Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick biking loop in Cork.

Options
  • 23-07-2008 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭

I don't know if there are any people in here from Cork, it's not a very biking-friendly city [like the rest of the country :rolleyes:], but I thought I'd post a short and fast route that's good for exercise in the city. Sure, most people already know it, but there might be a few who don't..

k4i3xk.png

Google Maps /General Area

It's pretty much all on paths away from the road, but there's a short stretch by Blackrock Castle where you have to go on the road or narrow footpath.

To get here:
    Head down to the docks - East of Town, South of the river, City Hall side - go East to R&H Hall the big factory tower thing, at the Shell Garage go down the long straight road to the left, follow this road down to the river's edge, continue until you get to Atlantic Pond on your right, then turn right down "The Line". You can see the path joining the loop from Atlantic Pond in the top left of the map above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Thanks,I'm in Cork but I'm a blow-in so the more information I can get the better.

Mostly if I'm starting from work (western road) I head out Macroom direction and if I'm heading from home (Cobh) I head in Dungarvan direction. I particularly love the dungarvan route because of the great hard shoulder. I have to start getting out Kinsale direction more. I see lots of proper bikies heading out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Oh, I'm by no means a proper bikey, I just like having somewhere that I can bike indiscriminately in the lashing rain.

I'm here long enough to realise we do get lots of lashing rain in Cork ;) I also love that you can be out of the city in 10 minutes no matter where you start. In Dublin it often took me an hour to clear the traffic to go to Wicklow. I do miss Dublin for non-sport reasons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

I too am a blow in so glad of ANY info. Most of my rides are around Carrigaline/Kinsale/Douglas etc although for longer spins I find the Iniscarra/Coachford a lovely spin.

If you do see someone struggling on his Bianchi please say hello....and give me a tow...

I've probably seen you on the iniscarra road. We go out there swimming quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    I too am a blow in so glad of ANY info. Most of my rides are around Carrigaline/Kinsale/Douglas etc although for longer spins I find the Iniscarra/Coachford a lovely spin.

If you do see someone struggling on his Bianchi please say hello....and give me a tow...

there is a nice uphill drag all the way to Nad if you branch off from the Coachford route. Very Scenic ( Code for 'I climb so slowly I have time to take in the country side') - will be on the route this evening - easy to spot in liquigas colours

ajk24 wrote: »
    there is a nice uphill drag all the way to Nad if you branch off from the Coachford route. Very Scenic ( Code for 'I climb so slowly I have time to take in the country side') - will be on the route this evening - easy to spot in liquigas colours

Yea -I like taking in the scenery too...:D

Not sure if that is the one with the semi hairpin just off the main Macroom road? If so that is lovely - did it for the first time at the weekend "Knockshanawee" according to mapmyrun..

Yea -I like taking in the scenery too...:D

Not sure if that is the one with the semi hairpin just off the main Macroom road? If so that is lovely - did it for the first time at the weekend "Knockshanawee" according to mapmyrun..

close - same road (R619) but take the northern route out of the centre of coachford and turn left on to the R579 - Nad is 23km from Coachford

I'm planning to get out for about 4.5 - 5 hours on Friday afternoon/early evening if anyone fancies a spin.

I'm planning to get out for about 4.5 - 5 hours on Friday afternoon/early evening if anyone fancies a spin.

do you have a route in mind? (mapmyrun)

• Advertisement

Would love to but up in Dublin. Some evening next week maybe?

Maybe we can form our Cork Boards to rival the Dublin One....SPLITTERS!!!

No route in mind yet, so open to suggestions. Was thinking Killarney way purely because I want to scope it out for a ultramarathon I'm thinking of organising.

Midweek sounds great. Training for next week says a 3 hour spin during the week and 5:40 at the weekend.

Next week it is so. As a relative beginner I hope I won't slow you too much!!

Hopefully another couple of boardies might join us!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

Would love to but up in Dublin. Some evening next week maybe?

Maybe we can form our Cork Boards to rival the Dublin One....SPLITTERS!!!

Sounds like a great idea.
    Im situated on the western site of Cork city. Do most of my cycling on the Nad. Macroom, Copeen, Bandon routes. Find the roads to be very safe and quiet. Im kinda busy this week and next due to weddings / holidays etc. But i wouldnt mind meeting up in the future.. Must have a look at mapmyride to see if i can put some routes up

So how about the week after next (say 5th August?) Give me an idea of distances and speeds you would like and I'll come up with a couple of routes?

Should be fine for that. HunnyMonster. As I said I'm a relative begineer so will bring a tow rope....

Anyone going to actually use this, or has this thread become the unofficial Cork biking club ? : P

As i said earlier, ive a lot on for the next few weeks, and to further compound things, i work shift, so im either totally free for a day or not availible at all. As for preferences for distances, I wouldnt mind a 2-3 hour spin to start off, to guage peoples levels, etc. My level is not great either!!!

Baza210, sounds like a good route for a spin in the city. Does it actually go down by the Marina walk, all the way down to blackrock castle, or do you have to get back on the roads. U might have set in motion the Boards.ie cycling club (cork chapter), maybe it will be called after u.

I definitly remember seeing a Liquigas cycling outfit knocking around the place ajk74. Do you do the Crookstown Coppeen Macroom loop much? Think i met u once going the opposite direction.

Beached wrote: »
    As i said earlier, ive a lot on for the next few weeks, and to further compound things, i work shift, so im either totally free for a day or not availible at all. As for preferences for distances, I wouldnt mind a 2-3 hour spin to start off, to guage peoples levels, etc. My level is not great either!!!

Baza210, sounds like a good route for a spin in the city. Does it actually go down by the Marina walk, all the way down to blackrock castle, or do you have to get back on the roads. U might have set in motion the Boards.ie cycling club (cork chapter), maybe it will be called after u.

I definitly remember seeing a Liquigas cycling outfit knocking around the place ajk74. Do you do the Crookstown Coppeen Macroom loop much? Think i met u once going the opposite direction.

i tend to stay to the northern side of the main macroom road(coachford/rylane/nad, although for short spins I go ballincollig to lissarda although the hard shoulder surface is bloody awful and there is a lot of trucks on the road all day every day. i particularly like the 'cycle lane' out by podsie o mahoneys pub. broken surface painted red with an inch of light gravel.

3 hours for mid-week spin would suit (80km?) - wednesdays preferrably football tues/thurs

god bless podsies cycle lane. There is nearly always a car parked directly outside the pub on the actual lane, and last year there was a Bertie Ahearn election poster extending into the lane. Must have punched Bertie at least 20 times, passing by it.
    Wednesdays would be the optimal evenings also when im available

• Advertisement

god bless podsies cycle lane. There is nearly always a car parked directly outside the pub on the actual lane, and last year there was a Bertie Ahearn election poster extending into the lane. Must have punched Bertie at least 20 times, passing by it.
    Wednesdays would be the optimal evenings also when im available

as a ballincollig man - god bless podsie in general :D

Does it actually go down by the Marina walk, all the way down to blackrock castle, or do you have to get back on the roads

Well there is a wide-ish footpath from the inlet to the West of Blackrock Castle ie Cork Boat Club to the end of the Marina.

Advertisement