Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NY State passes video game law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I actually think this is a good thing.

If after these new game ratings come in, a kid in NY blows his school up and the media blame it on a video game, can the publisher not say, but it had a rating of 18s, what was he doing playing it?

Course thats exactly what should be happening now..? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ah bloomberg, ruining new york one law at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I thought all games already have this? Im sure any time i pick up a violent game there is a rating on it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Game labels on games just makes sense, no?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Saruman wrote: »
    I thought all games already have this? Im sure any time i pick up a violent game there is a rating on it.

Its self regulated, and is not written in law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Saruman wrote: »
    its labels isn't it?

Is it like the films - age rating but also a label saying contains sex/violence etc etc?

From my reading of it it's not compulsary ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

is it any different from having age ratings on games we have here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Unless its like the label on cigarette packets:

"Gaming kills!"

"May cause violent outbursts... and heart disease"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

"May make young men sterile"

"Will not attract chics"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

A woman in Game on Dawson ST (or was it EB at the time?) wouldn't give me Tomb Raider 3 becasue it had an ELSPA thing of 15 or 16 I think.

I tried to tell her it was onlt a guideline and not law like a 15s or 18s and told her Id just get it from Grafton st if she didnt.

She didnt so I did.

Also, I bought the San Andreas guide from Game on Henry street and was asked how old I was, I was like....20...why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

While it may not be law it's store policy so she can't sell it to someone under age without risking her job.
    I don't think any games should have ratings of 18+. As long as gta is kept out of the hands of little kids then its fine. It comes down to the parents anyway. If a kid manages to get hold of a game they shouldn't then their parents should be the one's that notice and intervene. Blaming the games companies is a cop out of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

noodler wrote: »
    A woman in Game on Dawson ST (or was it EB at the time?) wouldn't give me Tomb Raider 3 becasue it had an ELSPA thing of 15 or 16 I think.

I tried to tell her it was onlt a guideline and not law like a 15s or 18s and told her Id just get it from Grafton st if she didnt.

She didnt so I did.

Also, I bought the San Andreas guide from Game on Henry street and was asked how old I was, I was like....20...why?

You obviously look like a child, so were asked for proof of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fear.
    They think you're a homicidal maniac after playing all them VIDJA GAMES about baby-raping prostitute-murderers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Fear.
    They think you're a homicidal maniac after playing all them VIDJA GAMES about baby-raping prostitute-murderers.

Hmmmm I am indeed interested in your baby-raping prostitute-murderers game.

When is it released and how much shall it be

I need to get lessons to become a more efficient rapist/murderer.

Kids should not play inappropriate games etc, we all agree on this. It would be easier if the stores asked everyone for id when buying them though. That way a person who looked older might not get the game by using saved pocket money behind their parents back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vegeta wrote: »
    It would be easier if the stores asked everyone for id when buying them though. That way a person who looked older might not get the game by using saved pocket money behind their parents back.

They do this all the time in america no matter what age you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I always thought of the old ratings thing on the back of games as more of a guideline as to what age groups would be able to manage it.

Tomb Raider for Fecks sake?

I do look child like, every bouncer in Ireland asks me for ID.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd personally have absolutely no problem with the Film Censor board (for example) rating games that makes it law rather than the guideline tags on the back AS LONG AS it didn't delay the release in any way, shape or form. I would also like to see useless parents getting prosecuted for every time their kids watch a film or play a game that is outside of their age group. Similarly, I'd like to see shops that sell to underage kids prosecuted.

I don't think any right minded adult can have a problem with these sorts of things - it's not censorship to have things rated by their content. It is censorship to ban them for their content though and I'm firmly against that (in any form).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Kharn wrote: »
    I'd personally have absolutely no problem with the Film Censor board (for example) rating games that makes it law rather than the guideline tags on the back AS LONG AS it didn't delay the release in any way, shape or form. I would also like to see useless parents getting prosecuted for every time their kids watch a film or play a game that is outside of their age group. Similarly, I'd like to see shops that sell to underage kids prosecuted.

I don't think any right minded adult can have a problem with these sorts of things - it's not censorship to have things rated by their content. It is censorship to ban them for their content though and I'm firmly against that (in any form).

+1

The parental lockout function on consoles will further shift blame to where it should be right now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Was Manhunt 2 banned in NY State? I taught it wasn't too bad, although it was disturbing and wierd for the most part.

Advertisement