Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 year old trespassing

• 23-07-2008 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

would anyone have any sound advice as to what to do with a 10 year old breaking into the back garden on a daily basis and damaging property. Parents deny its their child and gards log a report, and then the story goes on as usuall.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Video camera time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Get a big nasty looking savage dog.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

better fence/wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Definitely camera time. Video preferably, but normal otherwise. Take as many photos as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ann123

a wall has been built. didnt work.

• Advertisement

And I'm away during the day which means there is no one at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭goodlad

zAbbo wrote: »
    Video camera time

+1!

Set one up nice so its nice and hidden with a clear view of the garden. The watch the parents faces when you show them the recording! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You can set up a motion sensor camera. If you have broadband and know what you are doing you can even stream it to a webpage.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=325672
    You can then burn it off to cd and send to the parents (and guards) if needed.

A camera has been set already, but all I have recorded so far is himself jumping over the wall into the garden.No damage recorded. Gards spoke to parents. Story goes on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Aldi or Lidl had these on special not s long ago. Wireless, battery operated and they automatically emailed you snapshots and i think could upload footage too and can be streamed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Consider staying home for a day, but out of sight. Set up something cheap but breakable in clear view of the camera.

Or anti-vandal paint.

Or prosecution for trespass or an injunction - both might mean getting a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Injunction would be way to go IMHO legally speaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is a 10 year old going to take any heed of an injunction?

He will when his parents get punished for contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Yup - target the parenting problem at source ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Borrow a friends dog for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

a nasty letter from a solicitor threatening legal action addressed to his parents should do it.

failing that, put up a nice bit of barbed wire.

personally I'd go for the solicitor, but it's up to your discretion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

ann, I was in your situation for a couple of years and I feel your pain. I had a bunch of scumbags in my garden, breaking into my shed, car and house. (The glory of being female and living on my own!)Surprise surprise the Guards were reluctant to do anything about it because most of the scumbags were under 16!!!!!
    Anyhow my love I will give you the benefit of my experience.

1. assuming your wall is 5' or over, seal the top of your wall with a sealant. It can be a special concrete sealent or just a varnish. (I did this very early in the morning)

2. Burglar paint is the best invention for these wee sh1ts!! On ce the wall is sealed the paint is there forever. Coming on for 18 months later its still doing the job.

This action was carried out with the full support and guidence of the local community guard. IMO 10 year olds are not going to pay heed to legal action. ... and yes it worked like a charm.:) good luck

actually just wanted to add that you can stretch out the burglar paint with painting sections with old engine oil. it just wont last as long

axel rose wrote: »
    old engine oil.
    Bad idea on environmental grounds.

• Advertisement

Fair point victor. Generally I am more responsible. Hell- it wrecked a couple of tracksuits!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Photographing a ten year old child without parents' consent could be misinterpreted.

An injunction involves some expense. Also as one poster pointed out, it would not bind a 10 year old. Could be served on his parents, but do you want to live on there with the consequences of that.

Can you not improve your fence.? You may, unless there is a covenant in your deeds re fencing, build a fence up to about 5 feet without planning permission.

nuac wrote:
    Photographing a ten year old child without parents' consent could be misinterpreted.
    I think you very much have the wrong end of the stick here. The child's photograph wouldn't be taken if the child wasn't trespassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Victor wrote: »
    I think you very much have the wrong end of the stick here. The child's photograph wouldn't be taken if the child wasn't trespassing.

You could also say, that the childs photogragh wouldn't be taken if they didn't step out in public. However, it seems to me the parents aren't doing anything to stop the child, so your going to have to set-up the camera and tell the parents (Maybe in writing, keep a copy). Then proceed to set-up the camera. If he comes back, your have proof. However, it is very tedious as your going to have to keep the camera on and constantly check the camera. Do the parents not believe that their child is entering your property and vandalising your stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

in this situation as already said your only way to get this sorted is to get stone cold proof.

the only way to do this is to setup decent cameras which will prove beyond doubt that it is their child.

the parents are obviously as bad as the child so they know there is nothing that can be done unless you have proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Similar situation here.

Phoned the guards and asked if I was within my rights to put up barbed wire.

They said yes but they wouldn't advise it as the tiprats could sue me.

I asked if I could get hold of them and restrain them. They advised against it as they could have a knife etc.

I asked what could I do then - they suggested calling the guards is the only option - but they'd have to catch them at it to do anything about it.

Can I restrain one of the tiprats until the guards come or could I be done for false imprisonment/assault or anything like that ?

What a sorry state this place is in ! Hopefully the little sh!tes will be back to school soon. Its worse in summer hols and when weather is ok. Bring on winter !

In the meantime will look at the video camera option - but mostly done during dark. Like the idea of burgular paint - where wopuld i get this ?

englander wrote: »
    Can I restrain one of the tiprats until the guards come or could I be done for false imprisonment/assault or anything like that ?
    I imagine its possible. The only grounds for holding them would be a (citizen's) arrest. However for such an arrest, it needs to be a serious offence - one carrying a potential sentence of 5 year. However, the highest penalty for trespass is a €3,000 fine.
    Like the idea of burgular paint - where wopuld i get this ?
    Try hardware shops and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Some of the remedies suggested here are ( pardon the pun ) off the wall.

Citizens arrest? of a 10 year old, for trespass?. Don't even think about. You could be sued for false imprisonment. Citizens arrest is I think a term imported from the US. I can't recall that there are any Irish statutes or decided cases authorising it.

barbed wire on a garden boundary? - I think there are regulations re use of barbed wire and as already stated you may be open to legal action if someone is hurt on it.

Special paints? be sure they don't contain anything toxic.

legal action - injunctions etc - can be very expensive.

Sugggestion: try to talk to the parents of the offender. If that doesnt work each Garda District has officers dealing with young people - Juvenile Liason Officers or similar title. Ask for such help

• Registered Users Posts: 8 o'grainne

Hi, One can purchase anti climb paint. It is black and gooey like tar and does not set. Paint this on the wall and when he climbs it he will not like the result on his hands and cloths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

had something similiar years ago - got my hands on some cow pats and spread them along the lawn, then put some brambles over them - all in the good interests of fertilising the lawn of course!!! Also planted some lovely thorny plants which grew up the wall to stop future visitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Shame the guards aren't able to clip the little ****s around the ear anymore. How about doing like some else said and take the day off work and waych for him. But keep a bucket of Jeyes flood handy. Not your fault he just happened to vault over your wall while you were demossing your footpath.

Advertisement