Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Civic diesel now available to buy

Options
  • 23-07-2008 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

From the Irish Independent.

Pity it's so pricey, but still a very wise addition to the Civic range.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Thats about 3k too expensive...pity because it would be a very nice car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Mad money for a Civic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That makes it more expensive than the Hybrid.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Too expensive. For another €2k or €3k you can get a Legacy diesel.

Seems to confirm that Honda have little or no interest in the Irish car market.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wish Honda would take over distribution in Ireland themselves :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Can anyone see Diesel Hot Hatches making up the numbers.

Honda Civic i-CDTI (138bhp)
    Skoda Octavia VRS TDI (170bhp)
    Golf GT TDI (140bhp)
    Opel Astra S/H (150bhp)

I love diesel cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

This was inevitable - but I don't see it as too expensive. You get a lot of kit for your money. Bear in mind the Civic has gone up range from the old 1.4i 3 door hatch-backs. (it's only €1000 dearer than the 3 dr 1.8)

Also re the Hybrid, this isn't in the same class of car so I don't think you can compare the two. The hybrid is really designed for mainly City driving and the odd journey, the diesel is the motorway mile muncher. If I wanted to cross the continent I wouldn't be taking the hybrid.

Diesel hot-hatches, don't know about the others, but Honda certainly are pitching this as their hot-hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Looks bad value, particularly in comparison with the Legacy which is a class bigger, has a decent level of kit and permanent 4wd.

However if i was changing ATM I'd definetely be tgaking a look. Only thing is the ride is supposed to be compromised, very hard. That wouldn't do for the roads I travel.

I'm really pleased they've made it available, the new CO2 rules really are a step forward...

It's by no means a hot hatch by today's definition. 8.4 sec to 60 was Mk 4 Golf GTI class and that's over 10 years old.

Hybrid, being a saloon, is a bigger car so more of a long journey car than the hatchback, imo. I've don't some 500 mile journey's in ours' and found them very comfortable.

Diesel will win hands down if it comes to towing caravans or livestock etc.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Hybrid, being a saloon, is a bigger car so more of a long journey car than the hatchback, imo. I've don't some 500 mile journey's in ours' and found them very comfortable.

Diesel will win hands down if it comes to towing caravans or livestock etc.

While I don't doubt the Saloon version is comfortable, bear in mind the hatchback is a five door and has the same cabin space as the hybrid (the boot is bigger on the hybrid, as is the engine bay). So the 5 door Civic is still a cruiser.

As for motorway muncher, you're comparing the diesel with 340Nm or torque versus 166Nm of torque (saloon vs hatch) - the diesel's output in this case is more useable. I am a bigger fan of power than torque but for the type of car this is better match. The hybrid has less torque and less power

All of this where the diesel and hyrbid do 4.3 lt/100km in the extra urban cycle, and to boot the hybrid is still more expensive.

I'll have the diesel please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

138bhp from a 2.2 litre diesel these days is pretty poor to be honest so it is definately not a hot diesel hatch version. Designed for low emmissions it looks to me.

jayok wrote: »
    bear in mind the hatchback is a five door and has the same cabin space as the hybrid
    They're not the same size as their height and width are different for starters. But anyhow...
    As for motorway muncher,
    You don't need torque or power for motorway driving... You need leg room and lumbar support. Very little effort is required to keep a car moving. I have no doubt as well as pulling loads the diesel would probably be better for overtaking on back roads.
    All of this where the diesel and hyrbid do 4.3 lt/100km in the extra urban cycle, and to boot the hybrid is still more expensive.
    :confused: Hybrid is €26,325 after the rebate, the diesel is €27,995. The hybrid is quite a bit cheaper to run too.

I'd like to trade my 1.8 Civic for one having driven the accord with the same diesel engine. Despite having pretty much the same power output, the torque of the diesel is great fun. However I'll hang on to the petrol Civic for another couple of years given the price of the diesel one and the fact that I don't to intergalactic mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

kluivert wrote: »
    Can anyone see Diesel Hot Hatches making up the numbers.

Honda Civic i-CDTI (138bhp)
    Skoda Octavia VRS TDI (170bhp)
    Golf GT TDI (140bhp)
    Opel Astra S/H (150bhp)

I love diesel cars.

Id also love to see more diesel hot hatches, i wish we cold get the 180 bhp 2.2 auris that they have in the uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

0-60 in 8 seconds is still fairly hot. I'd be interested if it was a few K cheaper.

A bunch of guys on a Civic forum I frequent have got their 2.2s remapped to 170-190bhp. nice...

They're not the same size as their height and width are different for starters. But anyhow...

True - the hatcback is taller and wider than the saloon. Perhaps it has more cabin space or better sound insulation?
    You don't need torque or power for motorway driving... You need leg room and lumbar support. Very little effort is required to keep a car moving. I have no doubt as well as pulling loads the diesel would probably be better for overtaking on back roads.

You need both power and torque for motorway driving. Take a 1 litre Micra on a long run and tell me its the same experience as the Civic Diesel - you can't.
    And yes, if you're pulling loads the Civic diesel would be better. A high-powered, low torque car such as a 1.6 VTi (:D) doing 4k rpm at 75 mph isn't exactly cruising.
    :confused: Hybrid is €26,325 after the rebate, the diesel is €27,995. The hybrid is quite a bit cheaper to run too.

According to Honda.ie the cost of the Hybrid including the rebate is 28,800 odd. Don't see the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The reviews of the civic diesel said the accord was more fefined using the diesel block. It sounded like the accord had better capacity for it ,maybe they've changed things in the last year or so.

I think they had to shrink the engine a bit to fit it in the Civic's tiny engine bay alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Warm hatch with a useful amount of torque. Shame there about 10 years to late, and with what $ubaru are offering way of the mark with prices. Engine is supposed to be very quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Id also love to see more diesel hot hatches, i wish we could get the 180 bhp 2.2 auris that they have in the uk

+1. The new VRT system means it's high time for fast diesel hatches and the like to arrive here.

Not because I particularly like diesel(far from it in fact as regular readers of this forum will know), but because a petrol hot hatch would now ruin you for depreciation and would be dearer to buy as well.

The new rules mean they can be much more sensibly priced too.

I'd have the diesel Civic over the hybrid Civic every time.

We know diesels actually live up to their mpg expectations, while the oil burner's 135 bhp and 0-100 in 8.6 seconds easily beats the hybrid's 115 bhp and leisurely 0-100 in 11.5 seconds.

I also much prefer the look of the hatchback to the saloon, and the diesel has a manual gearbox over the hybrid's CVT box, meaning it would be much more involving to drive too. The saloon is designed for the Japanese/US market, while the hatchback was designed for Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

There is a high powered auris in galway for sale I think. I was going to go for it ,but I can imagine been pulled over at the top of hill somewhere :eek::D

True - the hatcback is taller and wider than the saloon. Perhaps it has more cabin space or better sound insulation?
    Perhaps. Perhaps it's the hybrid that has thinner and lighter doors?
    You need both power and torque for motorway driving. Take a 1 litre Micra on a long run and tell me its the same experience as the Civic Diesel - you can't.
    Don't be ridiculous. Micra is a very small car, and not comparable. Otoh, you need about what, 20bhp for motorway driving?
    And yes, if you're pulling loads the Civic diesel would be better. A high-powered, low torque car such as a 1.6 VTi (:D) doing 4k rpm at 75 mph isn't exactly cruising.
    Huh? What's that got to do with anything?
    According to Honda.ie the cost of the Hybrid including the rebate is 28,800 odd. Don't see the confusion.
    That website has all the old prices, and mentions the 50% rebate. Remember that? No point in quoting historic prices. Check SIMI's site for current prices.

Perhaps. Perhaps it's the hybrid that has thinner and lighter doors?

Perhaps. My point here was that the comfortable saloon wasn't bigger. You brought this one up.

Don't be ridiculous. Micra is a very small car, and not comparable. Otoh, you need about what, 20bhp for motorway driving?

True the Micra is a different car, be I was demonstrating a smaller engine working hard to deliver reasonable performance / speed. I've no idea what power / torque would be required to maintain speed as I'm sure it varies on so many conditions (road, wind, load, etc) but there's more to motorway driving that sitting at 130 km/hr, there's getting there, slowing down, general comfort of the driving.

Huh? What's that got to do with anything?

Nothing. But it's just a relevant as your post about the diesel and towing.

That website has all the old prices, and mentions the 50% rebate. Remember that? No point in quoting historic prices. Check SIMI's site for current prices.

Fair enough - my mistake for quoting the distributor for the cost. The hybrid is €1,400 cheaper.

Advertisement