Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer guts and unfair permanent bans.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Moderating i assume can involve a lot of time spent going over, and through threads /posts, so also for a poster it would involve a lot of hrs monitoring mods to see any 'errors' although some errors will probably stick out more than others .

Now without stating the obious ,i dont know anybody who would have the time or inclanation to do so although i am sure their are some who do

Think all would agree that mods can have a tough workload

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mayordenis wrote: »
    it's also stupid that there's a women mod for a completely male orientated forum

Any particular reason why you'd think that? BGRH is as much about attitude and state of mind as it is about gender. If it wasn't there wouldn't be so many women who are more than comfortable posting there.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Generally it appears to be the opinion that a woman has no place modding BGRH as much as no man belongs modding The Ladies Lounge.

I've yet to have any complaints about my modding of TLL. While it all started as a bit of a joke, I've said from the start that if it ever reaches the point where the ladies there are uncomfortable with a male mod, or are unhappy with how I moderate the forum, I will be more than happy to step aside. The last thing I want to do is create conflict or discomfort where none currently exists, but the feedback I've received so far has generally that it's good to have a mod who sees things from a different perspective. I see Thaed modding BGRH as being along the same lines.

I've been at work and then out this evening, so there's no way I'm going to start reading through this thread at this stage. However, there is one point that I will add to the discussion. I've posted in BGRH since just about the very start of the forum. I've made a lot of good friends there, including the forum mods, and that's fairly common knowledge so so I'm not going to pretend that I'm something I'm not. Despite my friendships with the mods I can say hand on heart that I've never been privy to any PMs or deleted posts relating to or in BGRH, however Pighead's low-level trolling of the forum has been a constant topic of discussion for months any time I'm out with any of them. There comes a time when you've just got to say enough is enough. His persistent sniping and attempts to goad other posters or the mods are like the Chinese water torture - a few drops aren't going to bother you too much, but when it keeps going on and on it drives you insane.

I haven't seen yet what exactly got Pighead his ban, that's another day's work, but regardless of whether you find his schtick boring or hilarious (I'm in the former camp), it does go on and on and he keeps provoking until he finally gets a reaction. Well now he's got his reaction and he doesn't like it, but in reality what did he really expect? He's been banned several times already, and irrespective of the merits of each individual ban, surely he must have realised himself that he was running out of lives in BGRH?

Pighead is his own worst enemy, imo, because he's started to believe his own press. He seems to think that he's above the law on Boards and is impervious to any sanctions, but now that he's found out he's not he cries about it to anyone who'll listen. But that said, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if his contrribution to this thread has been minimal and he's happy letting all of Boards give him the attention he craves so much.

I more or less said the same thing in a previous post Zaph

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Zaph wrote: »
    Any particular reason why you'd think that? BGRH is as much about attitude and state of mind as it is about gender.

So it's equally gender/attitude surely the mods should tick both boxes as opposed to only 1 no?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wow, I didnt even know there was a guy mod in TLL :p I just kinda threw it out there. Apologies Zaph.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    I_IZ_SERIUS_ADMNIM_THIZ_IZ_SERIUS_BIZNIS_lolcat.jpg

Regardless of the outcome of this thread- and I can see both sides of the coin- this is one of those feedback threads where we don't need the LOLcats. There's no muppets wasting valuable internetz.

Pighead I looked at those posts and yes, they are all attacking you.

However I will extend the mods the same courtesy I did you and say that context is important. There's plenty of posts from me to regs in the Nocturnal forum which could be used to say I insult them (or, indeed, anally violate them- long story). The post I take umbrage with in your case was the start of a thread.

But TBH I can see there being 2 potential issues here which I would focus on if I were you.

1) Access to BGRH.

I said above the important thing is do you contribute or hinder the BGRH community. I would think if an SMOD/Admin is looking at this case, this will be much much more important than the whys of how you were banned exactly.

2) Mod Bias.

