Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF: Stage 17 - Alpe d'Huez

Options
  • 23-07-2008 10:47am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hard to call a winner today given that the favourites will probably be more concerned with watching eachother than chasing a stage win. Really depends on who's in the break I guess. You can bet CSC will go nuts on the Alpe, since its their last chance to win the Tour, but can they put enough time into Evans and Menchov to give them a cushion for the TT?

Oh, and go easy on the spoilers. Some of us are watching it tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am for little brother Schleck today. Go Andy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm going for a Schleck win -one of 'em has too -it's my bonus stage and I need the points! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I am for little brother Schleck today. Go Andy!

Ah, but do you think CSC will release him from pace setting duties to go for the win? He looked pretty busy pulling the leaders' bunch on the final climbs in the last two stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    Hard to call a winner today given that the favourites will probably be more concerned with watching eachother than chasing a stage win. Really depends on who's in the break I guess. You can bet CSC will go nuts on the Alpe, since its their last chance to win the Tour, but can they put enough time into Evans and Menchov to give them a cushion for the TT?

What were CSC hoping to achieve yesterday? The hard ascent didn't get rid of Evans or Menchov (although he did for himself on the descent) or even Kohl. I suppose Vandevelde was ousted. If Evans can make it through today, I think the tour is his for the taking.
    Oh, and go easy on the spoilers. Some of us are watching it tonight.

Can't stress this enough. Whoever mentioned Menchov in yesterdays thread, SHAME ON YOU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Raam wrote: »
    What were CSC hoping to achieve yesterday? The hard ascent didn't get rid of Evans or Menchov (although he did for himself on the descent) or even Kohl. I suppose Vandevelde was ousted. If Evans can make it through today, I think the tour is his for the taking.

Can't stress this enough. Whoever mentioned Menchov in yesterdays thread, SHAME ON YOU.

I'd imagine they were thinking that if they got time on Evans he could make it up on the descent so possibly holding a lot in reserve for today? I don't know - maybe they should've been more aggressive on the climb and made evans take risks on the descent.

Anyway - should be a great stage today. Evans isn't looking great - from his position on the bike yesterday he looked like that shoulder might be acting up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Exactly. Andy and Jens must be superhuman or pretty tired at this stage. Evans just needs to keep the gaps down today and the Tour is his. Menchov probably needs to attack Evans though, which should make things interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i'm hoping that csc go batshít on evans today. if voigt and cancellara are strong today they can really push the pace on the first 2 climbs and hopefully leave evans without much support.

i think they'd be better off trying to hurt him on the croix-de-fer rather than waiting for l'alpe. if they can drop evans on the croix he might get back by the bottom of the alp but they might have done enough damage that he wouldn't be able to respond to another serious attack by the schleks. i think they can make him blow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Ah, but do you think CSC will release him from pace setting duties to go for the win? He looked pretty busy pulling the leaders' bunch on the final climbs in the last two stages.

I have no idea :D it's not really worth it putting me on the spot, I haven't a clue. But looking at all his effort I think he deserves to be given the stage ...and I am certain his mum agrees too.
    I am sure Voigt and Sastre are still strong enough to lead the team up the top of the 'hill' hehehe.

Go Andy :)

If I'm going to try and call a winner I'd say that Liquigas will want to get the white jersey back off Andy Schleck. Nibali or Kreuzinger could attack today while he's busy looking after big brother.

Anyone got a link for a streaming video in English? Justin TV have removed their feeds after pressure from the ASO, and the time difference between the Eurosport Audio and video feeds is driving me crazy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

I'm going to plump for Menchov - not normally the most attacking but after his time loss yesterday I reckon he needs to pull at least 40 seconds back on Evans pre Sat's TT...

Maybe Big George will want it. He didn't miss out by much yesterday. Does he have it in the legs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Big George? He hasn’t a hope!! I cant understand what people see in him. He is a very average rider. Too big to hurl himself up L’alpe.

Gone downhill since his postal days. I wonder why that is now??

Maybe Big George will want it. He didn't miss out by much yesterday. Does he have it in the legs?

Snowball's chance in hell. He'd need an Eros Poli style lead to win on the Alpe
    dedon wrote: »
    Big George? He hasn’t a hope!! I cant understand what people see in him. He is a very average rider. Too big to hurl himself up L’alpe. Gone downhill since his postal days. I wonder why that is now??

He's a classics rider, not a stage racer.

Snowball's chance in hell. He'd need an Eros Poli style lead to win on the Alpe

He's a classics rider, not a stage racer.
    domestique in my opinion

Of course a French rider would be gagging to win this one as well. Di Gregorio might be one to watch after his exploits on the Tourmalet, but he's still a young fella and I doubt if he's got the legs left for it.

Fine, I think George will come last. Are yis happy now?

domestique in my opinion

He's won Gent Wevelgem and Kuurne Brussels Kuurne. On the podium at Paris Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders. He's a bit more than a domestique in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

approx what time will they be approaching the summit of the major climb ?

He's won Gent Wevelgem and Kuurne Brussels Kuurne. On the podium at Paris Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders. He's a bit more than a domestique in fairness.
    I don’t include any of his achievements during his time at Postal Service

• Advertisement

approx what time will they be approaching the summit of the major climb ?

The Tour website (www.letour.fr) publishes anticpated times for key points on all the stages. For today's stage, it reckons they'll be hitting the Alpe sometime between 4 and 4:30 our time. Remember, they're an hour ahead over there.

Fine, I think George will come last. Are yis happy now?

He came 5th (or there abouts) yesterday...

I don’t include any of his achievements during his time at Postal Service

Apply that logic and a lot of people didn't have a classics career.

He came 5th (or there abouts) yesterday...

Cos he was in the break and it wasn't a mountain top finish.

Apply that logic and a lot of people didn't have a classics career.

I apply such logic to any performance of a rider that achieved such a performance while with Postals. I dont thust any of them

Ah lads, please, no more, we've had enough on other threads. This is about today's stage and what is gonna happen today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Schleck Snr has to make a move today like, be interesting to see how CSC plan this since everything is a team effort, that could be the controlling factor in todays winner.

I apply such logic to any performance of a rider that achieved such a performance while with Postals. I dont thust any of them

If you think they were the only team doping at that time, you're in for a big disappointment.

Valverdre for me!!

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    Schleck Snr has to make a move today like, be interesting to see how CSC plan this since everything is a team effort, that could be the controlling factor in todays winner.

By my reckoning he needs to put four minutes into Evans today. That's huge for one stage.

Advertisement