Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The turnabout

Options
  • 23-07-2008 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just a quick question re the turnabout, i have gone back a few pages and can't seem to find the answer.

Have my test tomorrow and a 2 hour pre test tonight, however one thing that I am left totally unsure about is when doing the turnabout, is it necessary to pull the handbrake up after each manouvre in order to look all around you or is your foot on the break o.k?
    I have had lessons with different instructors the last time I did the test and I got different answers.

Just wondering if anyone on here had any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You don't have to put the handbrake up, if you feel you prefer doing so then it's fine, but personally i think it's not that nessecary seeing that you'll only be stopped for a few seconds each time. In short there is no definite answer as it's really personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Excellent, i felt a bit silly pulling the handbrake up each time when there was no need i felt. I could see all around me perfectly in those couple of seconds it took to check.
    Just confused me trying to pull up the handbrake, look all around, then let it go again!
    Thanks for the reply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It MIGHT be a good idea to use the handbrake at times. For example if you're doing a turnabout on a road which dips off towards the curbs it's might be worth using the handbrake to hold the car and prevent it rolling into the curbs.

I used my handbrake on the test because I could do it so quickly that it didn't slow down the manoeuvre and it allowed me to look around without havin to worry about rolling. I did it without any faults too so it worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Hanley wrote: »
    it allowed me to look around without havin to worry about rolling.

Leaving your foot on the brake would have achieved this just as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Leaving your foot on the brake would have achieved this just as well.

Really??? :eek:

It also allowed me to work the clutch and get the revs up at the same time so I could complete the turn swiftly. I could probably have done that with the foot brake too... but I was born without a third foot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Handily enough you don't need three feet to not use the handbrake in a turnabout - with the brake pedal pressed (which incidentally provides a lot more holding power than the handbrake anyway), bring the clutch up to the bite point so the front of the car dips a little, off brake, car starts to move forward slowly, accelerate if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i'm learning on a automatic and just use the brake. thats ok right?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I picked up a Grade 2 fault for letting the car roll back slightly during my turnabout manoeuvre (it was a cambered road). I'd say use the handbrake to be on the safe side.
    i'm learning on a automatic and just use the brake. thats ok right?

Should be fine as automatic cars won't allow the car to roll back when you take your foot off the brake afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Stark wrote: »
    I picked up a Grade 2 fault for letting the car roll back slightly during my turnabout manoeuvre (it was a cambered road). I'd say use the handbrake to be on the safe side.

Should be fine as automatic cars won't allow the car to roll back when you take your foot off the brake afaik.

Yes that's true, for an auto transmission, there's absolutely no need for the handbrake. As said there is no requirement to use the handbrake, but if for example you find the road sloping off to the sides meaning there is a chance the car could roll you're more than entitled to use the handbrake. If you feel you need it, fire away, if not, no worries. There really is no difinite answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I just used the foot brake, let the clutch up while on the brake until the car wanted to move and then came off the brake and gave it a little gas.

Tried the same thing in an older car and it cut out..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

jessie1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just a quick question re the turnabout, i have gone back a few pages and can't seem to find the answer.

Have my test tomorrow and a 2 hour pre test tonight, however one thing that I am left totally unsure about is when doing the turnabout, is it necessary to pull the handbrake up after each manouvre in order to look all around you or is your foot on the break o.k?
    I have had lessons with different instructors the last time I did the test and I got different answers.

Just wondering if anyone on here had any advice? Thanks.
    YES always secure the car REGARDLESS of contrary advice. See http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=939 best L driving site imo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You shouldn't really need it. After the first part of the turn, when you go to reverse, unless you're unfortunate enough to be doing it on a hill or something, you won't need any revs, so the clutch only should really be fine for reversing it, so use the footbrake. Just take your foot off the brake at biting point, and after the reverse, unless its some sort of slope, the car shouldn't move if you've the clutch in once stopped, giving you time to get up the revs and get her moving forward again.

As I'm learning myself tho', I'm open to correction.. (as always!) but imo that seems right (in my mind anyway :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

On your test I'd put on the handbrake just to be safe - just incase you roll back like in Stark's case.

Advertisement