Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Combo-Battery Light on????

Options
  • 23-07-2008 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know what the reason the battery light would come on on the dash? It just came on while i was driving yest and it hasnt gone back off yet. It goes off when i rev the engine. I got a fella from a car shop to have quick look and he couldnt see anything major wrong with it.

The engine does sound little bit different and im just wondering is it serious?

I only got it about a month ago and its still under warrenty so it will be going back in to get checked out today hopefully.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Loose fan belt or faulty altenator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

ok thanks a mill, are either of them serious and can i keep driving it til i get it over to the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,323 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When the light is on, the battery is not being charged, so it will eventually go completely flat. Depends on how much you drive in the meantime, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well if reving makes the light go out, the belt must be still there. I would say dodgy alternator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

mickdw is right, the belt is working fine if you can rev the engine like that.

Get it fixed. I had the same problem once and thought I could make it somewhere. On my way home one night, the electronics in my car started failing one-by-one. My radio, then tachometer, then speedometer, everything all the way until eventually my headlights turned off. The battery had run out. The motor was working fine, but when I pulled over to look, I opened the door, the lights inside blinked on, then off, the car died and I needed a tow and a ride home.

It's a quick fix, and not really that expensive (compared to other things), so it's worth checking out before its too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Loose fan belt or faulty altenator.

+1.

There is also the possibility that it could be an electronic fault.

But if it's the belt or the alternator and you don't get it seen to, you'll know soon enough as very shortly there won't be any electric current. Nine times out ten this will happen when you attempt to start the van as the starter requires the most current so will usually be the first to suffer. If you do long distance driving then it may just 'sit down'.

Best advice is have it checked ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Have a look at the fan belt - push it, it should bow slighty but there shouldn't be any slack. If there is slack, and it flexes I'd suggest it's either the tensioner or belt itself. If there isn't any slack or flex then it's possibly the alternator itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

andreac wrote: »

The engine does sound little bit different and im just wondering is it serious?

Thanks

What kind of sound ? If it is a sharp screech on accelaration it could be a slipping fan belt, if it is a whine or a growling / grating sound the end bearing in the alternator might be shot & needs to be sorted asap 'cos it may seize or do more damage

well it died on me yest at lunch, went to start it and it wouldnt. So the garage came out to collect it so im hoping they will let me know what it is and that its not too serious. thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,323 ✭✭✭✭Esel

... can i keep driving it til i get it over to the garage?
    well it died on me yest at lunch, went to start it and it wouldnt.
    So, you just kept driving it then? Why did you bother asking for advice if you were just going to ignore it?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel,
    the garage couldnt take it in til the day it died on me, was meant to bring it back the day before but they had no replacement car for me and told me to keep driving and if anything happened i had to phone them, which i did.They sent out replacement car and a recovery truck to take van away.

So to answer your question, no i didnt ignore you, i had no other choice but to keep driving it as thats what they told me to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ei0675

So any result on this? my light has come on too and all works but to be honest first thing i thought was altenator... am i right? how much are we talking to put right??

Advertisement