Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed... please

• 23-07-2008 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have worked in manufacturing for the last 11 years and just recently accepted redundancy.
    I've been considering accountancy for some time so last year I enrolled with IPASS on their certified payroll technician course and will be sitting my final exams next month. I have an equivalent ord. degree in computing level 7 along with other technical qualifications. What I would like some help with is advice on the route available to me in becoming a chartered accountant. I am considering enrolling with the ACCA and then possibly sitting the F1-F3 exams with BPP. At present I am out there actively chasing down accounts positions however am finding that my lack of experience is a major issue when it comes to employers filling their vacancies. If any one has undertaken a similar career change I would really like to hear from you.

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Tom you would be looking at joining a practice as a trainee accountant.

I would recommend if viable to return to education ie Uni and doing a degree in Accounting. On completion of this you will gain exemptions from the lower level ACCA papers.

Alternatively, join a practice as a trainee accountant (low wage) and progress through ACCA exam papers from start.

Check out www.recruitireland.com for positions or the ACCA website itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭The CCAinsider

A degree would only slow down you getting your qualification. If you can afford to go back to college, you can afford the minimum wage for a year as a trainee in a practice or slightly better wages as a wages clerk in a larger organisation. If you can knock out 3 exams every sitting you will be at the finals in 18 months, but as you get near the end of the fundamental level the exams get harder. Budget 2 years and you should be OK. The finals will take a minimum of 1 year, but again budget 2. Your employer should be paying your tuition and exam fees. There is an age bias in some firms, but only in a good way. Some firms like to send more mature people to see clients rather than young people, so a trainee position should be possible. Aim for mid tier firms, the biggest firms tend to only take on collage graduates for their training programmes.

Advertisement