Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer guts and unfair permanent bans.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kaimera wrote: »
    CC ?

Is there really a need for BCC especially if it's to mods of the same forum?

Thaed has given her reasons.

If you don't think BCC has a place on Boards, ask CuLT to remove it, tbh, don't be having a pop at people for using an available function.

That is cheap, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Pighead wrote: »
    Jesus trout, c'mon buddy. Pighead realises that you are a mod but you are allowed an opinion. And when has Pighead ever been cruel?

I am allowed an opinion and I gave it.

That's a different thing to any action I take as a mod, or it should be. I know that sounds rather noble, but I actually believe it.

As for cruel, don't be disingenuous. Much of your humour has a cutting edge to it, which I feel borders on and spills over into cruelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What makes you think a permaban was handed down with out consensus between the mods ?
    Mainly because Pighead PM'd you the other day and asked you what the situation was and you replied that Tom was the Sr Mod and any decision was up to him.
    IS that why you pmed some of the mods lying about the other co mods not answering your pms ? I have to say the bcc function on the pm is just wonderful.
    Pighead PM'd you saying that Tom had ceased answering his PM's. He had. Pighead PM'd you on the 17th in the evening and you didn't reply. PM'd trout saying that neither you nor Tom had answered PM's. Which was true. Why do you think it was a lie?

Pigheads banning history was long and colourful long before I became a BGRH mod and his permaban is based on that history and should be judged on those merits as per the thread in the mods forum.
    Hang on a second. The issue here is the ban that you handed out to Pighead for asking for some sudocream for Des's todger. Forget about previous history for a second. Do you stand by that banning? Because lets face it thats is one of the main reasons why Pighead is perma banned right now.
    As for the post which resulted in the last ban oddly enough there was no issue with that or questioning of it or the infraction that went with it for all the mods to see up until now, strange that. :rolleyes:
    Of course there wasn't! Pighead had no idea the ban was permanent at that stage! The perma ban was only thrown out on the 17th, 10 days after the original ban!
    trout wrote: »
    As for cruel, don't be disingenuous. Much of your humour has a cutting edge to it, which I feel borders on and spills over into cruelty.
    There you go again. Listen trout this is feedback. Pighead has put forward his case with links post etc. So far you, Tom and Thaedydldydl have produced absolutely nothing except vague tut tutting of past un-named discretions. Surely you can throw a few links out to show this "cruelty" you speak of. Pighead admits to have wound up members in BGRH in the past but "cruel"? Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Why has not one of the mods come back to Beruthiel and told her whether or not the last 2 bans were for the posts pighead linked to?

Seriously, It's not a hard question to answer. Was he banned for those 2 comments or not? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

cheap imo; more so given you seem to be enjoying knowing what the PMs said.

Not as cheap as lying about Mods not getting back to you.

If that is true Pighead your campaign has lost a lot of ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

takola wrote: »
    Why has not one of the mods come back to Beruthiel and told her whether or not the last 2 bans were for the posts pighead linked to?

Seriously, It's not a hard question to answer. Was he banned for those 2 comments or not? :confused:

I didn't ban Pighead ... I'm not answering for anyone else.
    As for PMs ... I answer them all.

Again, I would urge any mods in this thread to search the Mod forum for the thread titled 'Biased Moderation?'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Des wrote: »
    Thaed has given her reasons.

If you don't think BCC has a place on Boards, ask CuLT to remove it, tbh, don't be having a pop at people for using an available function.

That is cheap, imo.

no - there's a subtle difference here. CC means everyone knows who got the message. BCC means that they don't. I read Thaeds line about using BCC as saying "I knew what was being said, even tho you didn't know I knew". It's kind of like saying "Don't fck with the mods". That's the way I took it anyway, apols if I'm wrong. Somebody BCC'ing someone on a PM is the same as publishing that PM without everyone's consent. However, I don't know what PM's thaed was talking about, so I don't know how relevant this whole tangent is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I use it to copy my co mods on posts related to moding posters, that is why it is there.
    Ok Thaed. You say Pighead has lied re the PM sequence of events. Is it ok to post each and every one of them out here?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ok Thaed. You say Pighead has lied re the PM sequence of events. Is it ok to post each and every one of them out here?

I would think even further Mr. Head, and suggest that as she is accusing you of lying, she should prove said accusation herself and not leave it to you to try and defend yourself.
    Because it's just agressive self-congratulation unless anything is backed up.

tbh wrote: »
    no - there's a subtle difference here. CC means everyone knows who got the message. BCC means that they don't.
    Thanks for the internet lesson.
    I read Thaeds line about using BCC as saying "I knew what was being said, even tho you didn't know I knew". It's kind of like saying "Don't fck with the mods". That's the way I took it anyway, apols if I'm wrong. Somebody BCC'ing someone on a PM is the same as publishing that PM without everyone's consent. However, I don't know what PM's thaed was talking about, so I don't know how relevant this whole tangent is.

In my opinion, co-mods of a forum should be able to share PM's relating to moderation, seems to me BCC is a pretty handy way of doing that.

If a user wants to tell lies to one mod, that is their own look out.

• Advertisement

There really is a feeling of dislike towards Pighead from the BGRH mods throughout this thread from what I can see & I have witnessed cold comments towards him in the bar from the very same mods in the past. It's plainly obvious that you just don't like the guy.

Mods on other forums take Pighead with a pinch of salt as he generally always stays within the rules, alot of the stuff he says are admittedly borderline but I personally find them hilarious. Most mods know he is just joking& go on with their business. At the beers last Friday I had a small discussion with a few people about him and it really is a case of you don't like him or you find him funny. For me anyway, if I see a post made by Pighead in a thread I check it out as a good 70-80% of the time it is genuinely funny. I know alot of other posters feel the same way & I feel this is something good about Boards is it not? I don't know about the others really, maybe some don't find him funny or are just intimidated by him because they just dont ''get'' him.

I find it strange though, that a forum like BGRH are taking him so seriously considering the forum is supposed to be a bit of craic. I don't post there anymore after doing it for a while as you don't feel welcome when you're not a regular poster which is just plain wierd! Beer Guts & Receding Hairline eh? Surely a forum with that name can allow a little over sarcastic Piggy take the piss without harm, no? Or is the internet serious business as we all know :rolleyes: ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Thanks for the internet lesson.

In my opinion, co-mods of a forum should be able to share PM's relating to moderation, seems to me BCC is a pretty handy way of doing that.

If a user wants to tell lies to one mod, that is their own look out.

no need to be smart des, I'm just explaining my point. Why would you use BCC instead of CC, and why would you say "BCC is a great thing" instead of "CC is a great thing"? that's my point. Why specifically point out that BCC was used? I can only assume that thaed was rubbing pigheads nose in it - "you didn't know that I knew what was being said, but I did". It doesn't exactly make thaed look objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

There really is a feeling of dislike towards Pighead from the BGRH mods throughout this thread from what I can see & I have witnessed cold comments towards him in the bar from the very same mods in the past. It's plainly obvious that you just don't like the guy.

Mods on other forums take Pighead with a pinch of salt as he generally always stays within the rules, alot of the stuff he says are admittedly borderline but I personally find them hilarious. Most mods know he is just joking& go on with their business. At the beers last Friday I had a small discussion with a few people about him and it really is a case of you don't like him or you find him funny. For me anyway, if I see a post made by Pighead in a thread I check it out as a good 70-80% of the time it is genuinely funny. I know alot of other posters feel the same way & I feel this is something good about Boards is it not? I don't know about the others really, maybe some don't find him funny or are just intimidated by him because they just dont ''get'' him.

I find it strange though, that a forum like BGRH are taking him so seriously considering the forum is supposed to be a bit of craic. I don't post there anymore after doing it for a while as you don't feel welcome when you're not a regular poster which is just plain wierd! Beer Guts & Receding Hairline eh? Surely a forum with that name can allow a little over sarcastic Piggy take the piss without harm, no? Or is the internet serious business as we all know :rolleyes: ?

+1. This is the rub. BGRH mods take note. You may not like Pighead, but that by itself is not a good enough reason to perma-ban him. And as Pighead has pointed out, you have not produced any evidence of the chronic trolling you accuse him of, instead resorting to "tut-tutting" and calling him Porky.

Taking the piss and getting a rise out of posters is not equal to trolling, especially in a place like BGRH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

165 replies to a feedback thread in which most of the mods have made comments yet said very little about the issue. Strange stuff.

-Funk

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Aye.
    If I could get an answer to my question, that would be terrific.
    Ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pighead PM'd you on the 17th in the evening and you didn't reply. PM'd trout saying that neither you nor Tom had answered PM's.

I answered all the pms you sent me re this matter in a timely fashion and was not pleased that you were trying to tell my co mods I was ignoring pms from you.

Hang on a second. The issue here is the ban that you handed out to Pighead for asking for some sudocream for Des's todger.

Which as a bases for a ban you did not object to what so ever.
    Because lets face it thats is one of the main reasons why Pighead is perma banned right now.

Nope your history of posts in the forum is the reason you are permbanned.
    Of course there wasn't! Pighead had no idea the ban was permanent at that stage! The perma ban was only thrown out on the 17th, 10 days after the original ban!

You were told the ban was until futher notice.
    Oh dear you just could not help yourself you were repeatedly warned about such personal sniping posts are people in the forum and you were on your last chance. Banned from BGRH until further notice.

Taken from the infaction which is advailible for all mods to read here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055329829&highlight=pighead

Thaedydldydl

I see you still have not mastered copy and paste yet.

Pighead admits to have wound up members in BGRH in the past

But yet you wonder why you are banned ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I'm just explaining my point. Why would you use BCC instead of CC, and why would you say "BCC is a great thing" instead of "CC is a great thing"? that's my point. Why specifically point out that BCC was used? I can only assume that thaed was rubbing pigheads nose in it - "you didn't know that I knew what was being said, but I did". It doesn't exactly make thaed look objective.

I wonder would it be fine for Pighead to post the pm's he's referring to, to random users without the permission of the BGRH mods or is that somehow different to bccing them or displaying them mid thread. Maybe if he gave a little intro at the beginning.

"You know I got this off that wearisome little bollox Porky. Go on have a read of it and see if you can remain impartial when I've set it up for you."

I wonder what exactly is private about pms?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Piggie you couldn't possibly have been banned for the above two comments.
    There has to be more to it that you are leaving out...?

Of course there is, Ruthie, and you know it. :)

The two posts referenced were the proverbial straws that broke the piggy's back. The ban was for a culmination of those two posts and prior posts. There are also threads, one of which springs to mind is the disparaging one on a certain DJ. Yes, it was all lovingly wrapped up in "Ah, sure DJ is a nice guy, but I think he is xyz" (if I recall, the word "lovely" was used on more that several occasions in the opening post of that thread). But I know for a fact if the target of that thread had seen it, that person would have been very upset. All for a laugh? Some people might see it that way, the target most certainly would not. Is it not my duty as a moderator to protect posters from personal attacks such as that, even if they are all dressed up in "niceness"?
    As for holding polls to decide on whither to let you back in or not, I don't agree with that.
    Polls in a private forum is normal and understandable.
    Polls in an open forum are a no no imo and the decision should be down to the mods of that forum.

Again, it is all about context. While I can't speak for Robbo, I can say that the poll I started about letting him back in was started straight after he started a poll about whether women should be allowed into BGRH. In that context, I think it is quite fitting and in keeping with the humour of the forum.
    Now your comments would obviously get you banned from PI, but BG&RH is meant to be nothing more than light banter, so I do have to wonder if there is more to it than you are saying

Is it not the job of a moderator to keep the forum on an even keel? Even in such a forum as BGRH? Unfortunately, not everybody adheres to the "Don't feed the trolls" mantra and end up biting when Porky baits. So when he rises other posters, is it not a moderator's job to step in and keep the peace? Is it not a moderator's job to warn posters, and if the keep continually annoying others, take action?

And in all this, somebody mentioned Infractions. We all know that a poster of Porky's toll caliber will, when he gets an infraction, stay away until the infraction expires. I have infracted Porky, I might as well have infracted Beruthiel for all the good it did, for he was back with a vengeance as soon as it expired.

So, if multiple warnings and infractions don't work, then what recourse do I as a moderator have?

I think it is quite clear.

That's all I am going to say on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I'm not hearing any jingles :D

That wasn't my other leg......:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Pighead wrote:
    Thaedydldydl
    The cat and the fiddle.
    Lol, remove ban based on this.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Of course there is, Ruthie, and you know it. :)

The two posts referenced were the proverbial straws that broke the piggy's back. The ban was for a culmination of those two posts and prior posts. There are also threads, one of which springs to mind is the disparaging one on a certain DJ. Yes, it was all lovingly wrapped up in "Ah, sure DJ is a nice guy, but I think he is xyz" (if I recall, the word "lovely" was used on more that several occasions in the opening post of that thread). But I know for a fact if the target of that thread had seen it, that person would have been very upset. All for a laugh? Some people might see it that way, the target most certainly would not. Is it not my duty as a moderator to protect posters from personal attacks such as that, even if they are all dressed up in "niceness"?

Again, it is all about context. While I can't speak for Robbo, I can say that the poll I started about letting him back in was started straight after he started a poll about whether women should be allowed into BGRH. In that context, I think it is quite fitting and in keeping with the humour of the forum.

Is it not the job of a moderator to keep the forum on an even keel? Even in such a forum as BGRH? Unfortunately, not everybody adheres to the "Don't feed the trolls" mantra and end up biting when Porky baits. So when he rises other posters, is it not a moderator's job to step in and keep the peace? Is it not a moderator's job to warn posters, and if the keep continually annoying others, take action?

And in all this, somebody mentioned Infractions. We all know that a poster of Porky's toll caliber will, when he gets an infraction, stay away until the infraction expires. I have infracted Porky, I might as well have infracted Beruthiel for all the good it did, for he was back with a vengeance as soon as it expired.

So, if multiple warnings and infractions don't work, then what recourse do I as a moderator have?

I think it is quite clear.

That's all I am going to say on the matter.

Cements my point I feel. You BGRH mods simply don't like Pighead. Well hey, it aint a big deal to me. I just feel it's a little unfair to ban the funny Pig from BGRH for doing what he does in EVERY other forum.

That's all the input I'll give on that subject anyway.

Another point I brought up in my other post on this thread, why is BGRH like a private club for the regular posters? I get a wierd feeling around that forum. From the great words of Leslie Nelson, ''like a blind man in an orgy, you've got to feel things out''

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The two posts referenced were the proverbial straws that broke the piggy's back. The ban was for a culmination of those two posts and prior posts.

Well, that I can understand and certainly makes more sense than being banned for just that comment.
    But I know for a fact if the target of that thread had seen it, that person would have been very upset. All for a laugh? Some people might see it that way, the target most certainly would not. Is it not my duty as a moderator to protect posters from personal attacks such as that

Indeed it is.

Point taken.
    So, it would seem that Piggie was given many chances and did not see the error of his ways?

Another point I brought up in my other post on this thread, why is BGRH like a private club for the regular posters? I get a wierd feeling around that forum. From the great words of Leslie Nelson, ''like a blind man in an orgy, you've got to feel things out''

Private Members club, my hole.

BGRH is extremely welcoming.

Extremely so.

For the proof, come to a beers. The first one, last november, had 12 souls at it, the last one in June, the "Night of A Thousand Corsets", had close to 60 people milling around, having a laugh.

No, the accusations of it being somehow closed to outsiders is so wide of the mark, it's laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

CC ?

Is there really a need for BCC especially if it's to mods of the same forum?
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Cements my point I feel. You BGRH mods simply don't like Pighead. Well hey, it aint a big deal to me. I just feel it's a little unfair to ban the funny Pig from BGRH for doing what he does in EVERY other forum

You'd want to check that cement. Where did I mention other fora? I was specifically speaking about BGRH.
    So, it would seem that Piggie was given many chances and did not see the error of his ways?

Exactly.

I am in work at the moment, and by the looks of it, I am not making a good defense of my position. But I would hope people will take what I have said above in good faith and remember - it's all about context. Porky appears to be a master of taking things out of context and making himself look the victim.

Oh, and let us not forget the most important point: Pretend Internet Bars - serious business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Cements my point I feel. You BGRH mods simply don't like Pighead. Well hey, it aint a big deal to me. I just feel it's a little unfair to ban the funny Pig from BGRH for doing what he does in EVERY other forum.

does pighead actually post in every other forum cause I'd say there are probably a lot of forums where his posting style doesn't go down well and he doesn't post there.

Pighead doesn't contribute anything worthwhile to the BGRH forum and truthfully alot of the posts on the thread are saying "well he gets away with it in other forums" well here is the thing the BGRH isn't the forums, if it was there would be no need for it.

Private Members club, my hole.

BGRH is extremely welcoming.

Extremely so.

For the proof, come to a beers. The first one, last november, had 12 souls at it, the last one in June, the "Night of A Thousand Corsets", had close to 60 people milling around, having a laugh.

No, the accusations of it being somehow closed to outsiders is so wide of the mark, it's laughable.

I am not the only one to vent these feelings Des, not a big deal at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Maybe you would have been better off banning piggie for that DJ thread then :confused: The 2 posts that got him banned were pretty weak, if you're going to ban somone for a culmination of offenses "the straw that broke the camels back" should be a decent straw :)

I am not the only one to vent these feelings Des, not a big deal at all though.

If it's not a big deal, why mention it, and when your post is addressed, don't reply?

Strange tbh.

How anyone can say a forum like BGRH, with it's very successful social aspect, is unwelcoming is seriously baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

FFS - Pighead may like stirring it up a little in BGRH. Big fcuking deal. It's not like he is malicious. In fact he enters into the spirit of BGRH by taking the mickey out of it. Exactly in the same way that the forum takes the pïss out of itself by being titled "Beer Guts & Receding Hairlines" & not "Male-Patterned Baldness & Paunches".

BGRH Mods - If Pighead gets on your nerves - deal with it. If he contravenes an item in the proto-charter (I've yet to see solid cause for this) - ban him. I for one find him a real asset to the forum & enjoy the banter with him. Please don't deny me that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement