Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer guts and unfair permanent bans.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Maybe you would have been better off banning piggie for that DJ thread then :confused: The 2 posts that got him banned were pretty weak, if you're going to ban somone for a culmination of offenses "the straw that broke the camels back" should be a decent straw :)

I agree. The "straw" should be actually something that's against the rules. Not a harmless post about sudocream!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

The reasons expressed by the mods are hardly appropriate material to ban a user permanently. I doubt TD should reosrt to calling the user Pighead "Porky" considering the perceived seriousness of this thread, which has descended into two sides having at each other every 5 posts.

I've yet to see good reason for Pighead's permanent ban from BGRH brought out in the main conversation here.

EDIT: I wouldn't call BGRH unwelcoming, just the number of in-jokes makes it difficult to catch up sometimes. I think they do try hard to be welcoming, but it's a tough job on a popular forum where in-jokes are part of the whole social scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

There really is a feeling of dislike towards Pighead from the BGRH mods throughout this thread from what I can see & I have witnessed cold comments towards him in the bar from the very same mods in the past. It's plainly obvious that you just don't like the guy.

Mods on other forums take Pighead with a pinch of salt as he generally always stays within the rules, alot of the stuff he says are admittedly borderline but I personally find them hilarious. Most mods know he is just joking& go on with their business. At the beers last Friday I had a small discussion with a few people about him and it really is a case of you don't like him or you find him funny. For me anyway, if I see a post made by Pighead in a thread I check it out as a good 70-80% of the time it is genuinely funny. I know alot of other posters feel the same way & I feel this is something good about Boards is it not? I don't know about the others really, maybe some don't find him funny or are just intimidated by him because they just dont ''get'' him.

I find it strange though, that a forum like BGRH are taking him so seriously considering the forum is supposed to be a bit of craic. I don't post there anymore after doing it for a while as you don't feel welcome when you're not a regular poster which is just plain wierd! Beer Guts & Receding Hairline eh? Surely a forum with that name can allow a little over sarcastic Piggy take the piss without harm, no? Or is the internet serious business as we all know :rolleyes: ?
    I'm out of "thanks" so:
    +1

I thanked you for thanking him. Is that better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I agree. The "straw" should be actually something that's against the rules. Not a harmless post about sudocream!!

medical advice tho? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is a difference between lewd and crude which some posters cant' seem to grasp.
    BGRH is at times a lewd place but the brothers being gents and laydess being ladies it's not crude.
    It's like the difference between burlesque dancers and stippers.
    BGRH is a burlesque place not a boredello.

Hillbilly most of pigheads offending posts were softdeleted by my co mods so you can't see them but smods can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've yet to see good reason for Pighead's permanent ban from BGRH brought out in the main conversation here.

Does there have to be?

Since when is feedback the final word on bannings.

The forum mods feel the ban is correct.

An SMod seems to be coming round to their way of thinking too. Given the evidence of posts that people, including myself, cannot see.

That should be enough. A thread was deleted that a BGRH Mod deemed would be not-in-keeping with the forum ethos, the user has been infracted, banned and warned on numerous occasions, and still his behaviour, in the particular forum, has not changed.

Grounds for a perm-ban imo.

People, go and read Pighead's posts in the Soccer Forum, not the off-topic thread, mind.

Observe the differences ;)

Next is the Admin, if they even feel the need to intrevene at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Des wrote: »
    No, the accusations of it being somehow closed to outsiders is so wide of the mark, it's laughable.

Des,
    And again with respect, I think you may be a bit entrenched in the BGRH setup and it can be difficult to see what some other posters do see about the way BGRH has gone.
    I have, as you know, been a BGRH fan from post 1 and again, you may have noticed that my posting ferocity has died down immensely. Certain moderating choices contributed to this but by and large I have had little issue with most of the moderators on there.
    So I dont like being part of a big ridiculous fight tha powah brigade or put myself at odds with moderators if possible.
    I think issues with certain posters escalated this recent BGRH attitude to knock the errant poster, and the attitude towards some of the noobs and all is more insulting or dismissive than it had been before. Now i am not saying that BGRH is unwelcoming, but I do think that it doesnt suffer those who don't fully get what the forum is about, or those who arent of the beer gutted persuasion asking questions, or the wimmins who don't play along. So yes, it is welcoming and I take your point on that, and there is a great bunch of guys on there, but there is something of an established club in there now that there never was before, that puts some posters off from posting there now, myself included.
    And if it comes to a point where someone like Pighead, with his posting style, is not welcome in yore ma's, well then I would have to say that I have little interest in having a pint pulled for me there either. It is smartarsery that spawned BGRH, and hilarity and knocking other posters / forums that sustained it. Look at the threads that are just wrong thread. Look at the fitness vs. BGRH and BGRH vs the LL, the wimmins with the quaint pats in the bottom etc. I can see that he can be a pain in the nut to mod, and again, if subtle digs at some posters are too much I think it should be taken in the spirit it was meant, which is one of light hearted banter.
    I dont want to be a backseat mod, but if a pisstaker is not allowed take the piss in a forum designed for pisstaking, then surely it has gone too far and changed need to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I just feel it's a little unfair to ban the funny Pig from BGRH for doing what he does in EVERY other forum.

Ah, but he doesn't. Pighead also posts in Soccer, where his posts are measured, mannerly, correct and appropriate. That's where the problem arises for me - his posting in BGRH seems appropriate to the environment, unless I am completely off the mark in understanding what it is about. He doesn't come across as an idiot to me.

Pighead, a bit like Guinness - takes getting used to.

One other point, slightly off topic, occurs. All this attention wouldn't be for any other poster - I cannot see a queue for my next feedback thread - are we all in danger of turning Pighead into some kind of saintly effigy or martyr?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Is Pighead hurting anyone with his posts?
    If not get on with it ladies and just let him back in.

• Advertisement

Does there have to be?

Since when is feedback the final word on bannings.

The forum mods feel the ban is correct.

An SMod seems to be coming round to their way of thinking too. Given the evidence of posts that people, including myself, cannot see.

I agree with what you're saying Des, we can hardly judge what's the real story when we cannot see the evidence.

If the evidence is deleted then the Feedback thread is hardly a fair way for Pighead to ask for opinions, which is what Feedback is all about.

hunter164 wrote: »

Some of the posts you can't see could be described as hurtful to some people, yes.

Next.

Some of the posts you can't see could be described as hurtful to some people, yes.

Next.
    It's an internet forum how could you find anything hurtful?

I agree with what you're saying Des, we can hardly judge what's the real story when we cannot see the evidence.

If the evidence is deleted then the Feedback thread is hardly a fair way for Pighead to ask for opinions, which is what Feedback is all about.

Pighead is around long enough to know this too.

HE is the one who started the thread asking for opinions.

he could quite easily have Pmd an Smod and asked them to take a look at the situation, or asked the same question in HelpDesk, instead of rabble-rousing in Feedback.

He knew what he was doing, make no mistake about that.

It's an internet forum how could you find anything hurtful?

Maybe true for me and you, but some people are different. ;)

You may find that hard to believe, but it's true.

Internet forums are some people's only contact with other people.

Don't be so quick to judge.

jsb wrote:
    Pighead doesn't contribute anything worthwhile to the BGRH forum and truthfully alot of the posts on the thread are saying "well he gets away with it in other forums" well here is the thing the BGRH isn't the forums, if it was there would be no need for it.
    Just so we are all clear here: are you suggesting you think it's ok then to ban someone because you don't like the way they post (even if they haven't broken a rule)?
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    FFS - Pighead may like stirring it up a little in BGRH. Big fcuking deal. It's not like he is malicious. In fact he enters into the spirit of BGRH by taking the mickey out of it. Exactly in the same way that the forum takes the pïss out of itself by being titled "Beer Guts & Receding Hairlines" & not "Male-Patterned Baldness & Paunches".

BGRH Mods - If Pighead gets on your nerves - deal with it. If he contravenes an item in the proto-charter (I've yet to see solid cause for this) - ban him. I for one find him a real asset to the forum & enjoy the banter with him. Please don't deny me that.
    +1 to sense being told.

he could quite easily have Pmd an Smod and asked them to take a look at the situation, or asked the same question in HelpDesk, instead of rabble-rousing in Feedback.

That makes no sense.
    Feedback is the next stop if a mod PM doesnt resolve the issue with the ban.
    He is entitled to start a thread and its validity has not been questioned by anyone else.
    This points to a definite personal distaste for Pighead rather than any kind of measured response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

For all of Feedback's flaws, I think its pretty good at weeding out the chancers that start threads here.

I haven't seen that happen in this case, I just see a pretty well-presented case by Pighead. I also see BGRH mods who allude to further evidence of his misbehaviour without presenting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

If not get on with it ladies and just let him back in.

