Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pill in Thailand

Options
  • 23-07-2008 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

You can buy yasmin over the counter in boots in thailand and its much cheaper than at home.I have been on it for two years now and have never had problems with it.My sister is there and just texted to ask if she should buy some for me and bring it home. do you think there is anything dodgy about getting the pill in boots in thailand (Koh Samui)? do you think it will be the same as the one at home? has anyone gotten it there before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

For me personally i wouldn't be taking any chances like that - wouldn't want to have to do the explaining down the line to a son/daughter 'well, mammy and daddy liked each other very much, and your auntie had brought mammy back some dodgy pills from thailand....'.

Also, it's not really that expensive in Ireland - is it? The pricey bit is the medical monitoring, paying for the appointments to have blood pressure checked, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

personally i wouldnt risk it either. i also take yasmin and it is a more expensive pill than the likes of microlite but its not as expensive as raising a baby!!!

medicine is different the world over. i was sick while on hols in lanzarote and bought antibiotics over the counter after seeing the doctor. when i came home i was still unwell and went to see my doc here who told me the strength of the tablets i was taking was twice as high as he'd have prescribed and it was no wonder id been feeling worse.

not worth it i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 corcors

Thailand has totally legit pharmacies including numerous Boots outlets. I stacked up on yasmin when i was there last year and the pharmicist had a good chat with me before I bought it and I ain't raising no baby so I'd say go for it.

And the pill is expensive I think yasmin is €12 a pack which is €70 for a 6 month supply never mind the docs fee :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

corcors wrote: »
    And the pill is expensive I think yasmin is €12 a pack which is €70 for a 6 month supply never mind the docs fee :mad:

While i think the pill should be free, 12 euro once a month is 3 euro a week - that's 2 Dublin bus fares, or less than a Eddie Rockets hamburger. Yes, the cost of the doctors visit is high (some places have practice nurses who do the blood pressure check on repeat prescriptions, which is cheaper), but it's the kind of thing that i wouldn't be skimping money on.

I'll grumble about the cost - but when it comes to my health i'll pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

I'll grumble about the cost - but when it comes to my health i'll pay up.

cant agree with you more!
    bought yasmin yesterday in a well known pharmacy....€13.48 for one. expensive yes but as people have said before not as expensive as raising a child for a month.

yes the doctor appointments can be expensive but reaslistically we should really be checked over by a doc twice a year anyway and if you can couple a repeat prescription with a visit for another reason it'd 2 birds with one stone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭smilingeyerish

yeah i was thinkin that surely its the same manufacturer for yasmin all over the world and it would have to be the same, and if its in boots surely they are legitimate...its more the cost of going to the doctor i was thinkin about,€50 is far too expensive for birth control check ups! my family is full of nurses who check my blood pressure (which is fine) thats all the doctor does too. anyone else stocked up on it? did it seem the exact same to you corcors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Just want to point out that it is always advisable to visit your gp for check up and that buying medicaions without perscription in foregin countries is at your own risk and you should not follow advice of people from the interwebs, no matter how lovely they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 corcors

did it seem the exact same to you corcors?

Yeah it seemed to be I've been on Yasmin for years and when I was in Thailand I got a 6 month supply and it seemed the exact same.

I'm not advocating stocking up on a years supply and not going to the doctor but I was travelling at the time and about to run out so it was convenience. As you say yourself smilingeyerish all doctors really do is check your blood pressure so as long as you're getting that done regularly you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

I was in Thailand a few years ago and bought 12mths worth of 'Diane' which is the Dianette equivilent over there...its made by Schering Plough for that market too, and had the same active ingredients so I thought, hey, what the hell...
    No worries - saved me a fortune...like others said, its the price of the €60 blood pressure check I object too.

Anytime I was at the docs anyway, I'd just get a repeat perscription and after that ended, used the Thai ones til I was sick enough to warrant a doctor trip again and get a repeat and so on....its all gone now, but I'd defo do it again...

Incidentally, I bought a few morning after pills over there too (Levonelle - same as they use over here as far as I know...) and they seemed to work too...

Its probably a very slight risk with anything like this (as per a few of the above cases)..but if you are willing to take it, its a great moneysaver..

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

if it were a generic brand id be wary but if its the brand yasmin then its the same as over here.
    i stock up on different medicines when I am abroad and where its available over the counter saves a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

^^ Same here, I think it should be fine OP.. Maybe just check with your Doc first though..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement