Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer guts and unfair permanent bans.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Someone's trying to get to the top of the top thanked list methinks

how popular do you think pighead is??!?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

tbh wrote: »
    ok, lets do another poll. If you think pighead was treated unfairly, thank this post.

Ingenious - surprised Sherifu didn't think of that...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It might be relevant to how Feedback threads go in general but I don't think it's relevant to this thread.

I think it's very relevant. From what i can see ( as the points made to ban him have not been disclosed properly imo ) Pighead has a very reasonable complaint at the moment. But, rather than just say "you all know me and i like to have a laugh" it's done in the same roundabout way that his posting is.

As such, this is working against him and stopping the people who don't like him from looking at his issue objectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

how popular do you think pighead is??!?

I think you'd soon knock Sherifu off his #1 pedestal, that's how popular Pighead is with the unwashed masses :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Fight the power Pighead.

we believe in you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ok, lets do another poll. If you think pighead was treated unfairly, thank this post.

TAKE HIS THANKS AWAY!

Fuzzy and me did!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Dragan wrote: »
    As such, this is working against him and stopping the people who don't like him from looking at his issue objectively.

Are you suggesting that Pighead not be Pighead?

I see your point, I don't think he should rescind his posting style (here) though, that would be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Too much is being made of Robbo's original poll and Tom Dunne's subsequent poll.

I took both them to be a pi$$take, and I don't believe either one resulted in a ban.

Having said that, I closed the second poll, as I didn't like the idea of it ...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55689272&postcount=53

We can all agree that polls should not determine a posters fate ... and I don't believe that ever was the case.

I think the real issue here is the permaban ... is it unfair or not ?
    Can we concentrate on this aspect ?

In the Mod forum a few months back, there was a similar thread dealing with 'biased moderation'.

I would encourage anyone with access to read that thread, and pay particular attention to the deleted posts & threads that were discussed in some detail.

There is a danger here in forming any opinion based on incomplete data ... the links at the start of this thread may not present a complete picture.

I think the mods involved (in both polls & subsequent bans) and the poster involved are no longer capable of engaging rationally, so impartial wisdom should be sought.

I would welcome oversight of this, from whatever source is most appropriate, be that CMod, SMod, Admin ... whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Zulu wrote: »
    Exactly. If he wasn't banned for a particular offence, then it's not fair is it? Just because someone has had enough, isn't a good enough reason.

No but as far as i can see he was happy to play along with this differential treatment because it suited him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

But if this wasn't pighead, i doubt people would be so sympathtic.
    Dinter wrote: »
    It is pretty relevant tbh.

It's having your cake and eating it to say that people's opinions of Pighead's "low level trolling" have got him banned and yet people's opinions of what kind of a poster he is is irrelevent when he complains about it.
    Dragan wrote: »
    I think it's very relevant. From what i can see ( as the points made to ban him have not been disclosed properly imo ) Pighead has a very reasonable complaint at the moment. But, rather than just say "you all know me and i like to have a laugh" it's done in the same roundabout way that his posting is.

Okay, I'm a little confused as to what point you're trying to make.

The fact that Pighead is receiving more sympathy because he's a well liked poster is irrelevant in that his complaint seems to have legitimacy either way.

Dragan, you now seem to have flipped; from saying that Pighead was receiving more sympathy to saying that his posting style is working against him and preventing the issue from being viewed objectively? Which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No but as far as i can see he was happy to play along with this differential treatment because it suited him.
    Perhaps, perhaps not. But that doesn't really change the fact. He's not a mod, just a poster. The mods (are supposed to) know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

trout wrote: »
    I think the real issue here is the permaban ... is it unfair or not ?
    Can we concentrate on this aspect ?
    Afternoon trout. You are a mod and are privvy to all the details of this case. Do you think a perma ban was warranted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Zulu wrote: »
    Perhaps, perhaps not. But that doesn't really change the fact. He's not a mod, just a poster. The mods (are supposed to) know better.

Fair point i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Dragan, you now seem to have flipped; from saying that Pighead was receiving more sympathy to saying that his posting style is working against him and preventing the issue from being viewed objectively? Which is it?

It's both, the people who like Pighead are not accepting that his style may be grating and abrasive and generally unsuitable in some settings while the people who do not like him are assuming he is wrong simply because it is him.

Right now we are aware that not all the information is currently in the public eye and a deeper look from the higher ups has been called for. But rather than sit and wait people are just arguing back and forth about Pighead, more so than the issue itself.

Pighead wrote: »
    Afternoon trout. You are a mod and are privvy to all the details of this case. Do you think a perma ban was warranted?

I'm privy to most, but not all of the details.

My own thoughts on a permaban are not pertinent ... as explained in my post above, I believe this issue has polarised and divided the players involved, which is why I am calling for impartial and independent oversight.

My own opinion, as an individual, is that many of your posts are witty, well constructed and amusing; that doesn't blind me to those posts you make that are cruel, inflammatory and trollish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

The whole issue of the permaban is apparently not so much any one thing but the culmination of Pigheads presence on threads rising people etc.

If Pighead is such a worm in the apple that is BGRH than that's pretty much tough luck. Ignore him, don't respond. He shouldn't be banned for that because for everyone who is irritated by him there are those that aren't.

People who read Pighead's posts are divided pretty well into those who hate him and those that like him. However mods aren't allowed that luxury and nor should they seek to hide behind it.

Unless the mods are happy to stand over what led to his third ban and say that this and solely this, is what caused it then it's pretty unfair tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My impression is that BGRH is a private members club and that there is an establisehd order in there that doesnt like to be upset.

Pighead posts in the manner the orignal form was setup i.e a light hearted take the piss kind of way and it would appear to me that the BGRH people see themselfs above this.

The Mods have made some bad decsions in there in IMHO.
    nipplenuts wrote: »

Spot on. Be in charge or don't be in charge.

The public poll was bad form. The Mods were either not in a strong enough postion to give a full and courted public opnion on them and it back fired on more than one ocasion it would appear.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »

And it's interesting how he stoops to level of posting Private Messages without the sender's permission. That to me speaks volumes. It also reeks of desperation.

Placing a public poll to get rid of a memember of your forum also reeks of desperation.

jsb wrote: »

Rather it would generally be his behaviour in a few different threads that would usually bring him up on the mods radar

Again it appears to me that because he doesnt fit in with the general order of things there is a campagin agaisnt him. No infractions. If there was at least you could understand every one would know where they stand
    6th wrote: »
    If they infracted him when he steps out of line they will rack up and will result in a site ban.

Thats what puzzles me the most. I havent looked but I'm fairly sure that the mods in question know how to infract yet there hasnt been any mentioned here. There was nothing to indicate a history of trolling and then some very poor decsions to ban resulting in a life time ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm privy to most, but not all of the details.

My own thoughts on a permaban are not pertinent ... as explained in my post above, I believe this issue has polarised and divided the players involved, which is why I am calling for impartial and independent oversight.

My own opinion, as an individual, is that many of your posts are witty, well constructed and amusing; that doesn't blind me to those posts you make that are cruel, inflammatory and trollish.
    Jesus trout, c'mon buddy. Pighead realises that you are a mod but you are allowed an opinion. And when has Pighead ever been cruel?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I would welcome oversight of this, from whatever source is most appropriate, be that CMod, SMod, Admin ... whatever.

trout
    To be fair, I cannot give a clear over sight at this moment.
    Not until I know if two of his bans were for the two comments he highlighted, the ones I quoted in my first comment in this thread (page 2)

If I am to go on those facts alone, ie - those two comments got him two bans, then I would have to question why considering the forum the comments were made in.
    Hardly bannable offences and certainly not worthy of resulting in him getting a perm ban.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would encourage anyone with access to read that thread, and pay particular attention to the deleted posts & threads that were discussed in some detail.

Can you post a link. I cant find it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pighead wrote: »

What makes you think a permaban was handed down with out consensus between the mods ?

IS that why you pmed some of the mods lying about the other co mods not answering your pms ?

I have to say the bcc function on the pm is just wonderful.

Pigheads banning history was long and colourful long before I became a BGRH mod and his permaban is based on that history and should be judged on those merits as per the thread in the mods forum.

As for the post which resulted in the last ban oddly enough there was no issue with that or questioning of it or the infraction that went with it for all the mods to see up until now, strange that. :rolleyes:

The BGHR mods have concurred that you darling trollhead are a canker on the BGRH rose and have cut you from it. If a poster earns a ban and serves it but refuses to be rehabilitated or mend their ways and earns repeated bans this is what happens not just in BGRH but in all forums.

And as for those who think I don't have a sense of humour ah well pull the other one it's got bells on.

kearnsr wrote: »
    Can you post a link. I cant find it

Search for 'Biased Moderation?' in the Mod forum.

The second hit is the thread I am referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I have to say the bcc function on the pm is just wonderful.

cheap imo; more so given you seem to be enjoying knowing what the PMs said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kaimera wrote: »
    cheap imo; more so given you seem to be enjoying knowing what the PMs said.

Cheap? Why?

Cheap to use the BCC function to weedle out a poster's lies, Pighead or not?

Good moderation, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pighead's material is wasted on the beerguts and wannabes audience anyway, save the comedy gold for AH say I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I use it to copy my co mods on posts related to moding posters, that is why it is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Des wrote: »
    Cheap? Why?

Cheap to use the BCC function to weedle out a poster's lies, Pighead or not?

Good moderation, I'd say.
    CC ?

Is there really a need for BCC especially if it's to mods of the same forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Thaedydal wrote: »

And as for those who think I don't have a sense of humour ah well pull the other one it's got bells on.

I'm not hearing any jingles :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

watna wrote: »
    Shouldn't have posted the pm without permission piggy. TD won't like that!

Well apparently if you use the bcc function to publish a pm it's good modding just as long as the thralls don't see it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement