Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Pressure and Noisy Water Pump

Options
  • 23-07-2008 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi

we've been living in my new house since November.
    It is a 3 storey house which led to the water pressure in the top floor shower being reduced to a trickle.

We snagged this issue, so the builder put in a water pump to increase the pressure.
    The one draw back is that the pump is in the hot press beside our bedroom and is noisy.

This isn't a major issue but when we have guests staying and they are using the shower downstairs(which requires the pump to create adequate pressure) the noise of the pump wakes us up.

Can the pressure be increased without the use of a pump or can the pump be relocated to somwhere like the kitchen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

Hi, just wondering if you found a solution to your problem, we are experiencing the exact same problem? thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

Think it needs to be beside your cylinder.

Mine's the same...

I just got used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

This noisy pump issue keeps cropping up lately:) Try putting it on antivibration mounts. Much of the noise from pumps is transmitted through their mountings.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jconn

Its not really a vibration noise that is the problem; its more like a loud hairdryer noise coming from the hotpress.

I'm going to try and box it off with some kind of sound proof material, but obviously there will have to be holes for ventilation. So I dont really think its going to make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Clone

Does anybody know of a good anti vibration/ rubber matt to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

If the pump is bolted or screwed to the floor?
    Then if you place the rubber mounts' from an old washing machine under the bolts or screws this will help with the vibrations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It's not always the actual pump that causes the noise ,it can be the pipes resting against a partition wall.

If it's the pump ,the best thing to try is something really heavy ,like a piece of paving slab underneath the pump.
    The dead weight prevents any vibrations through the floor.

311 wrote: »
    If it's the pump ,the best thing to try is something really heavy ,like a piece of paving slab underneath the pump.
    The dead weight prevents any vibrations through the floor.
    i am not saying you are rong but
    If he dose this; will the vibrations’ that would normally travel along the floor; stay within the pump;
    Would these vibrations damage the pump in the long run ?

In all honesty ,are you saying that houses don't have concrete floors ?

I am presuming that the pump in on the second floor in the hot press
    Since when in use it wakes them

• Advertisement

copper12 wrote: »
    I am presuming that the pump in on the second floor in the hot press
    Since when in use it wakes them

You suggested that the pump would be damaged by vibrations of it resting on concrete ,not me.

311 wrote: »
    You suggested that the pump would be damaged by vibrations of it resting on concrete ,not me.
    and your comment is ? that it would not dammage the pump

I believe the vibrations would not damage the pump.

If a device were suceptable to damage from its own operation it would make it pointless. Maybe after some time it will need a few screws/bolts tightened, but I think these are usually dampened too to stop this from happening.

The pump vibrates regardless, its about isolating the vibrations from the rest of the material in the house.

Clone wrote: »
    The pump vibrates regardless, its about isolating the vibrations from the rest of the material in the house.

I would agree maybe when the pump was fitted there should have been some material similar to the picture below that was not fitted
    At the best of times they are noise and I don’t think you would eliminate this completely
    Not enough to let you sleep if it were close to the bedroom
    hypump100rza5.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Moznips

Hi

don't know if you have sorted this issue out but i moved into apts 2 years ago and had been having the same problem. i got a guy to call over and put a soundproofing material around the pump. This didn't do much to be honest so i gave him the go-ahead to open up the wall adjacent to my storage room. he could see the pipes coming out from the pump and advised that as the pipes were clipped to the wall, the noise was actually not the pump i was hearing but the noise from the water running through the pipes. he detached the pipes from the wall, sealed the partition wall with soudproofing material and now we all can sleep.
    hope this info helps - if you need the name of the guy who did the work please pm me.

Paula

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like the total soundproofing option is the way to tackle it properly.

Advertisement