Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the etiquette for a member of the viewing public in a court?

• 23-07-2008 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi, just a matter of curiosity really. I'd love to go to a court case, just to look at how it is conducted, etc. I was literally outside the door of a recent well known trial recently while in the courts on other business, but I wasn't sure whether it is permitted to just come and go as you please. Obviously I know that if you can come and go as you please, you should do so quietly and unobtrusively. But is there a requirement that any member public viewing the trial should be in the court at a certain time and not leave for the duration of the sitting? Also, is there a seperate entrance to the viewing gallery or similar seating area?

Any tips on viewing etiquette and/or rules would be great, thanks!:)

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

If it says in camera on the door then no entry. If not, you have a constitutional right to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

Thanks for the swift reply. I realise the in camera situation. I know we have a right to attend, rather I mean what are the conditions of that right, the polite way to do it if you know what I mean. If I were to arrive in late, is that a big court social no-no? That sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

No you can come and go as you please, just don't make too much noise and make sure your mobile is switched off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

God that'd be just the sort of absent minded thing I'd do!

Cheers guys, reliable as always!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Take no notes I think... - is that an Irish rule as well as a UK one? (I've only observed trials in UK)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

No, you can take notes if you want. If it's a big trial then there will be plenty of journos doing the same.

If your in Dublin then the Central Criminal Court is very entertaining when a big trial is being run. The chancery court is also very interesting, if you like that sort of thing. Keep in mind that the courts will be closing next week, the first week of next term isn't until October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    No, you can take notes if you want. If it's a big trial then there will be plenty of journos doing the same.

If your in Dublin then the Central Criminal Court is very entertaining when a big trial is being run. The chancery court is also very interesting, if you like that sort of thing. Keep in mind that the courts will be closing next week, the first week of next term isn't until October.

There are one or two District Court Justices - no names - who go epileptic with people taking notes in their court ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

UrbanFox wrote: »
    There are one or two District Court Justices - no names - who go epileptic with people taking notes in their court ! !
    Apopleptic maybe?

Advertisement