Well the mods seem to think so. What i don't like about his posting style sometimes is that he cuts too close to the bone without actually coming out and saying it. I have seen several of his posts which i would have considered inappropriate or inflammatory or trollish (it's hard to put a finger on it because he is so smart) and he gets away with it. imo he deserved what he got. Like i said before, i like pighead (sometimes) but just because some people find him funny does not give him a free rein to post in a way which would get others banned. I can understand the mods decision

I thanked you for thanking him. Is that better?
    :) ...and the ying and yang find their natural equilibrium, finally!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

TBH anyone who claims BGRH is not welcoming is talking absolute crap, it was one of the only places I found welcoming when I joined boards.
    Anyone who thinks its some private members club should really make an effort and go to a BGRH beers and meet the tons of people from different forums who come along too and have (as far as I know) had a great time.
    I take any Pighead posts tongue in cheek, but I have noticed he has caused upset in the past in BGRH, and in all honesty I'd trust the mods in relation to maybe some deleted posts us normal folk can't see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

If he had been rabble rousing the cats would have been out long ago, not much sign yet despite TDs call for them.

This points to a definite personal distaste for Pighead rather than any kind of measured response.
    Actually, I quite like Pighead, a sentiment I have expressed to Tom Dunne, Trout and Thaed on more than one occasion, in person.
    cornbb wrote: »
    I also see BGRH mods who allude to further evidence of his misbehaviour without presenting it.

Without presenting it to the masses you mean.

They are under no obligation to do that, either.

An SMod has looked at the case, and in her last post, would seem to be coming down on the side of the Mods, no?

Actually, I quite like Pighead, a sentiment I have expressed to Tom Dunne, Trout and Thaed on more than one occasion, in person.

Without presenting it to the masses you mean.

They are under no obligation to do that, either.

An SMod has looked at the case, and in her last post, would seem to be coming down on the side of the Mods, no?

Des you are body swerving the more salient points raised to you like a Red Baron.

Maybe true for me and you, but some people are different. ;)

You may find that hard to believe, but it's true.

Internet forums are some people's only contact with other people.

Don't be so quick to judge.
    Fair enough but as fair as I can see he's just having a laugh and some people take him too serious.

That makes no sense.
    Feedback is the next stop if a mod PM doesnt resolve the issue with the ban.
    He is entitled to start a thread and its validity has not been questioned by anyone else.

OK, as a response to this.

Feedback is NOT the next logical step if PMs to Mods don't resolve the issue.

In my mind, PMs to CMod is the next step, then SMod, and finally a HelpDesk thread marked [Admin Attn].

I wouild suggest people have a read of this.

How this (Feedback) forum works

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

but if a pisstaker is not allowed take the piss in a forum designed for pisstaking, then surely it has gone too far and changed need to be made.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of all Pigheads actions is this not the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

OK, as a response to this.

Feedback is NOT the next logical step if PMs to Mods don't resolve the issue.

In my mind, PMs to CMod is the next step, then SMod, and finally a HelpDesk thread marked [Admin Attn].

I wouild suggest people have a read of this.

How this (Feedback) forum works

I agree with Des on this. If I had a problem I would be following his route. I wouldn't come to the Judge Judy courtroom that is feedback

On the Pighead issue. Pighead is one of the smartest folk on boards and I'd bet is currently having a great laugh at this monster of a thread and how he turned a thread on a forum which is not known as serious, into serious business.

I'm sure he was waiting for the day where his constant hugging the ban line would get him banned without grossly breaking the rules, just for this very type of thread.

Where's my tinfoil hat gone??

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

As a long time lurker I believe you are mistaken
    Feedback is NOT the next logical step if PMs to Mods don't resolve the issue

From my reading of many of Pigheads posts and his manner of posting I believe that Feedback is the only Pighead logical step to take.
    Where's my tinfoil hat gone??

I've got a spare one around here somewhere if your stuck :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I had a read through the thread that Trout recommended. Most of the links were gone at this point but I have to be honest and say I was fairly surprised at what I seen.

While originally, I read this thread thinking that it was a personal dislike of PH which caused the perma-ban. All of pighead's links backed that up and my experience when I was a regular poster in BGRH were that there was a personal dislike and that the mods always saw the bad side of pighead's posts. I had never found him to be malicious and would never have looked at his posts as trolling to be honest. I find him hilarious.

But after seeing some of the threads he's started and certain posts he's made I can actually understand why the mods would be taking the defensive and why he's been perma-banned. And while I think the 2 posts that broke the camel's back were weak, there is enough there to warrant a perma-ban imo.

I shudder to think of the reaction of a certain someone if he'd seen that thread and am grateful that it was caught so quickly.

Also, I find it amusing how it's the regulars of BGRH who say it's very welcoming. And tbh guys, you can say that because you've been in there so long that you are now in the inner circle. The fact still stands that BGRH can be very unwelcoming to new people. It's been said by so many posters at this point yet it's just dismissed.

People are saying it. It's obviously a problem for some users. Dismissing it is not going to change anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement