notion that her dates are racially profiling her, at the door. Thanks."

At 9:07 you placed a post Moderating me for what appears to be my first iteration of the post. Because at 9:15 there was an edit to your post which acknowledged the fact that I had edited my post:

"Sneaky edits wont save you Overheal"

Keep in mind you did not post at all before my final post was in.

At 9:13 Wibbs stopped by to give his casual opinion on the dispute between me and Marker and we both dropped it.

Further down the page we get one of Boards.ie's Time Machine anomalies but the correct order of events is FuzzyWiggle made a response to Wibbs asking if Fuzzy had read the replies of the OP. After Fuzzy clarified her position and responded to Wibb's question - according to timestamps on the posts - Thaedydal issued a Warning to FuzzyWiggle for off topic posted. If anything, Wibbs was in the wrong for asking the question.

Other Mods, without resorting to Moderation, correctly got involved in the thread and discussed it with the Posters.

At face value Miss Thaedydal it appears to be snap-moderation for the sake of moderation. Can't we all just hit the Refresh button on our web browsers before taking action?

Ultimately I neither received an infraction or a ban from the incident though previously I have been banned from PI for off-topic or spam posting: the clarity of which I leave in the hands of Victor but otherwise its a done matter; I thank you for not using my infraction history against me but why does Pighead get his record held against him during a moderator action?

Overheal wrote: »
    At face value Miss Thaedydal it appears to be snap-moderation for the sake of moderation.
    I'm looking for some letters. Letters that sound like cutie or something, but it has some other letter in the middle. Keep it on the QT?
    No that's not it.
    Damn I'm sure I used them not 4 minutes ago, and yet I have completely forgotten them.
    If only I could express myself better.
    My brain FTW. (Fucks the what?)

I'm looking for some letters. Letters that sound like cutie or something, but it has some other letter in the middle. Keep it on the QT?
    No that's not it.
    Damn I'm sure I used them not 4 minutes ago, and yet I have completely forgotten them.
    If only I could express myself better.
    My brain FTW. (Fucks the what?)
    ............erm, what?

Overheal wrote: »
    ............erm, what?

QFT!
    Thats the one.
    Quite ****ing true.
    Yeah.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

QFT!
    Thats the one.
    Quite ****ing true.
    Yeah.
    :pac:

Are you drunk?

OH.....

..erm, thanks! :D

I just got 7x40 posts into the thread, realising I was reading no evidence so i skipped the last 2/3 pages and remembered this little incident between me and MArker that seemed relevant: so here you have it, some relevant psuedo-evidence.

Sueme, its a BGRH dispute, you have to be drunk

edit: im not drunk :(

sueme wrote: »
    Are you drunk?

I must be... Cos your avatar is looking pretty hot right about now...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

Great read. Worthy of a first post.

/runs off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Sorry overheal. I saw "Where me and magicmarker were having at each other in PI" and stopped reading. Could you summarise? I'm tired! :(

Does it have relevance to this threaD?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement