Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Hill 2

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The character from Silent Hill 2 is pretty much a dead ringer for Sean Bean. Hes looking for his wife (they explain this as the first part of the story before you even move, so its not a spoiler). I wonder if they intend to make a Silent Hill 2 movie with him as the main character instead of the useless guy.

Screenshot from game beginning in the public toilet mirror.

SH2jamesMirror.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Hey. Im about to buy it. Only place I can find it cheap is ebay. Playtrade prices are 20e up

Is there a difference between the original and the platinum versions? Any preference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

noodler wrote: »
    Is there a difference between the original and the platinum versions? Any preference?
    Different box, same game I would imagine...

I have 2 on the pc but never got around to playing it... Might try to find a PS2 or Xbox version instead (would much rather veg out on the couch with this kind of game)

Erm... What's the difference between the 2 xbox versions? (restless dreams and inner fears)
    I'm guessing inner fears is the pal version, but only restless dreams is listed on the backwards compatibility list...

Oh well from the little research I have done, it appears to be a 2-disc version in a prettier box for the original!

The platinum is also called the Director's cut. Tis why Im asking.

No worries, someone will answer soon.

Trying to get it for next to nothing. Stupid ebay auctions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not entirely sure but the platinum version might have the extra maria bits that were in the xbox and PC versions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure but the platinum version might have the extra maria bits that were in the xbox and PC versions.

Yeah, there's a short game with Maria. If I were to get a copy of the game now, it would be the Director's Cut (which has this) or the Platinum (also with the Maria scenario) it's just a little extra bit, but it's cool, and adds a little more to the story. Although you may end up as confused as you were before. Or disturbed.

Also, just remebered. The difference between the Director's Cut and the Platinum - DC has a cooler box with some artwork inside it. That's all.

Just finished this so prepare for MASSIVE SPOLIERZ.....

Wow. Another game that seriously picks up pace in the last third. For me it was a bit so so until you got out of the Hospital but really picks up (the first time) when Maria gets killed. I hate to see it but Retro completely ruined the twist for me somewhere (can't remember if it was this thread) when he said something like 'a great game showing a a guilty man's descent into madness'.

Im not entriely sure what Angela did wrong tho, like what drew her to da Hill? That piano piece that plays in the Lobby after PH kills Maria the first time is eery. What else?.....Oh yeah at the end Mary keeps going on about being sorry for what SHE did to James. Was she just talking in terms of being sick and taking up all his time or was their something I missed?

Very good game. Bit short, controls and combat are fiddly and the bosses are too easy (on normal anyway). But very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You can use the spoiler tags to block out your spoilers (if you go to advanced edit of your post, you'll see the little black box with spoiler written in it, beside the youtube icon. Or you can use [html]
    [/html]).

There's a few different endings to get so you don't have to worry about it being short, you can go back and do it again differently to get the others.

Now, it's a while since I played the games, but I think
    Angela was molested by her father and ended up killing him. Silent Hill somehow draws people to it and kind of gives them a chance for redemption. I'm not sure if they need a connection to the town in the first place. Angela was given the chance to find peace, but what had happened to her in the past and what she had done had driven her pretty much insane and so she was locked in a cycle and trapped in the town, most likely never to escape.

As for Mary, I think she is appologising for being such a burden to James. I can't remember if it's stated, or implied, that James couldn't take it anymore and had killed Mary, under the strain. That's why he was brought to Silent Hill, to find some sort of closure.

Spoiler
    Yeah it was quite exlplicit when you watch the videotape in fairness!

What are the names of the other endings?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did think saying that would have given away the twist in the story sorry :/

You can find all the other endings on youtube. In Water is my favourite and I think most fans take that one as the true ending since it fits in with the game a whole lot more. Be sureto check out the secret dog ending it's hilarious especially the song that plays over the credits.
    I think Mary apologising was her way of telling james that despite killing her she still loved him

It's really nnot a game that excels in gameplay but the plot is just wonderful and multilayered and the atmosphere the game creates is very creepy and depressing.

• Advertisement

So theres Leave, which I got.
    In water, Rebirth and the Dog one. Is that right?

Ill check em out now.

noodler wrote: »
    Spoiler
    Yeah it was quite exlplicit when you watch the videotape in fairness!

What are the names of the other endings?
    lol, I don't even remember that. I must go back and play it one of these days.

There's six endings, I think. 4 serious and 2 joke endings. There's one where
    you go off with Maria instead of Mary
    and I'm not sure if I'm just getting it mixed up with the first one, but isn't there a UFO ending too?

No your right, Im looking throught the proper ones now. They seem exactly the same as each other bar a minute of different footage in each one. Wiki SH2 and they say (along with Retro) that the In Water one is probly the rigt one cos it is apparently mentioned in SH4 that James and Mary never came ack from their trip. I have SH1 upsatirs, regret not having the pateince to paly through that first!

Can't fint he dog ending in english. Does it exist?

Crazy ****.
    Woof WooWoof, WOoof, woof, woof wooof woff, wuff wuff wuf wuf wuff

SH2 is separate from the rest of the games in the series. SH1 and SH3 tie in together and SH4 tries to tie them together but is really a separate game as well (it was originally in development as a different series). SH1 and 3 have stories that are more typical of survival horror games with silent hill having something to do with ancient indian burial sites or something like that. SH2 is far better since the story is far more abstract, concerning itself with the characters rather than what silent hill is.

As for the Dog ending, youaren't missing much. James just walks in and says in the cheesiest way possible 'so it was you all along!'.

If anyone is looking for the 'videotape' on youtube there's an uncut version on youtube. It was cut in the original release but I think was introduced in subsequent ones. I'm almost sure my reviewer copy has it uncut as well.
    The added soundeffects make it obvious just what happened

I know I played it more recently and I was kind of expecting the twist but I dunno how anyone missed it!

To be honest, I just watched the uncut version and the screams are a bit much for a person who is sposed to be that sick, they don't sound very muffled and sound more like she was hacked to death or something! Still chilling tho!

Also, how is James not in prison? Surely it would have been found she died of asphyxiation? Probably being a bit too harsh there tho!

I think it's one of those things you're not supposed to question. :D

Then again, with regards Silent Hill 4
    it says that James and Mary never left Silent Hill. So it seemslikely he killed her and himself and the game is set in a kind of purgatory, or maybe it's a hullucination during his dying moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 vic19

It really is a great game, a bit scary though :o

Tell me about it. I remember playing it when I was in college. Me and my flat mate were literally playing it from behind the sofa. Granted we were pissed off our heads at the time, but it added to the effect!

Advertisement