It's obvious you believe you were treated with bias from the mods and TBH you have put accross a really good case to say so. I'd expect no less from you actually, you're obviously a sharp guy.

You are one person and we're not privy to the thought processes that go on with those mods the way we are you.

I have never had a bad experience with any of them in the past. Period. I have required help from at least one of them, which was given promptly and with minimal fuss. I find it hard to believe they made a group decision to "wreck yore buzz."

However, their bias might have arisen from your percieved damaging of the community.

So I am going to sit on the fence. I think this really, really requires someone
    outside of the loop to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

there's no way I'm going to start reading through this thread at this stage.

I haven't seen yet what exactly got Pighead his ban, that's another day's work,

but in reality what did he really expect? He's been banned several times already, and irrespective of the merits of each individual ban, surely he must have realised himself that he was running out of lives in BGRH?

The above, Zaph, shows just how biased you are. how can you expect anyone to take that seriously???

I think the whole situation is on the fence, SDooM. Like other posters have commented on Pighead knows how to walk the line. It just seems like a case of the mods getting eager for him to stumble off of it and into their killzone.

latchyco wrote: »
    I more or less said the same thing in a previous post Zaph

Yep, but I've had a few beers and it took so long to type all that that you got in there just ahead of me. :)
    So it's equally gender/attitude surely the mods should tick both boxes as opposed to only 1 no?

I think you're missing the point. Gender is irrelevant. You said that a woman has no place modding BGRH, I disagreed. Many women post there and many of them would do just as good a job modding there as Thaed, or any of the male mods. The gender of the mod is immaterial, however the ability to understand what the forum is all about is essential.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Wow, I didnt even know there was a guy mod in TLL :p I just kinda threw it out there. Apologies Zaph.

No worries :D

SDooM wrote: »

Pighead I looked at those posts and yes, they are all attacking you.
    No pigheads banning is the thread topic ,but it might just be coincindence that pighead has unintentionally (maybe) drawn the spotlight upon himself more than ever ,so achieving even more notoriety which has already being mentioned .

Then again i might just be missing the bigger picture

• Advertisement

tallaght01 wrote: »
    The above, Zaph, shows just how biased you are. how can you expect anyone to take that seriously???

OK, maybe a poor choice of words on my part. What I was trying to convey was the fact that he's been banned several times, and whether a person agrees or not with the reasoning behind each individual ban, the cumulative effect is eventually going to kick in. If you look at forum bans elsewhere I'm sure there are many that you'll find where some people agree with the decision and some don't. The fact that it's Pighead means that there's a lot more publicity surrounding his bans.

Yep, but I've had a few beers and it took so long to type all that that you got in there just ahead of me. :)
    Yeah , but unlike you nobody thanked me .......yet LOL :)

night night

I think you're missing the point. Gender is irrelevant. You said that a woman has no place modding BGRH, I disagreed. Many women post there and many of them would do just as good a job modding there as Thaed, or any of the male mods. The gender of the mod is immaterial, however the ability to understand what the forum is all about is essential.

No I'm not missing you're point at all actually, I just believe your point to be wrong.
    I think it's obvious when people post or read anything in that forum that it's a completely different atmosphere, and It's obviously a very male shauvenistic Psyche being applied by everyone - I just think it's well pretty stupid to have it modded by a lady - especially one who is trigger happy with regards to bans. Especially as this forum is not from what I and many other can tell supposed to be all rules and regulations - just fun and banter.

You actually said they are equally important factor's both gender and general ethos - I'm saying that if that's so why would you pick someone with half the requirements? She may have the ethos but not the gender - whereas there are severelty others with the full requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I see DeVore is around...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

OK, maybe a poor choice of words on my part. What I was trying to convey was the fact that he's been banned several times, and whether a person agrees or not with the reasoning behind each individual ban, the cumulative effect is eventually going to kick in. If you look at forum bans elsewhere I'm sure there are many that you'll find where some people agree with the decision and some don't. The fact that it's Pighead means that there's a lot more publicity surrounding his bans.

Apologies for picking your post Zaph given your night out and it's 2am, but the obvious argument to that is...

...the last offence has to be ban-worthy or at least worthy of an infraction..and in this case it appears not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think it's obvious when people post or read anything in that forum that it's a completely different atmosphere, and It's obviously a very male shauvenistic Psyche being applied by everyone - I just think it's well pretty stupid to have it modded by a lady - especially one who is trigger happy with regards to bans.
    Nonsense, the ability to mod a forum is based on personality and common sense, gender isn't a consideration (yes I set up a comeback, women, common sense, hohohoho)

You actually said they are equally important factor's both gender and general ethos

No, what I actually said was this:
    BGRH is as much about attitude and state of mind as it is about gender. If it wasn't there wouldn't be so many women who are more than comfortable posting there.

Which basically means that it doesn't matter whether you're male or female, you either get the humour and point of the forum or you don't. The only reason I mentioned gender was because you said it was stupid having a female mod there. I respectfully disagree, as long as someone understands the ethos of the forum then they're capable of modding it.

BGRH is as much about attitude and state of mind as it is about gender.

That to me means that you look at attitude/state of mind as much as you look at gender ie. you look at them equally, at this stage we're argueing symantics but that's the way you wrote it unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

tribulus wrote: »
    I see DeVore is around...

Here's hoping, cos this is getting way out of hand imo. Pighead must be laughing his ass off at the mayhem he has caused

in truth any of us would smirk if our ban plea resulted in so much response (with so few lolcats noetheless!)

my own attempt at a feedback thread was going nowehere fast so i rescinded and ran away :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well at least Pighead will be able to console himself with yet another 'Poster of the Year' award. And it'll be fully deserved.

dfx- wrote: »
    Apologies for picking your post Zaph given your night out and it's 2am, but the obvious argument to that is...

...the last offence has to be ban-worthy or at least worthy of an infraction..and in this case it appears not even close.

I'm being picked on, that's it I'm off to feedback! :D

I see your point, and as I've said I haven't yet trawled through everything that's gone before. All I will say is that I didn't make the decision so I don't know what I would have done in a similar situation. The question is whether you allow a poster drag a forum further down while waiting for them to do something really bad and ban-worthy, or do you finally nip it in the bud and say enough is enough? It's a tough call and I'd imagine you'd find it hard to get a consensus among any given group of a dozen mods, never mind all 300+ mods on Boards.

That to me means that you look at attitude/state of mind as much as you look at gender ie. you look at them equally, at this stage we're argueing symantics but that's the way you wrote it unfortunately.

Having further clarified in my post immediately before this I fail to see how you come to that conclusion. However, as you say, at this stage we're arguing semantics when there's more important things at hand, so I think we should agree to disagree on this one.

so I think we should agree to disagree on this one.

Couldn't agree more.

I just got a PM asking if I was pighead.

Can I just knock that one on the head straight away :P

tallaght01 just got a PM asking if he was pighead.

Can he just knock that one on the head straight away :P

Ohh I dunno, sounds pigheadish to me ;)

GuanYin wrote: »
    Ohh I dunno, sounds pigheadish to GuanYin ;)

I think you're trying to deflect suspicion away from yourself :p

I think you're trying to deflect suspicion away from yourself :p

My command of the english language isn't good enough to be pighead. I have to read all his posts several times to get the tenses right.

(oh noes, don't let the feedback biggots get me.......)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Super Lame thread. Outside, fresh air and sunshine for everyone!
    Says the guy with over 14,000 posts since 2005. :)

Holy ****! Pighead is 31!!!:eek: I hope i'm more like him when i growed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Any chance of a Powah! (CMod, SMod, Admin) making a call on this?
    My eyes are bleeding...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement